The RUSH appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ClassicRockTragic, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Maybe this should be one of them there "Album By Album" threads.

OptimisticGoat and tinnox like this.
  2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I appreciate Rush. Very much so as a matter of fact. I have a lot harder time dealing with their fanboys. We've all had at least one in our social circles.

NettleBed likes this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I've met all members of the band individually at least once over the years (decades ago now!) and I got to see 'em live in Toronto in 2002. A recent purchase and play....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. zen

zen Senior Member

One of my favorite bands. I especially appreciate the 1980-1993 era. Top tier songwriting/arranging/musicianship. Great batting average. Little baseball reference, for Geddy.

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

wow, that is super awesome !
    can only imagine how that happens .... but surely living in Canada increases the odds. :laugh:

Geddy should give Matt Cameron a call.

[​IMG]

Relikk, Bananas&blow, laf848 and 4 others like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

There’s nothing saying you can’t praise the 80s stuff

zen likes this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Wow, you met Neil! I say that because he’s not known for going out to meet and greets or hanging with fans.

8. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Love the first 10 albums. Liked Power Windows, Roll the Bones and Counterparts. Not a fan of Hold Your Fire and Presto. Haven't heard much else after Counterparts.

That's definitely a rarity. He's very standoffish, I hear. I respect him as arguably the greatest drummer ever and a brilliant lyricist, but could be a bit (or a lot) nicer to fans. I don't really get the whole "he doesn't owe you anything" because what makes a successful band what they are? Fans. Of course, fans should also comport themselves in a manner where they don't make a total spectacle of meeting him either, even if it's just a handshake line and a quick "thank you" with no pics/autographs just to have that fan interaction/connection.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Rush was one of the first bands that I really got into as a kid (the other being Genesis), so they were a huge part of my formative years. As most of us are with bands of such prominence in our lives, I even find stuff to like on the weaker albums.

IMO, Rush from 1977 - 1987 was at its peak. IMO they less frequently captured the old magic after that, but remained a very strong touring band and kept working toward making new music and trying new things, rather than just re-hashing past successes.

With the perspective of having heard so much other music since I became a fan of Rush, I no longer consider them to be the pinnacle of rock music as I once did, but I'll always look back on their music with happy thoughts.

10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I'm kinda like Neil in a way. Unless I really get to know someone and warm up to them, I seem a little distant by some folks.

11. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I appreciate Rush.

12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

There was a thread about a Rush replacement drummer and Cameron would be incredible.
    Great drummer super creative not a follower.

13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

All those years of hard touring and awesome albums finally paid off, look at that perfect white teeth in old age.

The Ultimate reward! :D

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I agree with Neils point of view on fanatical fans. If I were to see him somewhre, I'd just crack a joke or ask him where hes keeping his original 22" Canadian Zildjian Ping ride.

No need for fanatical behavior or worship.

MikeManaic61 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Love 'em.
    There are very few album runs as epic as Hemispheres > Permanent Waves > Moving Pictures.

16. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Nah

Rush would not be the same without Neil, much like Zep had to disband after Bonhams death, and the Police without Copeland would suck, much like Stings solo efforts.

17. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Love 'em. Been listening to them since I was a kid. They're kinda a family band for me, my dad, brother and uncle. Test For Echo got a lot of play growing up.

Saw them live at least 4 or 5 times starting with the Vapor Trails tour and most recently on their farewell tour (though I didn't realize it was farewell at the time :()

Favorite track: Subdivisions
    Fav album: Moving Pictures

They're one of those rare bands where they have incredible talent AND great songs. Usually it's one or the other.

18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I welcome it.

19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Yes, talent and great songs-- and lyrics.

I like how Geddy responded to critics of Neil's "scientific" lyrics and how they are writing songs for people that think like me, not for the masses or critics.

20. My favorite Rush albums:

A Farewell To Kings
    Hemispheres
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures
    Presto
    Roll The Bones

honorable mentions:
    Fly By Night
    Signals

CybrKhatru likes this.
  21. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Not the greatest band (in my opinion), that would be reserved for Led Zeppelin...…..but they are in my top 5. Their incredible trilogy of 2112, A Farewell To Kings, and Hemispheres is par excellence. Right on the heels of those three is Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals......Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are fun but not top tier. The debut, Fly By Night, and Caress Of Steel have some cool early riffs and arrangements, but I consider them somewhere between decent to good, but not great.

I pretty much stop with Hold Your Fire......although I do dig some of Counterparts.

Presto
    Roll The Bones
    Test For Echo
    Vapor Trails
    Snakes And Arrows
    And yes......even Clockwork Angels are difficult for me to get through.

22. Sean

Sean Senior Member

i used to work at the airport in Toronto in a customer service position. He was nice and polite and in the company of his wife and daughter. Maybe that had something to do with it. Ha ha!
    This was 1986.

ARK, poe_man, Billy_Sunday and 3 others like this.
  23. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I used to work at Toronto airport in a customer service position. The rich and famous have to travel with the rest of us, lol. I met Peart once, Lifeson twice and Geddy about 4 or 5 times. As said above Peart was nice and polite, Lifeson was friendly and talkative and Lee was sometimes a little talkative or very quiet. Very reserved but never rude. The time period for these encounteres ran from 1986 to about 2003 and they weren't very long encounters.

24. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

"No, his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government.
    Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent,
    But change is."

Gets me every time.

25. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I saw them on their Caress of Steel tour (opening for Nazareth on their Hair of the Dog tour). They didn't play Fountain of Lamneth but they did play The Necromancer.