The Rolling Stones- Goat's Head Soup song-by-song discussion!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know if the production/sound quality can be blamed totally on Jimmy Miller (you also mention the 8-track aspect but that in and of itself won't necessarily make for a bad sounding album). Elton John had told the story of how he began recording one of his albums at the same studio (I believe it was Honky Chateau, not 100% sure offhand) and said getting good sound was so problematic they had to leave and start all over again at another studio (Honky Chateau..?). At any rate, upon learning that The Stones had recorded an album there, he said he was shocked they were able to get any decent sound out of it at all.

2. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

The album was recorded in Dynamic Studios, Kingston, Jamaica according to wiki.

"Dancing With Mr D"- I like the chorus backing vocals on this. Sounds like Billy. I agree with the previous comments that it needs a Mick T guitar solo, or a bridge section to mix up things a bit. It was actually the 2nd single from the album, Heartbreaker's B-Side.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Good post. Except 'D' is the Devil, not Death.
    Beave

4. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

The September 9th Empire Pool show was originally part of the broadcasts in 1974 which also included nine songs from the early Brussels. The version of "Heartbreaker" from that show was amazing. Part of the reason was that version was begun by Keith immediately after the final chord of "Dancing With Mr. D", the previous song and Keith set a pretty strong pace and the band, nine days into the tour, just nailed that version of "Heartbreaker" and it floored me so an official release would be welcome by me. I'd like to hear the whole show in soundboard - Mick memorably complained about overbearing security handling the audience during "Tumbling Dice" during that show.

5. I love the shot at about 2:05 of Charlie Watts sort of rolling his eyes and shaking his head in apparent disgust. At what I'm not sure, but Jagger's eyeliner and painted fingernails could be one thing.

The Beave and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. The Beave

I LOVE this outtake!!!
    Beave

JivingSisterFanny and bonus like this.
  7. The Beave

No more murky dull sound on the Mickboy release from 2002.
    You can hear it on the guitars101 site:

Guitars101 - Guitar Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Sounds clear and powerful.

Beave

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

An old article from the IORR forum states that this was the original track listing for Goats Head Soup.

Side 1:

Dancing With Mr. D.
    100 Years Ago
    Through The Lonely Nights
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    Angie

Side 2:

Silver Train
    Hide Your Love
    Crisscross
    Can You Hear The Music
    Star Star

Coming Down Again and Winter are not included in this track listing.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Good thing they were because both are much better than Through the Lonely Nights (which we covered in my IORR thread)

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would have possibly swapped Crisscross for Can You Hear The Music.

painted8 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Can't argue with that

12. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I remember buying this album circa 1997/1998 and being underwhelmed by it. I popped it into a friends car CD player and listened to a few seconds of each song. When we got to "Can You Hear the Music" he said "what the f--- is this, Celine Dion?" (The intro does vaguely resemble "M Heart Will Go on") I never was able to convert him into being a fan.:laugh:

Eventually the album did grow on me quite a bit. For me (and probably most fans) Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'N Roll are worthwhile for Mick Taylor alone. The songs may not always be the best but his playing was definitely unique and they lost something special when he quit.

I quite enjoy "Dancing with Mr D." It's not fantastic but as others have pointed out the slow/druggy sound of the song does let the listener know what kind of album they can expect.

13. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Crisscross would've been a worthy contender had the song actually been finished. The versions I've heard sound as though Mick hadn't quite finished the lyrical scheme of the number. It's interesting that Coming Down Again and Winter weren't initially first choice picks according to this track list and while I'm not a big fan of Coming Down Again, I'm glad Winter got approval for inclusion to the finished album. I actually like it over Angie. Through the Lonely Nights, of course, wound up as the b-side to It's Only Rock and Roll(But I Like It), so it did receive an official release, but it most certainly could've been featured on Goats and I think it would've added more focus to the album, in spite of its ballad-like status.

