The RUSH appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ClassicRockTragic, Dec 4, 2019.

1. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let's hear your thoughts on the greatest rock band of all time.

2. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Great idea for a thread - let's rap on Rush. I'm hardly an authority but would be happy to follow.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don’t know about the greatest, but they are an amazing band. I don’t know where I’d rank them, but I do love these guys and we suck less for having heard them.

4. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I think they have a good claim to be the most successful (greatest) Power Trio in the history of rock. Others were arguably more popular in a single moment but never so enduring. Endurance is one of the qualities of the greatest band don't you think?

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

:tiphat::targettiphat::tiphat::targettiphat::tiphat:
    [​IMG]

first saw 'em in 1985 after being a fan since about 1980 ....
    then somehow didn't see them again for 25 long years :doh: ???
    until I saw them two nights in 2010 .... then saw them in 2015 about ten days before the above photo ....
    I really regret not being at more of their shows .... but I live in Hawai'i and they only came out here once -- in 1984 while I was away at college. d'oh!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Jon H., dom91932, hifisoup and 10 others like this.
  6. ClassicRockTragic

They only time Neil ever came to the front and took a bow I believe.

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Mom Bought 2112 for me when it came out I was 9 and it changed my life.
    Great Grandma bought Permanent Waves in the wrong format 8 track for
    my birthday But didnt have the heart to tell her so just bought another on record.
    In between purchased the others. Love 74 to 84 to this day.
    First show Moving with Max Webster.
    I get off the train after Grace but continued to go to shows till the end.
    Favorite album COS

8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

That is true from what i've read. Every time whenever a show ended, he would hurry and leave through backstage.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  9. ClassicRockTragic

You have an awesome Mum and Great Grandma.

I have trouble choosing a favourite. Maybe Hemispheres because it has La Villa Stangiato . I love Moving Pictures

Woozoom939 likes this.
  10. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Caress of Steel has their best track period.
    Fly By Night is great
    2112 is something very nice in both the prog and not prog sense
    A Farewell To Kings has Xanadu so it's also good
    Hemispheres is like 2112 but better (except it doesn't have Tears)
    Permanent Waves never gets old
    Moving Pictures doesn't move me that much, oddly
    Signals is great synth pop record
    Grace Under Pressure is a great synth rock record

I sort of fall off in terms of albums after this however I'd be remiss if I didn't say The Pass is one of their best songs period

11. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Love them. Soo wish Geddys book tour would come to DC..

12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

They were ok but I asked for them so not to steal their thunder but its not like they brought home Rush records on there own
    accord. If that was the case it would have been Country and Big band respectfully.

13. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Rush is the one band, other than The Beatles and maybe Led Zeppelin, that I consider to be perfect.

14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

They lasted longer for me then some bands shorter then others.
    Examples.
    Rush 74-84
    Sabbath 70-83
    Yes-69-80
    King Crimson 69-74
    Iron Maiden 80-84
    Judas Priest 74-84
    Zappa 66-79
    Bowie 69-80
    Zeppelin 69-79
    Thin Lizzy 71-83
    Can't think of a band that doesn't go bad for me unless they break up.
    From this list Sabbath/Zappa win for me with 13 years Rush lasted 10

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  15. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

I love Rush. Have seen them live five times in five different cities. Admittedly they kinda lost me after Moving Pictures, only because I'm not a huge keyboard fan and I prefer the prog stuff like Xanadu, La Villa Strangiato, Cygnus X-1 etc.

2112 is the album that got me hooked, but Permanent Waves is is a close to a perfect album as you'll ever find.

JohnCarter17 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  16. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I got to see them six times from the R30 tour to the R40 tour. It's sad that they are done, but Neil just refused to be anything less than the ultimate powerhouse drummer. It's hard to be that in your sixties. Chronicles was my introduction to the band. It took them a long time to become my second-most favorite band (behind The Who), but they got there in the end. I have all their studio albums (even Feedback) and all their concert DVD/Blu-rays.

