The Rolling Stones : ( Definitely Not ) Sucking in the Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

11/10 Get Your Ya-Ya's Out!
    11/10 Sticky Fingers
    11/10 Exile On Main Street
    9/10 Goat's Head Soup
    9/10 It's Only Rock N Roll
    8/10 Black And Blue
    8/10 Love You Live
    9.5/10 Some Girls

If you want to include "Emotional Rescue" because of when it was recorded...8.5/10

Been my favorite band for many years now and the only band that could ever have a chance of taking that spot would be "The Who" and that all depends if Pete Townshend can pull a 1000 pound rabbit out of his hat, come 12/6.

2. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I pretty much second your sentiments on Exile though I'd bump it down to C+ and upgrade SF to solid A (treacly Wild Horses keeps it from A+)... have to spin IORR tomorrow with your rave rating in mind...

Curveboy likes this.
  3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Great tours in 1981 & 1982, all looked bright and rosy by then. However, previously they'd toured every year from 1969 to 1973, did so extensively in '75-'76 as well as '78, one-offs in '77 and '79... it was unusual for there to be nothing at all (when it happened in 1974 that was also a definite sign of trouble, luckily averted when Ron Wood joined), and so it was in 1980 when Woody was busted for Cocaine possession and the future looked uncertain again, with no real group activity beyond those awkward music videos. Jagger after the album came out claimed they'd be touring the world later that year, but in the end it didn't happen

4. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Get Your Ya-Ya's Out! B+
    Sticky Fingers A
    Exile On Main Street A+
    Goat's Head Soup A-
    It's Only Rock N Roll B+
    Black And Blue B+
    Love You Live C
    Some Girls B+

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Stones definitely slowed down from 1977-80, but as I mentioned earlier, that wasn't unusual.

Yes, in retrospect, we can see their slow "break-up" started back then, but there were issues as far back as 1973, given how "checked out" Keith was for so much of that period.

If they'd not gone and done the big 1981-82 tour, then I'd be more inclined to see the slower schedule of 1977-1980 as more meaningful. As it stands, I think they just slowed down the same as most of their peers and don't think much more about it...

6. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Amen.

steelinYaThighs and RogerB like this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Goats Head Soup remains my favourite of their 70's output. Then in order....

Sticky Fingers
    Exile
    Black & Blue
    Emotional Rescue
    Its Only Rock n Roll
    Some Girls

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  8. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

Ya Yas - B
    Sticky Fingers-A-
    Exile-A-
    Goat-B
    It's only rock and roll-C
    Black and Blue-C
    Love you live-C
    Some Girls-B
    Metamorphosis-C
    There's moments on all of them that are really decent.

9. Silvertrain

Silvertrain Forum Resident

Tattoo You from 1981 is also a seventies album. :)

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

And let’s not forget much of Sticky and some of Exile was written in the 60’s.

steelinYaThighs, smoke and mikeja75 like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Hated Goats Head Soup when it was released. Bought it, took it home and played it and was underwhelmed. I like it now, it grew on me over the last few decades.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

70's good! Sucking in the 80's, for sure.

13. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Sticky fingers is amazing and my 2nd favorite stones album after let it bleed.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Not really, there was extensive overdubbing and a brand new recording ("Heaven") added at the end of 1980. Plus that snare sound... that screams '80s to me, though not enough not to spoil things

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    roger87, Davido, Bill Diercks and 3 others like this.
  15. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Not wild about IORR, mainly because the mixes are so cluttered, and because some of the rockers are really generic. That said, "Time Waits For No One" is essential, even if Sir Mick overdoes the Van Morrison-isms every now & then. And "Fingerprint File" is really funky, when it's at the right speed...

All the other 70s Stones LPs are worth having, along with Brussels Affair, which really captured them on a great night.

SF is a solid A
    EOMS is an A+++ - one of the best double LPs in rock history
    GHS is a B+/A- if you can get past the dead studio acoustics.
    IORR is a C for the reasons stated above.
    B&B is a solid A- for me because it is the best studio recording the Stones ever did.
    SG is a solid A for me because it's both angry and funny as hell. Plus the bonus album of outtakes on the Deluxe Edition merits an A as well.

Don't get me started on ER, I've never warmed to that album, and anyway, it does belong in the 80s.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The right speed is the original speed. That version on the Japanese CD is awful.

17. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

They most certainly did NOT suck in the 70s.

Sticky Fingers: A+
    Exile: A+
    Goats Head: A-
    It's Only Rock & Roll: B+
    Black & Blue: B
    Some Girls: A-

Ladies and Gentlemen - A-
    Brussels Affair - A

I was so pleased to be informed of this, that I ran twenty red lights in His honor.

18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Great review. Am gonna pick up the newer live albums from this decade.From the Vault series... chronically
    Live at the Marquee 1971 - really surprised they are not as polished as on YaYas. Band is tenative at times.
    Ladies and Gentlemen 1972- soundtrack to the film. Set is fantastic but sound is C.
    Brussels Affair 1973- the greatest live album evah! GHS songs jump live. Best ending with Rip, JJF and St. Fightin Man
    LA Forum 1975-amazing the change in sound in two years and one band member replacement.Sludgy on purpose
    SG Live in Texas 1978- nice return to form. Not as polished as on BA. Purposely sloppy to show the punks how it’s done.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Greil Marcus contends that the 60s was not the decade for the Stones...it was the 70s where they flexed their muscle and individuality.

I must agree.

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Funny...Black and Blue is my solid A. Not to mention that it is a sonic wonder.

21. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Every Stones album in the '70s was greeted with,"Meh, not as good as the last one." Then, a year later, you'd put it on and, "HOLY ****!!!"

smoke, stax o' wax and CybrKhatru like this.
  22. Etherpitch65

Etherpitch65 Forum Resident

I agree with you on Exile Has been my favorite album for about 40 years. Never get sick of it. Love all the others except GHS. Something about that album that prevents me from listening all the way through. "Star Star"and "Doo Doo Doo " are great,but Dancing with Mr.D sounds limp and muddy,and Johnny Winter's cover of "silver train" kills the original.

23. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

The 70’s output by the Stones has been unfairly criticised post Exile. I love all those albums to a degree. Top 3 is easy for me;

exile
    Sticky Fingers
    Some Girls

I do feel that Some Girls could have been even better. I would have dropped Lies and Just my imagination and replaced them with Everything’s turning to gold and I Need you.

RogerB likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

o_O

I think it's one of the highlights of their career.

steelinYaThighs and Jack like this.
  25. CDFanatic

CDFanatic Forum Resident

I love this decade of The Stones. Sticky Fingers is perfect. And despite Goats Head & It's Only Rock N' Roll showing some signs of boredom they are wicked records. Even when they were coasting they did it with flare. I think Black & Blue is a underrated classic. The seventies Stones set the template for so much that came after & they pretty much defined (for good or bad) rock star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.