The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

2. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

I'd personally ignore it. All the original CD has is compression and excessive boosting (and clipping as well).

3. Ambassador

Kevin5Brown, I think you'll find this interesting. I was comparison of the tracks of Chronicles Disk 2 with other various Rush CDs, and it seems that the masterings of each song are randomly taken from different CD masterings. I'll have to do more analysis to confirm, but I can say with 99.99999% certainty that "The Manhattan Project" on Chronicles is nearly identical to the 25.8P/SHM release. I did a null test and it came up silent...almost. It seems as if on SHM that the Left and Right Channels are... mis-aligned. Here's a picture of the case in question (top is SHM, bottom is Chronicles):

[​IMG]

Could this explain why some people hear a difference with the 25.8P/32.8P and the SHM?

4. Ambassador

Using the Null Test further, I've confirmed the following as well:

- Both Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A are identical to the Mercury Atomic releases (West German tested).
    - Subdivisions does NOT match either the Anthem, 25.8P, or AMCY/SHM releases.
    - Big Money does NOT match the 25.8P.

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Ain't that the truth, assuming that the original WG/USA Mercury-cd's are called like that.
    Very crankable! :agree:

Compared to those the Spirit Of Radio-collection, despite it's great sequencing, is jacked up to high heavens.

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Interesting. Offset by 1 sample? ;)

7. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

My run down of a few of the vinyl's vs CD:

(Not much a review, just my opinion)

Fly By Night: As most are aware the vinyl (I've only heard the US pressing) beats any CD version hands down.

Moving Pictures: Dutch vinyl pressing is even better than the West German (03+). I find the WG too loud, now, by comparison. Yes the WG loud, can you believe it? I wouldn't have, before hearing the vinyl. And keep in mind, I only mean by comparison.

Signals: AMCY (or SHM) is my favorite CD. ALL the tracks (not just Subdivisions or a few others) are superior to all the other CD's, IMO...This includes the MFSL,which I never liked. (Yes I know some of you do, but you're ALL WRONG!! ha just kidding) Anyway, my only complaint on the AMCY is the extended bass is a tad artificial sounding, particularly on Digital Man. For me the original US vinyl (haven't heard any others) just blows it away. The bass is so natural on the vinyl, not at all forced like the CD. Signals HAS to be heard on vinyl. Just skip the Japan vinyl pressing...Not good.

Grace Under Pressure: I never liked any of the CD versions. That includes the Atomic, all the Japan's, the remasters. I guess if I had to choose one it would be the original Anthem. The only nice sounding version I have ever heard is the Japan vinyl. And yes, as Ambassador pointed out, there is vocal distortion in the track Enemy Within. I still prefer this track over the others, however...The vinyl is that much better to my ears.

I will be comparing another album or two by next week.

8. DiabloG

So is the guitar more "upfront" in the SHM? I'd like to know before considering a purchase.

pmaraujo likes this.
  9. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

No, not at all. The only Rush CD I have heard where the instruments are unnaturally up front (mainly the bass) is the US Atomic Grace Under Pressure...On a few tracks.

10. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

hey, anyone know if the SHM of MP is the AMCY mastering ?

thanks

11. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I have all original CD releases for Rush covering 1974-85 plus randomly purloined releases thereafter.

As far as I'm concerned, that initial eleven year period, although encompassing massively differing styles and productions, is one of the only catalogues in the collection that requires not one iota of studio-based reinterpretation.

The later stuff sounds flawless.

12. Ambassador

It is.

pmaraujo likes this.
  13. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

thanks

14. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

for GUP, did you hear any other vinyls apart from the japanese ?

15. Ambassador

The original US First pressing we have heard. Also, I have heard a standard Canadian pressing.

I have to respectfully disagree with Fizbin on the issue of the vocal distortion on The Enemy Within (also Between the Wheel). This isn't like the background hum on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway that you can only hear during the spaces between songs. This is a "crispy" vocal distortion that lasts throughout the entire song. For that reason, I combine vinyl with the Anthem for those two songs.

I agree with Fizbin that the Signals (original US) vinyl sounds immaculate. Vocals are clear, bass is natural.

16. DiabloG

How about Power Windows on vinyl? Is it better than any CD version?

17. Ambassador

Depends on the song. First off though, I should note that the Dutch vinyl first pressing is far better than the US first pressing (the same case with Moving Pictures). As for a comparison with the CD, I haven't compared everything song but I find that Big Money at least is better on vinyl, while Manhattan Project sounds better on CD (SHM/Chronicles version).

18. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

do you also agree that the japanese GUP LP is the best ?

while were on the topic of LPs, anyone know if the Brazilian & German pressings of counterparts are identical ?

19. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

the atlantic albums were just remastered by the guy who did the sectors box and released on HD tracks, they're probably all compressed but I guess there could be improvements on t4e, vp and s&a

if anyone gets a chance to hear them, feel free to post your thoughts

20. Ambassador

Yes I would. Overall it gives a warmth to the album that makes it sound more like Signals.

21. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

Ok thanks.

22. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

I was just listening to the shm of power windows and kept noticing sibilance, especially on marathon almost everytime geddy says something with an s. it's not as bad as the CA vinyl but it's noticeable

anyone else have this ?

23. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

scratch that, LP and mercury cd have the same thing. guess that's how they made it sound.

24. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I think it's safe to say that a clean (best pressing) vinyl played on high end equipment is going to beat EVERY Rush CD out there. In some cases they come close. I've been doing so many vinyl vs CD comparisons, that I can now instantly tell which is which, even when there are no pop/clicks from the vinyl.

I've since compared Hemispheres UK Vinyl to the Anthem CD, and although the vinyl doesn't blow it away, it's better in all departments...Bass, soundstage, etc. I also just compared All The World's a Stage to my favorite CD, the SHM, and it absolutely blows the SHM out of the water. The increased soundstage alone is worth it. And the CD, by comparison, is a little off balance.

I will be comparing Power Windows UK vinyl to the Anthem CD in the next few days. I already skimmed over it and I thought the UK vinyl blew it away, but i didn't hear all the tracks. Before hand, I compared the SHM-CD to the Anthem CD and I much preferred the Anthem (thought the SHM was a little crispy sounding), so I didn't bother directly comparing the vinyl to the SHM CD. I'll also be comparing Caress of Steel US vinyl to the Anthem CD.

The Anthem CD is better to my ears. Much smoother.

pmaraujo likes this.
  25. cpaqf1

cpaqf1 Active Member

Hmm, I'll have to find a copy of it. Can you confirm it's not the same mastering as the West German ? cause I thought germany, us and canada were all the same in this case..

also, regarding HYF, did anyone ever find out where the SHM mastering came from ? it's hard to believe they made one just for it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.