The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus to be reissued with never-before-heard tracks Read more at h

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb97, Feb 5, 2019.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Some details on the film restoration:

Mick Gochanour and Robin Klein are the producers of the film. They relate their involvement in the project

Robin: “The new version has been restored from the inter-negative scanned in 4K, restored in Dolby Cinema and mixed in Atmos sound. It’s kind of like a 3D sound. It’s like you are in the circus tent where the film was shot.”

Mick: “I met Allen Klein and I was asked to do a promotional piece about the Godard film Sympathy for the Devil. I was also asked if I’d like to work on a lost film they were trying to find. Robin and I were sent to London to find it and we found it. We already had about half the film since the late 1980s. We used today’s technology for this version of the film. We recreated the space that existed inside the circus tent. We used a dozen mics placed all around and we did it at Capitol Records. There they can place the sound in 120 different places where they turn sounds into objects. It treats space like the real dimensions of a room. What you are hearing is what you would have heard if you were in that circus tent back in 1968. This is based on the mono 3 or 4 track recording with re-channeling of the sound. We extracted sounds using modern technology to separate them and miked it up in stereo as if it were a concert. Fortunately the original recording was excellent done my Jimmy Miller and Glyn Johns. We did the same thing with the picture. We used Dolby Vision to get greater dynamic range.

The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus Is Back! - Perfect Music Today

The existing mixes (both on the 1996 CD and elsewhere, like the mixes of A Quick One While He's Away) strongly suggest the original recording was made on 4-track, possibly with only 3 of those tracks used (if the 4th was used for film sync). That would indicate it wasn't possible for Brian to be on his own track to be mixed out (or not).

2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

tootull, bobcat and stewedandkeefed like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I believe Lester Bangs said 'Simply put, by the time 1969 ended, Jones had doped and f___ed himself into uselessness.'

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

since all these same principals were using 8 track in the studio why would they go backwards to 4 track when there are so many bands to capture?
    it doesn't make sense to me that with 6 musicians on stage they would double artists on tracks when it wasn't necessary, not to mention more control over the final mix. and was Charlie on 1 track too? can't remember....

5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Brian still had a lot to offer on Beggars Banquet. By Let It Bleed he was relegated to shaking maracas and playing inaudible autoharp, but I think he could have still been useful if the other guys had lent him a hand instead of shutting him out. Keith Richards wasn’t useless on It’s Only Rock and Roll and Black and Blue, but he was a shadow of himself, but the other guys covered for him.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why 4-track? Apparently because it was on a film stage and not in a recording studio, and 8-track was still relatively new in the UK. Presumably it was not yet a simple task to acquire an 8-track machine (or two) to use. Heck, a year later the Plastic Ono Band's performance at the Lyceum was only recorded to 4-track and stereo, and that was a 12-person band.

The existing mixes definitely suggest only 3 tracks were used for the bands. For example, every mix of A Quick One has the drums and bass slightly to one side, the guitar slightly to the other, and vocals centered. The mixes on the 1996 CD mostly have little stereo separation, and what separation exists suggests only 3 tracks. There's definitely no aural evidence that 8-track was used.

Yosi, Shawn, Chris M and 2 others like this.
  7. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I always thought it was more like that's all he could do at that point. I think he shut himself out.

Outside of "No Expectations", what did he add to Beggars Banquet? On Goddard's One Plus One I'm not sure you can hear him at all, like they mixed him out. I play guitar myself and when I watch him playing, his hands often don't seem to be following the music. Like he's kind of casting around for what to play.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Brian plays guitar on Jumpin‘ Jack Flash, sitar and tamboura on Street Fighting Man, and Mellotron and harmonica on other album tracks.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

It was going to be transmitted on BBC television, which at the time meant mono, so maybe the need to go to the expense of lugging 8-track machines to a remote recording which will be transmitted in mono was not felt to be justified.

If it had been transmitted on BBC1 at the time, it would also have been transmitted in b&w, whereas it could have been in color on BBC2!

Shawn and All Down The Line like this.
  10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Exactly. And he was only 27, so talented and still just a young kid, such a tragic waste of life.

11. 9la

9la Forum Resident

This has been exactly my argument all along. On "No Expectations" Brian did well on the lead instrument, the slide guitar, a more difficult musical instrument to play than the ordinary rhythm guitar that he plays on most of the other tracks.

For a review of Keith's performance, see post #102.

See post #68.

It amazes me when people say there is nothing good on this soundtrack. "A Quick One While He's Away", "Ain't That a Lot of Love" and "Something Better" all sound worthwhile to me.

All Down The Line and LSP2003 like this.
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have heard a very good & full outtake of Yer Blues with stellar playing from Clapton.

13. All Down The Line

Likely just turned down or more accurately Keith ensured he used a healthy volume himself.

14. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I don’t know how you could watch the Stones performance and come away thinking Mick and Keith did Brian wrong. The guy looked lost during that performance.

If anything, Mick and Keef should be commended for allowing him to be in the show. They could have pulled a Pink Floyd and decided to not pick him up that night.

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Said it above, but Keith wasn’t on his A-game that night, either.

Chuckee likes this.
  16. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

He relegated himself. The rest of group wanted to tour, and they knew he wouldn't be able to handle it, so they had to let him go.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  17. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I know it'll be a long wait, but I hope some day enough outtakes will be unearthed to flesh out...

[​IMG]

18. All Down The Line

He had Visa issues after 2 drug convictions.

19. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I recommend you read some books before continuing to comment, you are clearly very ignorant and have poor knowledge on this.

groundharp and tables_turning like this.
  20. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

It's been a few years since I've read a history of the Stones, but one takeaway I always had about this era is that nobody who knew him seems to have anything nice to say about Brian Jones. Just about every other member of the "27 Club" seems to have a legion of defenders, but not Jones. Even his death is sometimes depicted as detrimental to the band, as it interfered with their plans to play in Hyde Park. Perhaps this is a question of Mick and Keith "controlling the narrative." (I'm thinking about Chet Flippo's book, which I remember as chronicling all of the ass-kissing he, as a journalist, had to do to earn face time with the band.)

I'm not saying that Jones didn't deserve to be kicked out of the Stones or anything like that, just that it seems that people have been kicking his corpse around for about fifty years now.

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Aftermath and All Down The Line like this.
  23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

How do you know that these books are the holy truth?

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Kitchen, Katchen, waaas the problemo here?
    It’s all the same.

At least it’s coming out on vinyl!,,
    Beave

groundharp likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I go on this forum and read about how the Stones' performance was mediocre, and then I watch it and enjoy the hell out of it. But what do I know? :shrug: