The ' Rocky ' Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

905 likes this.
  2. Michael

me too...Creed 3!

905 likes this.
  3. Michael

cool! have a Rocky marathon. ; )

BILLONEEG and 905 like this.
  4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

That is definitely a Rocky road I will travel often. That trip is worth it!!! The Creed movies are great too.

5. Michael

me too..I love the Creed movies as well. ...I saw all of the Rocky movies "at the movies"...

905 likes this.
  6. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I'm still a bit bitter about killing of Apollo. He was such a charismatic character. Just put him in a coma or something.

905 likes this.
  7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Killing Creed demonstrates how many steroids that Drago uses, though. It helps to demonstrate that he has superhuman powers.

squittolo likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

There have been many deaths in the boxing ring.
    None of the boxers had "superhuman powers"

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  9. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

the first rocky is my favorite. there is an interesting gentleness and warmth. I also found the "Marty-like" romance between Rocky and Adrian to be very moving.

10. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Still, it helps to demonstrate how powerful Drago's punch is.

11. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

I like 1, 3 and 4. The others are awful yes. Really hoping Stallone puts out Rocky IV Director's Cut on Blu-ray soon. I don't know if it's better than the original one, but a 'better alternative version' is how I'd put it.

12. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Spoilers for those who haven't seen them all or have forgotten.

First off, Rocky V is vastly underrated and sadly dismissed by many, including Stallone. It deals with the reality of losing it all when you're a rich celebrity if you make bad decisions, as well as a young fighter being taken advantage of by rich folks who don't really care about you as a person.
    The original Rocky is of course a classic, well directed and acted. That Rocky doesn't win at the end and all he cares about is going the distance and being with Adrian is what makes it even better, as well as realistic.
    Part 2 is pretty good and has some fun moments although it's not a great film, it's pretty good, and the "Yo Adrian, I did it" always works as the best ending of all of them, IMO.
    Rocky III is pretty realistic, as far as losing your edge goes and needing to learn how to get it back, as well as learning how to fight differently to face a particular opponent. The friendship between two former rivals, Rocky and Apollo is the best twist of the series.
    Rocky IV is as overrated as V is underrated. Th entire U.S. vs the USSR idea is over the top, as is the entire Drago character and that no one can beat him but Rocky. I could deal with IV had it not killed off Apollo. Stallone goes from the best twist in any series with their friendship in III, to the worse in IV.

13. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I agree. It's very underrated and returns to the atmosphere of the first 2 movies.

The relationship between Tommy and Rocky is interesting and the decision to let Rocky vicariously live through the career of his protegé is a smart one.
    The effects of this relationship on his family life are fitting and a good way to progress the story. I like that we see more of his family, who were basically relegated to being background characters in the previous two movies.

Rocky 3 and 4 were entertaining but more cartoonish. Continuing that trend would have been difficult. How would you trump a super human athlete like Drago in a sequel?

I do think that this is what people expected and wanted at the time and in that regard Rocky 5 can feel like a let down with Rocky not even stepping into the ring.

14. 80steen

80steen John McClane

His ring was outside :laugh: but seriously, you're right. I should have expanded, as you did, on how good the Rocky living through Tommy is for the plot. Plus, the street fight is as good as any bout in the ring.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    905 and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  15. Michael

IMO, one of the main problems with R5 is; the fight should have taken place in the RING not the street as all the others were... that ruined the prospect of a great fight! what we were served was a ridiculous street fight...meaningless to say the least...
    ROCKY entertains in the ring! as all the others were...

16. Michael

really? the last one Rocky Balboa was the most heartfelt... a great fight and a beautiful swansong...

905 likes this.
  17. 80steen

80steen John McClane

At the time though, the idea was Rocky was never gonna plan a ring fight because he was retired and suffering from brain damage due to his bouts in the ring, especially from Drago. V is supposed to be not long after IV. I always thought the street fight was a great twist and pretty bad ass :agree:

18. Michael

that's hysterical as he got beaten up brutally way more than if he took the fight in the RING...funny stuff...

19. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Well he didn't expect Tommy to show up and punch Paulie, so it called for swift justice. Plus Rocky in the ring always blocked punches with his face

20. Michael

justice in the ring...; )
    and he would have made millions....just an opinion.

21. Michael

collectively all of the Rocky movies are fun and loved by many. I never get tired of watching them... I wasn't crazy about the DC of 4...

22. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Yeah, he tells Adrian at the lawyer's office that a couple of fights and they'd be back in their feet but he'd already gotten the brain scans back and she didn't want him to fight regardless. I see your point, if he's gonna risk his head now he might as well get paid, but it was heat of the moment. But still, for me, killing Apollo was worse than anything in V

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

He got more damage in the street fight for sure...barefisted no holds barred was not a good thing.

24. 80steen

80steen John McClane

Yeah, he probably knocks Tommy out early in the ring

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

without a doubt! quick, easypeasy and profitable. ; ) he trained him well but not well enough!