The Rolling Stones : ( Definitely Not ) Sucking in the Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

FWIW, the Sucking in the 70's album contained no songs from SF, EOMS, or GHS.
    Here's the tracklist:
    Shattered (SG)
    Everything is Turning to Gold (Shattered B-side)
    Hot Stuff (BB)
    Time Waits for No One (IORR)
    Fool to Cry (BB)
    Mannish Boy (LYL)
    When the Whip Comes Down (Live)
    If I Was a Dancer (Dance Pt. 2) (ER sessions)
    Crazy Mama (BB)
    Beast of Burden (SG)

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They probably didn't want to duplicate tracks from Made In The Shade on this but it also seems strange that they omitted Miss You which had not appeared on a compilation yet. In addition, many of the tracks are edited.

steelinYaThighs and Curveboy like this.
  3. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Wow, most of the songs from the much derided "Black and Blue" album... perhaps an attempt to get people to reassess? Good marketing strategy though not the most accurate representation of the Seventies?

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

But they still managed to omit Hand of Fate my favorite track from the mediocre album.

The rarities are cool but I prefer the track listing on the Time Wait For No One Anthology 1971-1977. It includes Hand of Fate.

5. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Hope you didn't have to buy it twice then! "Hand of Fate" is the classic Stones sound in a blues rock vein, and may have clashed with "Mannish Boy"... guess they wanted to sell more copies of the El Mocambo record too.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Time Waits For No One Anthology includes If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud from Love You Live.

7. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Just joshin' lol. It's all about personal taste and preferences.

I don't quite get the negativity "Angie" tends to get personally, from a melodic standpoint it's possibly the best Keith ever wrote. It's a good step outside the typical run-of-the-mill open G Stones tunes, which are all great. I always loved this tune. Just because it's viewed as a tad schmaltzy doesn't make it bad in my book. Goats Heads Soup is one I tend to spin most often as well, even if I don't regard it as one of their all-time best, but still very good (I like It's Only Rock 'n' Roll more).

While I'm at it, in terms of studio albums, I'll go:

Sticky Fingers - 10/10
    Exile on Main St. - 9.5/10
    Goats Head Soup - 8/10
    It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - 8.5/10
    Black and Blue - 6.5/10
    Some Girls - 9/10

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  8. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Come on, everyone knows the 80's really begun in 1982... :D

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Sticky Fingers - 10/10
    Exile on Main St. - 18/10
    Goat's Head Soup - 9/10
    It's Only Rock and Roll - 7/10
    Black and Blue - 6/10
    Some Girls - 10/10
    Emotional Rescue - 7/10
    Tattoo You - 9/10

The last two were recorded in the seventies, although not released until later. Technicalities :D

10. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Plenty of highlights but to me their mid-70s output falls into the hodgepodge of ten years earlier with "The Rolling Stones No. 2" and "Out of Our Heads" and mid-80s with "Dirty Work" and mid-90s with "Voodoo Lounge" and mid-00s with "A Bigger Bang". The Stones should definitely stick to releasing albums at the end of and at the beginning of decades.

11. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

It was always expensive and only 7500 made worldwide.
    It's a highly sought after box set (and a nice one at that) so I don't think it will ever come down in price.
    Last I saw you can still buy 'em at the Stones online site.

12. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Most eloquent post Parachute Woman!! I could have spent years and not expressed my feelings about this great band and these incredible albums as you did in this post.

This band and these albums are the soundtrack of my life. Sometimes I just can’t find the words. But you did it beautifully! Thanks!

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That's an understatement!

14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Fave tracks from this great era (post Exile):

1. 100 Years Ago
    2. Heartbreaker
    3. Luxury
    4. Fingerprint File
    5. Fool to Cry
    6. Hand of Fate
    7. Miss You
    8. Beast of Burden
    9. Before They Make Me Run
    10. Shattered

15. All Down The Line

No I'd say you are pretty sound.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I love the run from Sticky Fingers through Tatoo You. Some incredible high points and no low points. After all these years, I'm glad for albums like Goats Head Soup, because its from the classic Stones era, but it was not abused with thousands of plays by AOR or Classic Rock radio.

