The Rolling Stones 1966-1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZoJo9800, Feb 25, 2022.

1. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Aftermath incredibly Overrated oh but they wrote all their own songs
    Half a good album. The UK VERSION
    Is 50 minutes long similar to highway 61.
    Between the buttons is lame.
    The USA version contained the hits.
    TSMQ is not a bad album .
    It contains 20 minutes of good music
    Which makes it a good album

Mark J likes this.
  2. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I will get slammed in the virtual package for saying this, but here goes....

Satanic Majesties was their last good record. Everything after disinterests me.

3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Those dates doesn’t hold up:

“All You Need Is Love”:
    Recorded 14/19/23-26 June 1967.
    Released in the UK, 7 July 1967.

“We Love You”:
    Recorded 13/21 June + 2/19 July 1967. Released in the UK, 18 August 1967.

So in reality, “We Love You” was started before “All You Need Is Love” and recorded around the same time. Music backing track even finished before The Beatles’ song.
    Lyric wise, it may have been inspired by The Beatles, as the last two recording dates for “We Love You” was after “All You Need Is Love”. But there is no proof of it. “We Love You” is not about universal love either. It’s a “we love your support” to their fanbase.
    Again, it’s the usual “The Beatles did everything first and best”-worshipping. Spun by myths from people who wasn’t there.

Tristero, Mark J, btltez and 3 others like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know someone who liked them right from their debut single who agrees with this and hates everything afterwards.

Crimson Witch and ROFLnaked like this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

The Stones got busted first. It's amazing what they achieved under those circumstances.

55 YEARS AGO: MICK JAGGER & KEITH RICHARDS GET BUSTED FOR DRUGS

55 YEARS AGO: MICK JAGGER & KEITH RICHARDS GET BUSTED FOR DRUGS

It was 55 years ago Saturday (February 12th, 1967) that the Rolling Stones‘ Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were arrested at Richards’ West Sussex, England home for drug possession. The bust followed Donovan‘s arrest by the same drug squad, led by Norman Pilcher, the previous year, and sparked not only public debate within the rock community, but also within the underground and conservative press. Eric Claptonreportedly escaped arrest by Pilcher — who rang his doorbell pretending to be a mailman — by fleeing from his back door.

Jagger and Richards, along with Jagger’s then-girlfriend Marianne Faithfull and various friends, including photographer Michael Cooper — who shot the Beatles‘ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover — art dealer Robert Fraser, and George and Pattie Harrison, were partying after a Stones recording session at Richards’ country estate, Redlands.

According to the Stones, the raid was a set-up by the British newspaper The News Of The World, which had earlier reported that Jagger had taken LSD at a party thrown by the Moody Blues. Jagger immediately began legal proceedings against the paper for slander. According to Bill Wyman‘s 1990 autobiography Stone Alone, an informant reported the details of Richards’ party to The News Of The World, who in turn told the London drug squad. The arresting officers waited until after the Harrison’s left the party to charge the house, presenting Richards with a warrant issued under the Dangerous Drugs Act of 1965.

Jagger was accused of illegally possessing four tablets containing amphetamine sulphate and methylamphetamine hydrochloride and Richards was charged with “allowing his house to be used for the purpose of smoking cannabis.” Fraser was charged with possession of heroin and eight capsules of methylamphetamine hydrochloride. On May 10th, Jagger, Richards, and Fraser appeared in court and were each released on $200 bail.

On June 27th, Jagger’s trial began, with Richards’ and Fraser’s starting the next day. During the trial, much was made of Faithfull being nude and wrapped in a bear rug when police arrived, which was supposed to suggest to the jury that she was under the effects of drugs and not in command of her senses.

On June 29th, Jagger was sentenced to three months in jail for possession of amphetamines and Richards to one year for allowing his home to be used for cannabis use. The Stones appealed the decision.

btltez and All Down The Line like this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

When I was a young teen and just getting into record buying I knew this guy about ten years older than I was and he was of the opinion that the Stones went downhill after they stopped doing Chuck Berry songs.
    He hated everything they did from ' Aftermath' onwards.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I totally see where my friend is coming from. He was never taken with hard rock music, preferring the likes of The Byrds, Beach Boys, US singer songwriters and soul music. I don't think he minds some of Beggars Banquet, he does own that, but he just finds them naff afterwards.

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Same here!

Mr. Bewlay, BZync, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I'm sure this will be sacrilegious to some, but Flowers has always been my favorite album of that era. Some will argue that it isn't a proper album, but I don't care. It has the best stuff on it.

I also prefer the U.S. Rubber Soul, which inflames some in that camp. Origin just doesn't matter to me. Songs do.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've only just realised that the Aftermath sleeve is similar to Rubber Soul with the slanted photo.

notesfrom and tug_of_war like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Always loved Aftermath and it would've been even more great if this was a double album.
    They certainly had enough material (including the singles from that era) to make a 2-LP set out of this.
    side 1
    19th Nervous Breakdown
    Stupid Girl
    Lady Jane
    Under My Thumb
    Long Long While

side 2
    Paint It, Black
    It's Not Easy
    Doncha Bother Me
    I Am Waiting
    Out Of Time

side 3
    Mother's Little Helper
    Sad Day
    Think
    Take It Or Leave It
    Ride On, Baby
    What To Do

side 4
    Flight 505
    High And Dry
    I'm Going Home
    Sitting On A Fence

12. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Thank you for starting this thread. The photo is stunning. This band, this period was my musical coming of age. Between The Buttons was the first album I ever purchased with my own money. Saved my 50-cents per week allowance for seven weeks and paid $3.50 at the McChord Air Force Base BX store. Man, did I ever love that record. Played it TO DEATH on my sister's Sears Silvertone record player. I've always seen Aftermath/Between The Buttons as the Rolling Stones' equivalent to The Beatles' Rubber Soul/Revolver.

Anyway, great thread idea. I agree...if only someone would take on the challenge of "Mark Lewisohn-ing" this period...

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh, and I also love Satanic Majesties, of course. One of the greatest psychedelic rock albums out there.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Can everyone please specify whether they are referring to the UK or US versions of Aftermath and Between The Buttons.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

This is by far my favorite Stones era .

It was the era when they were the most creative in my opinion.

I like all Stones eras through the 80’s I guess . They did nice R&B earlier and rocked harder later but 1966- 1967 is the era I love the most.

As a US kid it was Flowers, Between the Buttons, Aftermath and Their Satanic Majesties Request that blew me away, and still does.

Years ago I started a thread making a comp of their Renaissance/fop dandies sort of things and this is what I started with .

Obviously this doesn’t account for amazing things like “Paint It Black” or “Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing Shadow?”

And I always have to mention that the first concert I went to was the Stones on July 10th, 1966. What a concert to start my concert career with . :D

Ruby Tuesday
    Lady Jane
    Yesterday's Papers
    Play With Fire
    Sad Day
    Out Of Time
    Back Street Girl
    Take It Or Leave It
    If You Let Me (Metamorphosis)
    Dandelion
    Sittin' On a Fence
    I Am Waiting
    Ride On Baby
    She Smiled Sweetly ( Stately organ! :D )
    She's a Rainbow
    As Tears Go By
    New Faces ( Voodoo Lounge 1994, but it might as well have been on Flowers! )
    Who's Been Sleeping Here?

17. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Except for Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out, right? :)

18. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

They were friends and knew what each other were up to. The stones didn't need to wait for fabs records to be released to kow what was happening, and they could have been commenting on the fabs "love" songs or the hippies generally. WLY was very sarcastic, so they invited John and Paul to be on it.

19. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

"Here's a quarter. Go buy yourself an ice cream." ;)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I love early Rolling Stones records!
    Always have. I'm intrigued with the period in purview as well, and yes it was fertile but also it was dark―there were forces from outside the band looking toward centre ring to do them harm; British police, Judge Block the unmerciful chairman of the bench at Chichester, David Schneiderman-Britton-Jove and his forbidding briefcase of LSD which, imo, would seed the undoing of Brian's relationships with Anita, Mick, and Keith. There was also the slow-motion, seemingly unstoppable trainwreck that unfolded in the form of an unsuspecting, close-shadowing of Brian by the most disloyal, deceitful, and unsafe elements lurking the periphery of the Stones camp, which led to Brian eventually being surrounded in his private life by people who did not have his welfare or best interest in their hearts―an unsavory crowd, to put it quite mildly. His paranoia was timely but unfortunately not in any way the least bit helpful to him. I won't romanticise any elements of danger during those times by attempting to suggest some sort of magik at work creating an aura of dark power. Whatever dark undercurrents were rushing unseen just beneath the surface and which became evident in their songs wouldn't fully begin to manifest until 1968. But 1967 was a strange year and I don't think spending ten months in jail was exactly part of Keith's master plan. The encapsulating document of this is the track “We Love You” which to me marks the start of a series of dark, foreboding, cynical, apocalyptic-themed songs that are the pinnacle of the turbulent power in Jagger and Richards' writing; “Jumpin'Jack Flash”, “Street Fighting Man”, “Gimme Shelter”, and “Midnight Rambler” are the following four chapters in that volume.

Aftermath (1966) has some incredible recordings―while not my favourite from the period (most of the tracks are exceptional as individual songs, but the compilation and sequencing leaves me just a bit dissatisfied; I'm certain the inclusion of “Goin' Home” has a lot to do with this. “Take it or Leave It” has never been a track I particularly care for either, though it only appears on the UK edition.

While I don't care too much for Flowers or Satanic Majesties Req., (as albums, that is - basically for the same type of reasons as why Aftermath isnt a favourite) , Between the Buttons UK edition is my second favourite Rolling Stones album, after the U.S. lp Rolling Stones Now ! It is a completely unique , experimental, and sadly, henceforth further unexplored avenue of style and fertility that was wonderfully organic, possessing a spontaneity that would not long thereafter dissolve into formula and predictability.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  21. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Amazing! I got it too when it came out at the BX at USAF Upper Heyford (now RAF Upper Heyford) in the UK. A couple days later I went with an English friend into Banbury, Oxfordshire to get his. We were amazed they looked the same but had slightly different tracklists.

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Aftermath to the Flowers compilation is my second favorite period but the 1969 Stones Rule.

classicrocker likes this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Here’s an interesting thought I had regarding Between the Buttons I had a few years ago, so I’m gonna cut and paste it to this thread :

I think Mick is a great vocal stylist, and I wouldn't want him to alter his style .

That being said, he was never a great traditional singer in the sense of a McCartney or whomever.
    I personally enjoy hearing Mick sing on Between the Buttons because that's about as close as we got to his natural voice IMO. No black bluesman imitations or exaggerated southern drawls, etc.

Like any master, Mick has learned to absorb his influence , shake them up and create his own vocal persona, but if you woke him up in the middle of the night and asked him to sing he'd probably sound more like "Yesterday's Papers " Mick than say... "Dear Doctor"Mick.

Also, pertaining to this thread, people may talk about heavy metal as “rocking” but with its sometimes almost operatic lead vocals and endless guitar scales and sweeping arpeggios, it’s not “rocking “ to me.

Is there anything wilder and more off the rails sounding than say.. “Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In the Shadow?” or “We Love You”?

These songs sound like the reckless abandon I want in a rock and roll song, not carefully practiced sweeping arpeggios.:laugh:

24. Glenn Christense

Yes, I love Flowers also.
    Younger people might not realize though that in that era, well before we knew everything about everything, a Stones album, etc., just would appear at the store.

We didn’t know it was a hodge podge of tracks, it was just a new Stones album.

So the people that sniff now and say the US Rubber Soul or Flowers suck maybe don’t realize that that’s what was in the stores, so we bought them and loved them.

25. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Flowers was my first Stones album, so that factors in to my liking it so much, but I think if you didn't know where the songs came from, it would sound like a perfectly cohesive album, so that's what it is to me.

905, The Quiet One, dee and 6 others like this.