The Ronnie Wood album by album discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Jul 10, 2018.

1. I like every Ronnie Wood solo album. To me, he was the best among the members of the Stones to consistently make great solo records. I have some live Ronnie on dvd of which Slide on This and the live album with Bo Diddley. I'm pretty sure I have both. I don't understand the misgivings for Not for Beginners Only. That is a terrific album. In fact, that's the album that got me into listening to him again. I've Got My Own Album to Do is perhaps my favorite of all his albums. That's the one he made when he was hooking up with Tinker Bell. Girls can make guys create great music. This album was no exception. I haven't heard his latest album.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Tinker Bell?

3. All Down The Line

Could someone please advise on the origins of that inner Bag, I have UK & US pressings but had not seen that bag before.

4. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I think B. Symphony was referring to Patti Harrison, Woody had a dalliance with her around that time. I've never heard her referred to as Tinkerbell, but I suppose she has sprinkled quite a bit of pixie dust upon musicians in the form of inspiration.

(In a freakish bit of synchronicity, someone on my television, which happens to be on as I write this, said "Tinkerbell" just before I was about to type the T in Tinkerbell. Spooky!)

5. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

My 1974 UK has that ''bag''. :)

Ron Wood - I've Got My Own Album To Do

All Down The Line likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

Did it make you turn the page?

7. I want to thank you for the use of the Jungian precept. Most people only know that word from the Police album title! :righton:

groundharp and All Down The Line like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I thought "Tinker Bell" referred to Mick Jagger.

9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The copy I have now has the printed one sheet folded insert. K50565 A1/B1(stamped).. BS 2519 - 40909 EXPORT(scratched).. KENDUM(stamped) Fairly sure a copy I had in the seventies had a printed inner bag.

10. All Down The Line

I believe mine has that same dead wax, i assumed to be original but no inner bag?

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I bought my original copy around the time it was first released, so I am assuming early (UK) copies had the printed inner bag. No idea how old my current copy is, I bought it secondhand about six months ago.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

There was no "bag". It was just a two-sided printed insert in the UK. The USA release did not contain it.

13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

My memory fails me then, I was fairly sure my first copy had a printed bag, ah well. I'll take your word for it.

14. All Down The Line

So is the pictured one not for this LP?

15. Arnold Grove

As you can see from this photo, there is the outer (cover) sleeve, the LP, a printed insert (which is two-sided, with credits and track listings), AND a blank-white "inner bag/sleeve" (this inner bag is seen partially under the LP and printed insert):

[​IMG]

All Down The Line and Deek57 like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

The printed insert (two-sided) came with the original UK LP. Maybe some other countries had it as well (but not the USA). The Music On Vinyl LP reissue (at least in Europe) includes the printed insert as well.

But it was NOT a "bag" that held the LP. There was a separate plain-white bag/sleeve for that purpose. SEE the photo in the post above this one.

All Down The Line and groundharp like this.
  17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

That's it, like I said I rebought about six months ago. I replaced the white inner with a new one,(after a wet clean) wish I hadn't thrown the original away, it may have given a clue to when it was pressed as manufactures often date stamp the inner bag (something I did not know until recently).

18. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Does it say in the liner notes for "Now Look" where the original mastering was done?

19. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

You're right. Checked mine and it is not a ''bag''. It's a foldout (so it's actually four sides) thus I guess one could call it a ''half bag''. :)

20. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Your second sentence nails it--and it's really a shame he doesn't receive his due as a guitar player, especially after his work with Faces.

The first album is great--it's fun, the playing is loose and in the groove, and in retrospect, it's easy to see why he was asked to audition at the Stones' B&B sessions in early 75. That flirtation They had with reggae, funk, and R&B-fueled dance music came about as a result of those individual side projects going on in the mid 70s--I've Got My Own Album To Do and Now Look being the notable examples. My personal favorite moment on the first album: that great grinding rhythm Woody weaves with Keef on Barry's & Berns' "Am I Grooving You?" Their playing together as the New Barbarians (for a Jul. 74 show) absolutely smokes--and that show is essentially the first album done live in its entirety, and it's Woody who's clearly in charge of that affair (that was not a bad thing).

The solo Woody album that always does it for me, however, is Now Look. He writes well in collaboration with Bobby Womack--his ability to generate originals with multiple acclaimed artists is another overlooked strength of his--and I just love his streamlined, greasy, gritty guitar sound on that album--caked in layers of Womack-inspired R&B. For me, "I Can Say She's Alright" is worth the price of admission, to simply hear the duet/duel fury of Woody and Keef bangin' it out in studio. Much love for Gimme Some Neck, too--I really love the hazy, bluish, freebase-like vibe to that Roy Thomas Baker-produced effort. More flatout rock 'n roll than its two older siblings.

- siyt

21. I've Got My Own Album To Do: That UK 2 page insert is just so awesome. Back in the day and unless you lived in the UK, you would have a hard time deciphering who played on which tracks. And the artwork. So much to read and look at. I have 3 US copies and one CDN and none have that sheet.

22. Arnold Grove

So Sweden got a 4-sided foldout. Interesting...

23. [​IMG]

Tinker Bell! She brought out --ahem!--the best in him with his album I Feel Like Playing. It's my favorite of all his albums, and I have her to thank for taking care of my rock and roll main man the Woodpecker.

24. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

I feel like playing is outstanding. Good rockin CD

25. Arnold Grove

Can you describe what is on the 4 sides of the foldout insert? Discogs does not show any 4-sided version.