The Rolling Stones - Big Hits And Through The Past, Darkly SHM-CDs (10/30)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by granola, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I had my suspicions, why waste two good new mastering efforts on vinyl alone?

I'm kidding!
    I bought them too... :D

2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yep I too was fortunate enough to get the 2 RSD vinyl release of Hits and Through the Past. These new cds are 5 inch (roughly I have not measured them) as compared to the 7 inch mono Japan only cd box. The sleeves in the European mono cd box were pretty good overall although Number 2 was not quite correct in colour in my opinion. Nice to have these new ones as I still remember going out to look for mono vinyl copies of these 2 fine albums after being made aware my stereo versions were not good enough by a Stones fan.

When In Rome likes this.
  3. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Thanks. That's why I asked for safety.

4. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

posting so i can watch this thread in case anybody ever listens to these.

5. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have already the 3-cd-box "Singles Collection - The London Years". Do both releases have better sound quality?

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

For future reference, there is a Watch Thread/Unwatch Thread link at the top right of each page in a thread.

7. Someone will need to send them to forum member lukpac for a definitive answer.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/members/lukpac.6/

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The Octagon of delight and High Tide are here looking most scrumptious. I'd sooner High Tide had the five tracks on later lps in stereo presumably a marketing decision by ABKCO as they released the Octogon as it was but at least it out now.

9. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I have Rolled Gold + on vinyl which was a bargain at the time apart from my early 80's lp copies so didn't need the RSD versions.

10. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Received mine yesterday and playing them now as I peck away on my tablet. As already stated, the packaging is super superb. Big Hits is indeed all mono, Through the Past stereo...You Better Move On mono. Ruby Tuesday is the correct mix, no missing vocals.
    Overall, both are a real fine listen. Can't tell you whether these are the same RSD vinyl release mastering since I don't have them to compare to but I'm well chuffed about every aspect of these.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Edit...I just noted on Through the Past mastering credit is given to Robert Ludwig, lacquers cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road. Couldn't find any such credits on Big Hits. Don't know if this will answer any questions?

12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Same source as what came out in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.