The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Got the AMCY of Grace Under Pressure a couple days ago (AMCY-292), and am interested to find out why it seems to have been disliked... or perhaps "not preferred" in prior discussion.
    I compared it to a Canadian Anthem and my 25.8P, and actually prefer the AMCY to both. The 25.8P bothered me for a little while because it's pretty loud relative to the other (Rush) albums of that period in particular, and compared with the Anthem it has a noticeable and unnatural sounding mid-boost. Ged's vocals sound very forward... too forward, because of that. It's kind of ... reverse smiley'd.

The AMCY is louder than the Anthem, but quieter than the 25.8P. It adds more bass and bit of fullness without sounding woofy or bloated... and no radical re-shaping of the mids. Everything else sounds great - space, clarity, etc.
    So I'm kind of surprised that it is not a go-to for many. Anyway - just my 2 cents :)

pmaraujo, CrimsonPiper and DiabloG like this.
  2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

When I compared various GUP CD masterings a while back, I found that the AMCY (which is the same as the SHM) is identical to the Anthem for The Body Electric, just level shifted slightly. Aside from CD rips of 2 songs each, I no longer own the SHM or the Anthem. However, I do have the 25.8P coming in the mail this week. It'll be interesting to compare to the other versions.

pmaraujo and Ben C. like this.
  3. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Thanks DG - appreciate the thoughts.
    In fact, in my second paragraph I originally typed: "... overall very similar to the Anthem" rather than, "... and no radical re-shaping of the mids". While I didn't note track-by-track (I mainly compared "Red Sector A" and "The Enemy Within"), my general thoughts were that someone took the master for the Anthem, then tweaked the low end as needed in a very pleasing and not ham-handed way. It's a bit more exciting to listen to - similar to the difference between the Anthem Moving Pictures and Atomic 03 Moving Pictures.

Ambassador and DiabloG like this.
  4. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

Looks like I should investigate with some inverse-phase tests. :p

Ben C. and DiabloG like this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm glad I only slightly care for that album. Too much trouble. :)

6. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

@Diablo Griffin Totally off topic, but your MGS avatar just makes me smile big time. Everyone has their franchise when it comes to games and MGS just happens to be mine :D

Back to the thread...

DiabloG likes this.
  7. DiabloG

The 25.8P is now my favorite mastering of GUP. It has better, more natural sounding low-end compared to the Anthem and Atomic. It's also a bit brighter than the Anthem, but on-par with the Atomic. Unlike the Atomic, the highs on the 25.8P aren't abrasive and harsh. While there are some clipped peaks, they're hardly noticeable, if at all. To me, this was money well spent! I'm glad to say that for the time being, I have no interest for the hi-res version of the album.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Well, finally decided to 'commit' to a preferences list; what a long, strange, and expensive road :)
    And for handy reference, here is 'that' chart of the masterings: http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/rush/rush_cd_masters.html

Rush - U.S. Mercury Silverface
    Fly By Night - SHM
    Caress of Steel - Anthem
    2112 - MFSL (I know. I compared it to my ANC-1-1004 and I like the MFSL slightly better. So sue me :))
    All the World's... - U.S. Mercury Silverface
    A Farewell to Kings - Anthem
    Hemispheres - Anthem
    Permanent Waves - MFSL
    Moving Pictures - U.S. Atomic 03 Matrix
    Exit...Stage Left - U.S. Mercury Silverface
    Signals - AMCY
    Grace Under Pressure - AMCY
    Power Windows - 25.8P
    Hold Your Fire - U.S. Mercury Silverface
    A Show of Hands - Vertigo
    Presto - Audio Fidelity
    Roll the Bones - orig. Atlantic (sorry)
    Counterparts - orig. Atlantic (yep, loudness aside, the AFZ removed that bite that I found to be a hallmark of the original).
    Test for Echo - orig. Atlantic
    Different Stages - U.S. Atlantic
    Vapor Trails - SHM Remixed
    Rush in Rio - Atlantic
    Feedback - Atlantic
    Snakes & Arrows - SHM
    Snakes & Arrows Live - Atlantic
    Clockwork Angels - Roadrunner (actually think it sounds slightly better than the SHM)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Rats! i've got a crappy Signals (US Atomic) :shake:

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Here is some of mine.