Dave Hoos, RogerB and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I always miss these when they're actually happening due to being busy, but I just want to say GHS is a severely underrated album by some people. I think it's the final album of an incredible 5 album run. A run never bettered by any other band, IMO.

GHS's negative point is it followed a masterpiece (Exile), and the opening song was not one of the Stones' best opening tracks.

It's most positive aspect to me is "Winter", which is one of the Stone's most beautiful and sublime ballads. "Coming Down Again" is almost as good. "Angie", though overplayed, is also beautiful. Where Exile was about the rock, Goats Head is about the ballads.

The Stones would never be this good again, IMO, not even on Some Girls.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

You have been lucky enough! Over the years with friends, cousins, & uncles around your age, & w “shidobees” & other Stones fans I’ve met & talked to abroad.....I’m always fascinated and jealous of the stories of record release day when Aftermath, Let It Bleed, etc...came out.

You’re a good man. And....it’s been a helluva World Series, huh?

16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Love the post. Respectfully disagree with the last sentence. Ha, but that’s no secret round here.

Kind of goes with my exchange with @ssmith3046 .....may be my age that affects my objectivity a bit.

As a 12 yr old, I stumbled upon my uncles record collection (Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath, Flowers, etc) while babysitting my cousin. I was already familiar with “Satisfaction” “Ruby Tuesday” & many others from the radio.

“Satisfaction” hooked me. But, “Some Girls” made the Stones my band. It would be my first release day purchase ever. Not an album I’ve played more....ever.

**Apologies to the OP for the sidebar....back to GHS :)

17. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

It has my favorite Stones ballad and my favorite Stones Berryesque rocker and my favorite fat-horned Stones soul belter (it's clear which tracks I am referring to, right?). I think these three all surpass the corresponding genre exercises on the previous 4 albums. The rest of it is a letdown, especially the way Taylor is kept on a short leash. They just don't sound very into it, were they suffering a crisis of confidence? It wouldn't be surprising given the contemporary travails in their personal and business lives, and the lukewarm critical reception for "Exile".

18. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Some Girls was really good, and it lived in my cassette deck in high school for awhile.

I just put it a few small steps down from the Beggar's to GHS run, mostly because it has a different vibe to me. More punky, extroverted, and thin toned than bluesy, thick toned, and mysterious.

But it was absolutely what the Stones needed to do in 1978, and easily the best album with Ronnie Wood.

I also like Black and Blue a lot, and wished they had gone back to that style after Tattoo You.

It's Only Rock and Roll was the '70s Stones album that just seemed a little tired and going through the motions to me.

Aftermath, Flowers, and Out of Our Heads was a hell of a find for a 12 year old. :cool:

I was 12, too, when I got into the Stones, but my gateway was Goat's Head Soup, which I bought with my Christmas money in 1973. So, that album's always kind of special to me.

19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe there are 3 different outtake versions of Crisscross of varying lengths. Some have more overdubs than others. Supposedly the song was used on an obscure soundtrack to a 70's Japanese movie.

[​IMG]

The above has a photo of the acetate.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

GHS suffers from very poor sequencing. This running order would have made it a stronger album:

Side one
    Dancing with Mr. D
    Silver Train
    Angie
    Hide Your Love
    Can You Hear the Music

Side two
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    Coming Down Again
    100 Years Ago
    Star Star
    Winter

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually prefer It's Only Rock 'N' Roll to Goats Head Soup and Black And Blue.

SonicBob and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wouldn't end side 1 with Can You Hear The Music. It is arguably the weakest song. Most of the time starting and ending a side with the best songs is a good policy because it is the first and last song you will hear per side. Usually you want to bury the weaker songs in the middle.

Based upon your track listing here, I would swap Angie and Can You Hear The Music. I also think your revised track listing now made side 2 the stronger side.

Shaddam IV and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Photos of the Stones at Dynamic Studios recording Goats Head Soup.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The Stones at Dynamic Studios.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Here is the mock up for the original Goats Head Soup cover idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.