The sound and feel seemed to begin to change with Undercover, and more so with Dirty Work and Steel Wheels. More craftmanship than inspiration. I still listen to the entire Stones Catalog, except for Bigger Bang and the blues album.

17. All Down The Line

High quality list, I'd swap out Luxury for the near epic Time Waits For No One & perhaps Fool To Cry for the yearning Memory Motel.
    N.b. Oh and that monster international ballad hit is in this too so make the list 11!

18. All Down The Line

A great mix reveals true grit in the guitars, plus a band and guests committed to playing for the cause with a collectively renewed attitude and energy.
    A critical time for it to with a man down and critics writing them off.
    Two vital funk tracks & one has a rhythmically rock edge.
    Two coarse rock tracks & one has funk overtones between the vocal stanzas.
    Two classy ballads perfectly paced and arranged.
    A jazz lounge piece that the band show they audibly, absolutely delight in playing the form.
    A loose reggae jam and the jamming template runs as the backbone through much of the album and provides an informed and hands on work whereby the band explore genre through repeated interplay like they often chose to in their greatest moments since 1964.
    If anyone still does not know the album iam talking about it's title will tell you the whole idea of the bands and it's inspiration!

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Sticky Fingers 11/10
    Exile On Main Street - 11/10
    Goat's Head Soup - 10/10
    It's Only Rock N Roll - 10/10
    Black And Blue - 10/10
    Some Girls - 10/10

THERE I SAID IT.

20. edkeef

edkeef Forum Resident

21. edkeef

edkeef Forum Resident

Well said my Stones sister! I remember seeing quite a few pages in Creem magazine (not positive?!?) of their report of El Mocambo. These were the pre-internet days and we (at least I) didn't always know the full impact and story behind the scenes until usually much later after the fact. But just reading that report, and even though Keith's future was very much uncertain, it was a great time to be a fan of this band. I just had a feeling reading about El Mocambo that something was happening to my favorite band and they were re-energized and something was coming! Seeing the pictures of that show with Mick pounding his fist on your table while I am sure you probably thought you were in a dream, now that my friends, was a "club show!" You can just feel the electricity from the opening notes of "Mannish Boy" on "Love You Live." That is still the one show I hope gets released officially. I mean, hurry up! Most of the fans who really want to hear some of those legendary live shows will be dead soon.
    Of course, Keith will outlive us all! ha.
    Most of my friends were Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foghat and Ted Nugent fans etc.,
    and while I liked a lot of those bands as well, it was especially hard for me to sell them on "Hot Stuff" and "Fool to Cry" and put them in the same league as a guitar driven rock n' roll band!
    And then "Some Girls" came out and they were once again a force to be reckoned with! I remember hearing the album a full week or two before it was released on the radio and after "Shattered" had ended (and at the time, that track especially sounded like something completely different!), I just said to myself, "this is gonna be BIG!" and it did turn out to be THE album of the summer and fall and winter of 1978. My first time being old enough to see them in Anaheim and Oakland. And especially Oakland where they kept us waiting 2 hours after Santana had ended their set. The crowd was visibly getting pissed and irritable. And then all of a sudden we hear a helicopter or two and they are above the stadium, and we are thinking....WT....F?
    Things started falling from the choppers and what appeared to be 5-10 people/bodies (?) falling also.... but no chutes are opening... we really did not have any idea and there were audible gasps that we thought these were people who were falling and going to die!
    But no! We were pelted with hundreds, thousands maybe of colored ping pong balls like heavy rain!!! And the "bodies" were colored blowup dolls with the Some Girls and tongue logos! HA!!! THE BEST ENTRANCE EVER by my favorite band! And before we could recover, Ladies and Gentlemen, the f***in' amazin' Rolling Stones! And "Let it Rock" it did! My favorite concert memory! What an entrance!

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Exile has some filler while IORR is perfection from start to amazing finish.

23. I think The Rolling Stones did a lot of their best work in the 70s.

steelinYaThighs and Curveboy like this.
  24. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I like Black & Blue but dislike Some Girls for some reason.

25. All Down The Line

Wow I had never heard of those cool props being reported on!!!

steelinYaThighs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.