The Ronnie James DIO album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Javimulder, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Jeff, you're a star :righton:

Did I just use your scan of the VHS? I wouldn't be surprised since it was the best I could find... great job! :agree:

2. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

when do we start on Sacred Heart Javimulder?

3. Javimulder

With luck, I should be able to continue the posts sometime within the month of October...
    Thanks for your interest! :thumbsup:

4. moofassa_ca

Looking forward to it my friend!!

5. Javimulder

Hey, everyone...

It's been a while and I haven't been able to carry on like I wanted to... I'm going through a lot of stuff lately and I had no choice but to tell Dio to take a backseat in the meantime...

Just wanted to let everyone know that my silence in this thread is NOT a bad sign regarding its continuity, it's just that life (and the universe and everything) has got in the way... My sincere apologies to those who are disappointed by the wait... Believe me, I am too...

But I've not given up and my work and posts will resume in due time once I achieve some degree of normality around here...

:cheers:

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

:cheers: Hope you're OK and looking forward to the new chapters of this wonderful thread!

7. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

No explanation necessary Javi, hope all is well !

8. Viper

Viper Happily lurking 'round here

looking forward to it! But no need to rush :)

9. jeffreybh

bumping in celebration of Steve's announcement he'll be re-mastering Holy Diver for an Audio Fidelity Gold release on December 27th, 2011!

FOr those interested in learning more about Holy Diver specifically start on page 35 !
    Cheers to Javimulder for his work on this thread!

10. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

What a fantastic thread!
    I'm hoping my deluxe editions arrive today - I didn't really get into Dio 'til Dream Evil so this is the first time I've actually owned the first 3 albums in a physical format.

11. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

yeah they arrived just now - the sleeve notes are pretty woeful compared to what's been posted here - and the packaging, especially the image reproduction on The Last In Line, is poor - I can't really comment on the sound 'cause I've only got a tiny CD player here (at work) but it's good to hear Dio again!

12. Javimulder's material should be compiled and published.

Seriously.

:thumbsup:

13. moofassa_ca

Javimulder, hope everything is ok with you. Looking forward to more Dio if you plan on continuing.

14. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

Bumping this thread...
    Perhaps if Javimulder cannot continue, the rest of us can... next up: "Sacred Heart"

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I would love this thread to go on!:righton:

16. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

The final minutes of "Egypt (The Chains are On)" are rolling along as I'm writing this...

I've just finished reading this excellent thread... for the second time. It's great listening to the album in question while reading Javimulder's stories. I hope everything's ok with him (his profile says "Last activity: Dec 26, 2011"). But even if he doesn't return to continue the Dio saga, this has been such a selfless effort from him, I don't think we have any right to complain.

Anyway, I'm bumping this for the members who might be interested in it, but missed it, since the thread was burried who knows how many pages deep in the music forum, and to remind everyone of what a great thread this is for Dio fans. In fact, I don't think I was a Dio fan before reading this for the first time, although I knew the music - it was this thread which made me look deeper into those Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio albums.

jeffreybh likes this.
  17. jeffreybh

Absolutely agree, the breadth, and depth of information Javamulder has compiled here is unparalleled in any other one source including official and professional sources. I also hope Javamulder is doing well, but do understand life sometimes simply unexpectedly calls us in directions that shift our time, focus and priorities. Regardless I also agree it was a selfless effort and at least we have it through the most important time periods.
    Cheers.

DDTM likes this.
  18. ganma

ganma Senior Member

This thread didn't make it to DREAM EVIL? Just picked it up. Great album!

19. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

It is. The last great album of the classic Dio era for me.

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Let's keep this thread alive! It rocks, great job to all of those posting! Dio was the second concert I ever saw in my life in Portland, Maine in around 1987 othe Dream Evil Tour. i saw him about 3-4 times after that and he never let me down. Absolute legend! Someone else posted ratings so here's mine:

Elf- all albums- great early stuff to see the brilliance of Dio's voice at an early age. You will like this stuff more if you have a wide range of musical tastes and geting into blues. I love it myself and rank it about 8 stars out of 10.

Rainbow On Stage- brillaint album, sounds amazing on vinyl- 9.5 stars
    Rainbow Rising- absolute masterpiece- 9.7 stars
    Rainbow Live In germany- mostly the same songs as On Stage but some nice versions. You can get all the different German shows if you want them, some fantastic stuff- between 8-9 stars
    Rainbow Long Live Rock N Roll- still rock solid but just a notch below the previous mastrworks, this was near the end of the band and you catell somewhat- 8.6 stars

Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell- stunning and legendary- solid 9.7 stars
    Black Sabbath Mob Rules- still a great, great album- 9.0 stars for me
    Black Sabbath- Live Evil- poor spund quality holds it back but still a great performance- 7.5 stars because of the sound
    Black Sabbath Live at Hammersmith- similar set to Live Evil but much better sound- 8.8 stars

Dio-Holy Diver- never to quite be equaled in his solo career but here it is. masterpiece. 9.5 stars
    Dio- Last In Line- rock solid metal offering- 9.2 stars
    Dio- Sacred Heart- underarted in my opion and still easily 8.8 stars
    Dio Dream Evil- still great but cracks showing here- 8.2
    Dio Lock Up The Wolves- here you have filler and songs-overall uneven- 7.3 stars

i'll get to the rest later!!!

jeffreybh likes this.
  21. I recently bought the Holy Diver Live blu-ray and finally had a chance to throw it on today.

Great show, Ronnie is terrific as usual just kinda wish it was being performed by the musicians who actually made the album but that is ok.

Do think it is odd that there are no pictures of the guitar player in the booklet and in fact in the liner notes he is referred to as Goldy meaning of course Craig Goldy who was previously in the band.

I hope this thread does continue as it has been very educational and actually has helped improve my appreciation for Dio!

jeffreybh likes this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Guy's sorry for all the typo's, I was using my Ipad! I couldn't find the edit button to update my original post. I wanted to also add that somehow I forgot Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow album which is possibly my favorite Rainbow offering and easily 9.7 stars! What a great band. If I had to pick one segment of Dio's career it would probably be Rainbow even as great as Dio-Sabbath was. It saddens me that this incredible band never reunited for one last run.

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Underrated solid offering, incredible tour and stage show with lasers, explosions, machines.... jaw dropping! All The Fools Sailed Away is a masterpiece. It starts strong with Night People and Dream Evil. Side two drags a bit but still a good album. I still put the first three above this.

24. LuxInt

LuxInt Forum Resident

Really enjoyed this thread. Sometimes album by album threads lose me, this one has me wishing for more. Felt like the Fred Savage character in "Princess Bride".

Had heard of Elf and Rainbow but never listened to them. Also had never given Dio-era Sabbath it's due. Have had all three on rotation all weekend.

Hope all is well with Javimulder, would love to see this thread continued with same attention to detail and quality of writing. Wish all A-b-A threads were like this but then I'd never get anything done :)

BluesOvertookMe, jeffreybh and YMC4 like this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I think the best song is Rocking Chair Rock N Roll Blues (listen to those vocals!!!) but the entrire album kicks ass. This one would be my favorite Elf album with the other two just a notch behind. Incredible band!

Jim Sheridan and BluesOvertookMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.