The Rolling Stones "Live At The BBC"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Landis, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

There was a big archiving and "find all the tapes we can" action some years ago. With lots of stuff - tapes and such - being unearthed in possession of aging and in some cases with the families of in the meantime deceased BBC former staff. Apparently a lot of stuff turned up and is now in storage....

Aftermath likes this.
  2. James_S888

Given the mastering engineer that the Stones organization seems to like - Stephen "Masher" Marcussen - seems to think that a DR of 5 or 6 is appropriate for the Stones (and just about anybody else) I think we should be VERY lucky and VERY thankful that he didn't get his hands on this stuff.
    Quite frankly, all the stuff he has done on CD is basically unlistenable on a broad band system.

stef1205 and danielbravo like this.
  3. botley

botley Forum Resident

Thanks for your opinion, but that's not what he did to the BBC and IBC recordings on the GRRR! Super Deluxe edition.

4. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

I have most of the CDs and Vinyl it definitely sounds as if it's from master material. The quality of the mastering is excellent. Also the vinyl is purple ! which it doesn't say anywhere on the Amazon write up - but I'm a sucker for coloured vinyl. I understand Previously Unreleased is coming out on blue vinyl the CD is amazing quality so I'm definitely in for that ...shame the Coda Beatles releases seem to have dried up the studo tapes were amazing.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I found this on Coda as well.

Rarest licks box set.

The Rolling Stones - Rarest Licks

3 Disc Box Set

CD1
    Rare Licks UK Studio outtakes And Demos 1963 - 64
    1. Not Fade Away 2. Go Home Girl 3. My Only Girl 4. It Should Be You 5. Leave Me Alone 6. Andrew's Blues 7. Some Things Just Stick 8. Try A Little Harder 9. Tell Me 10. Blue Turns To Grey 11. We Were Falling In Love 12. Blues Jam 13. As Time Goes By

CD2
    Live At The BBC Plus The Ed Sullivan* And Mike Douglas** Shows
    1. High Heel Sneakers 2. Little By Little 3. I Just Wanna' Make Love to You 4. I'm Moving On 5. Carol 6. Not Fade Away** 7. It's All Over Now** 8. If You Need Me 9. Confessin' The Blues 10. Carol 11. Mona 12. Around and Around* 13. Time Is On My Side* 14. Mike Douglas Interview '64

CD3
    The Lost Chess Tapes Unreleased Tracks Recorded at Chess Studios 1964
    1. Stewed and Keefed 2. Goodbye Girl 3. High Heel Sneakers 4. Tell Me Baby 5. Meet Me In The Bottom 6. Mercy Mercy 7. Reelin'and Rockin' 8. Key to the Highway

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

And this one on Coda called Necropolis - This appears to have all the Coda releases together as a box set.

Necropolis is the stunning collection of previously unreleased Rolling Stones tapes which capture a magical snapshot of the Rolling Stones at work in the studio, broadcasting to the world and performing live. This is the legendary line up of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards ,Brian Jones, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman. These previously unreleased tracks contain alternative versions of their smash hits such as Not Fade Away, Around And Around, Time Is On My Side and many more. This remarkable album is an intriguing journey into the lost history of the Stones in the making.
    CD 1 - Live Licks

1. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love 2. Down The Road Apiece 3. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Around And Around 4. Off The Hook 5. Time Is On My Side 6. Carol 7. It's All Over Now 8. Little Red Rooster 9. Route 66 10. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love 11. The Last Time 12. I'm Alright 13. Hey Crawdaddy
    CD 2 - Rare Licks
    1. Not Fade Away 2. Go Home Girl 3. My Only Girl AKA That Girl Belongs In Yesterday 4. It Should Be You 5. Leave Me Alone 6. Andrew's Blues 7. Some Things Just Stick On Your Mind 8. Try A Little Harder 9. Tell Me 10. Blue Turns To Grey 11. We Were Falling In Love 12. Blues Jam 13. As Time Goes By
    CD 3 - Live At The BBC...And Beyond
    1. High Heel Sneakers 2. Little By Little 3. I Just Wanna Make Love To You 4. I'm Moving On 5. Carol 6. Not Fade Away 7. It's All Over Now 8. If You Need Me 9. Confessin' The Blues 10. Carol 11. Mona 12. Around and Around 13. Time's On My Side 14. Mike Douglas Interview '64
    CD 4 - The Lost Chess Tapes
    1. Stewed And Keefed 2. Goodbye Girl 3. High Heel Sneakers 4. Tell Me Baby 5. Meet Me In The Bottom 6. Merc 7. Reelin' & Rockin' 8. Key To The Highway

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Classicolin likes this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here as another on Coda called Unreleased Masters. This had all the Coda studio outtakes combined on 1 disc.

The Rolling Stones - Unreleased Masters This is the definitive re-mastered anthology featuring all of the unreleased alternative masters and Demos demos from the Rolling Stones at work in the studio in during the band's r&b heyday. Featured here are pristine quality takes from both London and the legendary Chess sessions in Chicago. This is the original Stones line-up of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman working together as the band took its first steps towards superstardom. Early stripped down versions of the material which appeared on Metamorphosis can be heard alongisde the alternative takes of material for the first albums and singles. The Jagger/Richards writing partnership can be followed as it develops from naive early compositions to the creation of real classics like 'As Time Goes By'. This remarkable album brings together all the surviving takes which are of studio quality the result is a comprehensive and fascinating journey into history in the making and forms essential listening for every Stones fan.
    TRACK LISTING

1. Stewed and Keefed
    2. Goodbye Girl
    3. High Heel Sneakers
    4. Tell Me Baby
    5. Meet Me In The Bottom
    6. Mercy Mercy
    7. Reelin'and Rockin'
    8. Key to the Highway
    9. Not Fade Away
    10. Go Home Girl
    11. My Only Girl AKA That Girl belongs in Yesterday
    12. It Should Be You
    13. Leave Me Alone
    14. Andrew's Blues
    15. Some Things Just Stick On Your Mind
    16. Try A Little Harder
    17. Tell Me
    18. Blue Turns To Grey
    19. We Were Falling In Love
    20. Blues Jam
    21. As Time Goes By

8. James_S888

Does the vinyl sound like 44.1/16 digital or is it better?

9. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

See my post #22
    the beave

incredible fidelity..........

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. James_S888

My curiosity is whether the vinyl was done from high resolution digital? Ie., higher resolution than just standard ****ty 44.1/16 CD resolution.
    There's one vinyl LP among this lot. Would be great if someone went to the trouble of doing a DSD or high res. transfer and pressing that to vinyl.

11. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

Given that the source is a BBC tape from'64 the vinyl sounds as good as you could reasonably expect. I know Amazon says they are CDRs in a jewel case the copy I recieved is a proper replicated disc in a Digipack not a CDR . Maybe the CDRs are early pressings. Slightly off topic, but as regards the Live At Last vinyl I do find coloured vinyl (purple in this case) sounds better as it isn't so electrically charged by the graphite used in traditional black records over here and doesn't pick up so much dust etc . The proof will be in the next one ( imaginatively entitled Previously Unreleased ) when it is finally available on vinyl as I'm toldit'son blue vinyl and I'm intrigued to see how the proper Chess studio recordings stand up on vinyl . As others have said tt's absolutely ace on the Coda CD, but as we know that's only half the battle. Judging from the Coda Beatles releases the coloured vinyl really helps (I have Greatest hits Live on Brown and Live at Last on Red . More news when I finally get a copy

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do you really expect that out of a bootlegger or an operation that is close enough to one?

13. James_S888

Hope springs eternal :)
    But seriously, 96/24 and better transfers are now so easy to do it's only a matter of time before they start coming out on the market.
    Example, Bob Dylans bootleg No. 11, the basement tapes Raw. The vinyl. It's a 44.1/16 transfer.
    The Record Store Day limited edition, "the basement tape", Garth Hudsons original selection, the vinyl of that is a 192/24 transfer and sounds fabulous. I cannot tell it's digital.

Tommyboy likes this.
  14. The Beave

Be aware each cd is only about 30 min each.
    the beave

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That's what I thought if there are other configurations that combine 2 cds on 1.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Beave, when you say mastertape quality, are you referring only to the BBC tracks or the whole lot? Most of the track list on these CDs have been available for years.

17. I agree the RSD Garth Hudson basement tape mono mix sounds fabulous, and I definitely prefer how the tracks sound here as opposed to on the Bootleg Series release. And though the 192/24 transfer probably doesn't hurt, I'm pretty sure the primary reason it sounds better is because of the EQ choices Garth made when mixing the tracks as opposed to those chosen by those mixing the Bootleg Series release - much of which sounds a touch muddy and bass-heavy to my ears.

18. James_S888

May well be. But I would still think the big difference really, is that the bootleg series Raw issue was done at 44.1/16 and the RSD at 192/24. I have no idea why.

19. James_S888

I got a response from Coda records. This is really cool. Fantastic news. Assuming it's true.
    Check out the CODA Vinyl section, regarding the transfer, either all analogue for the Stones BBC vinyl or 192/24 bit transfer. YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    More vinyl to come in 2015 and 2016 !!!!! :) :) :)

Spread the word, if they are confident they can sell 500+ copies of a vinyl record, they WILL do it.

RE ROLLING STONES PROJECT
    We appreciate your interest in these releases.
    THE BACKGROUND
    Over the previous fifteen years Coda and its predecessors have produced many live sound recordings and studio albums by artists as diverse as Jack Bruce , Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Caravan, Nektar , Asia, Focus, The Bonzo dog doo-Dah band and many others’
    As regards your particular interest in the Stones, we also own a large archive of master tapes and tape dubs which were contained in among thousands of recordings purchased from the estate of a leading industry figure. These tapes had been featured in various music films, radio shows and documentaries. Last year we began the long overdue process of assessing and cataloguing the source tapes. Some of the 1960’s TV and radio shows are excellent quality, others are definitely ‘of their time’. Some are sound board recordings of variable quality, most are unusable and some are truly dreadful , though even in this category there are some recordings which are of real historical interest. Most of the tapes appear to be first generation, or as near as made no difference.

OUR MISSION
    Our mission is to re-master the best of the archive tapes in professional sound studios to obtain the highest possible quality and share the results with other enthusiasts.
    These are legitimate releases with payments being made to MCPS in respect of the writers. We own the physical masters and copyright in either the masters or the re-mastered audio. Where necessary all artist consents are obtained prior to release.
    Sadly, the market for CD releases is disappearing fast as the format comes to the end of its life cycle and, as we won’t compromise on sound quality, it is now very difficult to make the mastering costs of the top-line studios which we use actually stack up. We therefore test the appetite for each title by releasing a CDR version, if there is sufficient demand we progress to a manufactured version in a Digipack.
    I'm afraid you'll find alarge amount of duplication across the five titles as different consumers want different combinations and we are still testing the market as new tapescome to light. Your feedback would be much appreciated
    Hopefully you will have enjoyed the manufactured versions The Rolling Stones Live At The BBC And Beyond on CD and vinyl which is an excellent example of what can be achieved from relatively unpromising 50 year old master tapes. The Amazon feedback certainly seems to back that up.

CODA VINYL
    This is the most exciting part for us as we are all music industry veterans and the return of vinyl takes us back tour youth when the world was much simpler and the music was sublime. Where the CD test results are good and we are particularly confident that we can sell 500 copies, we press the button and progress to a limited edition vinyl release.
    Our aim for the vinyl (and the CDs too of course ) is to produce the best possible sound quality relative to the quality of the original source material. Where possible we keep everything analogue where it isn’t we aim for 192/24 quality transfer, although it should be borne in mind that there is only so much that even the best remastering engineer can do for a soundtrack from a 1964 NTSC Television show !!!.
    Manufacturing capacity in Europe is in very short supply and lead times are ridiculously long. So far the vinyl output has concentrated on Live Broadcasts, but hopefully 2015 and early 2016 will see audiophile quality releases of studio material by the Beatles and Stones among others using a 192/24 transfer which should approach the old analogue quality that we are searching for .
    But the transfer is only one part of the jigsaw, for these audiophile releases we will be using half speed metal mastering and pressing on to 180 GSM clear virgin vinyl, we are also looking at 45rpm play back LPs, though this does limit the playing length to 15mins per side . There are dozens of releases ( and box sets)we would like to bring to you, but our budgets are limited and we have always to keep both eyes on the cash flow.

20. James_S888

and, from the catalogue they sent me, this, apparently, is coming on vinyl this year :)

[​IMG]

These previously unreleased tracks feature the classic Rolling Stones line up of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman and Brian Jones at work in the recording studio and broadcasting live to air with no overdubs or pre-recording. Included here are all of the previously unreleased outtakes from the legendary '64 Chess studio recordings and the best of the BBC live sessions. The result is an incredible collection of 21 previously unpublished Rolling Stones tracks from their 1964 R'n'B heyday which includes their smash hits Time Is On My Side, Not Fade Away & Its All Over Now.
    TRACK LISTING

1. Stewed and Keefed (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    2. Goodbye Girl (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    3. High Heel Sneakers (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    4. Tell Me Baby (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    5. Meet Me In The Bottom (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    6. Mercy Mercy (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    7. Reelin'and Rockin' (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    8. Key to the Highway (Chess Studio Outtakes)
    9. Around and Around (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    10. Time Is On My (The Ed Sullivan Show 25th October 1964)
    11. High Heel Sneekers (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    12. Little By Little (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    13. I Just Wanna' Make Love To You (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    14. I'm Moving On (BBC The Joe Loss Show 16th April 1964)
    15. Carol (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    16. Not Fade Away (The Mike Douglas Show 18th June 1964)
    17. It's All Over Now (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    18. If You Need Me (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    19. Confessin' The Blues (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    20. Carol (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)
    21. Mona (BBC The Joe Loss Show 17th July 1964)

Dave Hoos likes this.
  21. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Whilst there is clearly benefit in transferring anything 24 bit, to master any Basement Tape material at 24/192 is hilarious as 44.1 goes way beyond the frequency response of any of that stuff.

22. The Beave

I'm referring to the Joe Loss tracks. Absolutely incredible sounding, not the mix you see, which is tv, but the actual audio recording is just like you are there in the studio with them . the beave

Dave Hoos and Tommyboy like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks for posting this James!

24. "...purchased from the estate of a leading industry figure"....hmmm...I'm guessing in this case Allen Klein. Anyone else care to weigh in?

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Okay, just purchased the Stones BBC title on vinyl from Amazon. We'll see how it sounds.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.