Fly by Night - AMCY
    2112 - Anthem
    Permanent Waves - WG Atomic
    Moving Pictures - MFSL

Apparently all early FBN are the same mastering. Great packaging on the AMCY (just like the LP) so I pick that one. The others are what I have found to be the least bright of all early versions.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

It's not crappy, it's just not awesome ;)

Yea, they're the same and so-so, but I still prefer them to the remasters (I have the U.S. Mercury Silverface, SHM, and '97 Remaster). Once your ears get used to them after 30 seconds or so it's all good. And did you mean SHM rather than AMCY? I love the packaging on the SHM as well. From the AMCYs I have, they don't appear to have anything special with the packaging.

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

No, I meant the AMCY. The back is the same as the LP. Most are not.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Yes - most of them are just blue with the text; so the AMCY has the rest of the painting with the three headshots like the LP and SHM-CD. Cool!

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

:righton:

Ben C. likes this.
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

This week I've picked up a few Rush used CDs and have been very happy with the sound. One of them was a VANK Canadian Anthem series of Permanent Waves and I was very impressed with the sound and overall presentation. Another one that I found that causes some confusion, is a Canadian Farewell To Kings ANMD-1010 Canadian Anthem. I know the 1997 remaster is ANMD-1079 but the disc I found shares the same CD design as the VANK Permanent Waves, but is ANMD-1010 and I can't find anything on Discogs about this CD or the original release date. Sounds incredible too.

Well I'll be seeking more of the VANK series as they offer great sound for a great price.

Very interesting thread guys, it's been very helpful.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Thankfully someone in the first thread noted that CD and it indeed shares the same peaks as the other early Anthems. Great sounding disc! I have the WANK-1010 and it's my go-to.

A Farewell To Kings ANC-1-1010 {ANK-1010, WANK-1010, ANMD-1010}
    1. 100.0 %
    2. 100.0 %
    3. 98.6 %
    4. 97.1 %
    5. 73.1 %
    6. 100.0 %

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Awesome! Thank you for that clarification. There isn't any info online about this version I have, and you are right it sounds incredible, so I knew it had to be pre-remaster.

Today I found a second hand Exit...Stage Left WAGK 1035 and it has the same style design CD. Can't wait to crank this one.

Ben C. likes this.
  18. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Another great score! I have the U.S. silverface version (which is the same mastering as the WAGK and ANC) and the 25.8P. And the U.S. silverface is my go-to as well! You're on a roll :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

I ran into the same confusion with an ANMD a while back, GUP being the album in question. Apparently a catalog number beginning with ANMD is simply another Anthem reissue that came out sometime in the early to mid 90s, before the '97 remasters started flooding the market. I also have a PoW ANMD like this.

20. Ambassador

Yep. Important to always check the number after. :)

21. DiabloG

It's a bit more confusing with Signals. The the catalog # for the un-remastered AMND is 1038, while the '97 remaster's # is 1083. Before I obtained a mint VANK 1038, I spent 2 days with an Amazon.ca seller trying to sort the AMND issue out. It must've blew the poor guy's mind :p

TheJosh and Holy Diver like this.
  22. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Just need to amend my 'preferred' list...

Picked up the 25.8P of Moving Pictures on a whim and damn it sounds great. It's reminds me of what I remember the green arrow sounding like... 'bigger', and like Ged was up a little higher in the mix... but without the flaws of the green arrow (the cutoff intro to Tom Sawyer and the abridged intro to Red Barchetta)!

So the 25.8P of Moving Pictures is now my go-to for that album.
    And I wanted to clarify that the U.S. Mercury Silverface of "Rush" I have is the clear-hub version - I believe the silver hub version is a different mastering.

TheJosh, DiabloG and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

I got in a #01 matrix of Grace Under Pressure German atomic, very nice sounding. I also have Signals and Hemispheres Canadian Anthem CD's coming to me by mail. Can't wait to hear those.

TheJosh likes this.
  24. DiabloG

Interesting. I'm starting to find that the US Atomic (as well as the 02 and 03 Atomic since they're technically the same mastering aside from the 02's louder volume) can be quite thin and grainy sounding at times. The drums just sound so clinical to me now. Funny, because I used to love this mastering until I heard the MFSL (which I've since sold). I'll have to look out for the 25.8P of this one.
    I believe that the clear-hub version is the same as the Anthem, so you have the best mastering on CD if that's the case!

Ben C. and TheJosh like this.
  25. Ambassador

You may want to try the AMCY/SHM as well - last I listened it seemed like an improved 25.8P (like the AMCY Signals vs the 25.8P).

Ben C. and DiabloG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.