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Jack
    Relax
    Get busy with the facts

18. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

My love for Rush is legendary. I've written plenty about them here and elsewhere, so I don't have much to add. Except that I am currently reading 'Wandering The Face Of The Earth' and it is superb. I'm only just up to the Fly By Night tour but I am surprised at just how many performances appear to have been recorded, either for radio or television broadcast - including an apparent September 1974 King Biscuit Flower Hour which I seem to have no prior knowledge of.

Maybe we could use this thread to compile a list of the confirmed radio/television recordings and whether or not these still exist in some form somewhere...?

19. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I was hoping this would be a Rush in the 80’s appreciation thread.

20. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

21. Neon Ballroom

Neon Ballroom Active Member

The appreciation for Rush is something I inherited from my father and uncle.
    Been listening since I was born.

22. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Rush is my favorite band of all time. I was just reading an old biography of theirs called Visions that came out in the late 80’s and was intrigued by this passage early in the book-

“Alex, Geddy and John often made amateur recordings in each other's basements and at various shows, and in 1972 they were able to record in a primitive studio at Rochdale College. According to Alex it was, "More like a place to buy drugs than a school. "

Bill Bryant produced in the tiny two-track garage facility called Sound Horn. "It sort of made you feel like it was the real thing," says John, "even though it was a small rinky-dink studio ... it was a good feeling that we were getting to the point where we could actually put something down."

Unfortunately the tapes were later lost. “

Man I wonder what ever happened to those tapes. Probably sitting at the bottom of someone’s closet.

ceddy10165, DavidD, ytserush and 3 others like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have grown to love Rush. When I first heard them, to be honest, I just couldn't get into Geddy's voice. Also the first album I heard was Hold Your Fire, and I didn't like it.
    I ended up hearing 2112, Moving Pictures and several others, and now rank them very highly.
    I have all the 5.1 albums, and I enjoy them, but think the mixes deserved to be better.

tinnox, team2 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  24. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Rush and I go back some ways.

The first period, where I discovered them [2112, Hemispheres, Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Caress, FBN and debut - in that order] was kinda like falling in love in for the first time. Everything feels great and you think it's going to last forever.

The second period [Signals, Grace] felt like the relationship was getting a bit rocky - newer bands were catching my eye, I was young and I wanted more, and I ended the relationship.

The third period [Power Windows, Hold Your Fire] felt like trying to rekindle the relationship but it felt awkward, and again I moved on.

The fourth period [ Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, T4E, Vapor Trails] felt like I was settled in a different relationship, but every so often we'd cross paths. We'd be cordial to each other, but the spark had died slowly, and while it was nice to occasionally meet as friends, it couldn't be anything more.

The fifth period [R30 tour, Snakes and Arrows, Time Machine Tour] felt like old friends catching up, after a long period apart and several relationships later. Absence made the heart grow fonder, and we were taking tentative steps in each others company, older and wiser.

The final period [Clockwork Angels, R40 tour] felt like admitting to ourselves that we were always meant to be together, and coming to terms with less days ahead of us than behind us.

When the band retired, it felt like an old couple enjoying their twilight, grateful for what we shared over the previous 40 years and happy to grow old together in our rocking chairs.

25. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I'm now up to the Caress of Steel tour section. At the start it states that setlist information is virtually non-existent but crew recollections appear to confirm that, despite rumours to the contrary, Fountain of Lamneth was not attempted. Disappointing but, I guess, not surprising...

But then, for the entry for the headline date at the Silver Dollar Saloon, Lansing, Michigan, 4th November 1975, a printed gig review from 'UTE (or 'Ute'?) News states, "...screaming lyrics like: 'Panacea-passion pure / I can't resist your gentle lure'..."

I know it's hugely unlikely they played 'Lamneth' live (or even bits of it) but I want to believe that they did and this sort of thing only fuels that desire...