The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Just to be clear - I was talking about Permanent Waves at that point with the MFSL sounding fuller and more open than the other orig. releases.
    2112 - Anthem if you want balanced, MFSL if you want more meat :)

Frost15 likes this.
  2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I own the Atomic and the SHM (clone of one of the Japan discs IIRC) and remember hearing a slight difference in brightness on a track or two.

3. Frost15

Frost15 Well-Known Member

Aww I missed that PW part haha. I need to recheck the MFSL of PW, but yesterday I could compare the MFSL and Anthem of 2112 again and my initial conclusion remains the same, the MFSL has a boomier low end and has definitely more meat yes, but I prefer the balanced separated sound of the Anthem.

Ben C. likes this.
  4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Power Windows, I just accidentally found this:

The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

So it might depend on which songs you're comparing! :) Sheez, I did not remember those differences at all.

I was just thinking, for Power Windows, for each song where there is a unique mastering different from the other two, which one is better? ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. kevin5brown

OK, this is funny, I don't know what thread/post this is from, but these are your comments I have pasted into my big spreadsheet for Power Windows:

I was just thinking, someday I should go back through this thread, and read it again.

6. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Have you (or anyone, for that matter) got any recommendations for re-EQ'ing the Mercury Caress to approximate the Anthem? How much, at what frequencies, to turn the smile upside down? (I know, I blaspheme!)

7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

To cut the bass off correctly, make a U shaped curve between 20 and 500 Hz. The midpoint is roughly 100 Hz, which should be at -2 dB. Keep everything flat until you reach 5 kHz. Start the treble cutoff there and reduce it gradually until you get to 20 kHz, which should be at -4 dB if you did it right. Depending on my mood, the Mercury CD can be a more exciting listen compared to the Anthem's flatter presentation. Both versions are good, but of course, the Anthem sounds a bit more natural. Anyhow, here's the Mercury disc's EQ if you need to use it as a reference:

[​IMG]

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  8. mahanusafa02

As this is pretty much a first time thing for me, trying to EQ anything, what I should be producing is a curve that is basically the inverse of the above screenshot, correct?

9. DiabloG

Yes.

10. mahanusafa02

Ok, I know I've read it a number of times, but over the course of this thread and its predecessor, it's been mentioned that the 25.8P of A Farewell To Kings is identical to the AMCY-319, and that they are merely a re-levelled Anthem xxxx-1010. At other points in the threads, this info is contradicted (with some saying the sound is far superior on the Anthem compared to the AMCY). So is the re-levelling the only difference between those masterings? Thanks for bearing with me...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. mahanusafa02

I've also consulted the page at Rush CD Mastering Comparisons . Whose opinions provide the preferred masterings listed on this page? Was this page created by a SH.TV member?

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

While I can't answer some of your questions definitively, I will say that the 'far superior' thing is quite a bit of hyperbole.
    I have just about every physical CD version of AFTK - here is the title track from the 25.8p and the WANK-1010: http://www.bentox.com/aftk25wank.rar
    See what your ears say :)

Yes yes, I know they're not FLACs but I really don't have the desire to go to the CD crates and re-rip unless I really need to for some reason!

mahanusafa02 and jamesc like this.
  13. mahanusafa02

Thanks, listening now! One can't accurately verify EAC peak levels with lossy files, but at 320kbps there's certainly enough info to make some informed judgments.

Ben C. likes this.
  14. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Here are my peak levels that I recorded when I originally ripped them as FLACs before conversion to 320kbps (yes, I save them in txt files :nyah: ):

AFTK 25.8P:

Track Peak [ CRC32 ] [W/O NULL]
    -- 95.5 [F248E089] [9939B0A1]
    01 95.5 [FF933AC4] [0572586C]
    02 95.5 [88640D5C] [57AA7A88]
    03 94.2 [5C2E5BF2] [FA270619]
    04 92.7 [1FD433A3] [E5DFB717]
    05 69.8 [DAA1B393] [C6D90164]
    06 95.5 [88359BE7] [33BA5D1B]

AFTK WANK-1010:

Track Peak [ CRC32 ] [W/O NULL]
    -- 100.0 [EC71FFF4] [F5550856]
    01 100.0 [9BBC1C62] [5B35BDE9]
    02 100.0 [110B3217] [381A9B30]
    03 98.6 [4B9E288E] [844C7E8A]
    04 97.1 [A6F4F81A] [39A8DA07]
    05 73.1 [7DAAB235] [050CFF1C]
    06 100.0 [D3156F2C] [279C007B]

15. mahanusafa02

I save them too!! (Where's the nerd smiley?)

EDIT: No nerd smiley required, this is a Rush thread...:righton:

16. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

so for moving pictures any WG matrix ending in 03 will sound good ? ( there are 2 versions with a 03 matrix on discogs)

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Silverface CD is better, with no rolled off bass.

DiabloG likes this.
  18. mahanusafa02

For that matter, how about a WG Atomic of Moving Pictures with an 05+ matrix? Is this identical to an 03 matrix disc?

19. mahanusafa02

Bump...

20. DiabloG

I think every Atomic with a matrix of 03 or greater is the correct version. All US Atomics are fair game to. AFAIK, the 01 and 02 Atomics come from the exact same digital source and have identical EQ to the 03 disc. Whats different about the 02 is that Tom Sawyer has the first drum hit cut off and that there is clipping. To be precise, each track is roughly 2 to 3 dB louder on the 02.

21. mahanusafa02

Cool, the reason I asked is because on the Rush CD mastering chart page (Rush CD Mastering Comparisons ), it refers to the "03+ matrix WG."

Does that mean 03/04/05 matrices or is it specifically referring to an 03 with a + following it (as opposed to a # or @, etc.)?

I've got a WG Atomic 05+, which matches the EAC peak levels of the WG Atomic 03 and the US Atomic 03 to 05 lines on that page, and has got the shortened intros, at least as compared to the WG 02 matrix CD (of which I've got EAC-verified FLACs), so I am pretty confident that the WG Atomic 05+ is an equivalent desirable mastering. Of course I'd love to hear any other opinions if they're out there, but thanks so much @Diablo Griffin, was just about to PM you and a few others with the question again...guess I'm too impatient!

albertop and DiabloG like this.
  22. kevin5brown

If you ripped these, and then equalized the volume, they'd sound almost identical. (They are level shifted masterings.) But if you listen by playing each CD, some people believe that they could sound different.

23. kevin5brown

For those of you watching Dave's MFSL threads, I have been revisiting some comparisons lately. For Power Windows, Ambassador had found the following (paraphrased; I color coded the versions just to make it easier for me):

(Japan 25-8P is the same as the AMCY, we knew that.)
    So I picked Grand Designs and Marathon to look at, because they are different in different ways. But see below; they are the same! (Same tonality anyway. Could be the same tape but a different transfer, I don't know.)

[​IMG]

Meh, I didn't like any of the Sectors, and I still don't. Don't like the tonality, and don't like the compression. But I did compare those for the Sector 3 discs, because there are a lot of fans of the Sector for Grace Under Pressure.

One preview comment about the Sectors though, well for GUP and Signals, in general, if you like them, the HDTracks versions will sound similar, but with better (acceptable) dynamics.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    rcsrich, jamesc, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  24. kevin5brown

I'm comparing Moving Pictures now, although I want to post details of GUP and Signals sometime soon too.

Anyway, I like the WG/US Atomic 03 for Moving pictures. I had come to like the MFSL more, more recently. But this go round, I'm kinda liking the AMCY. I dug up this comment by Ambassador:

The AMCY for MP is a good substitute for the WG/US Atomic 03, and is more balanced, and has better fades ...

(The Atomic 03 does have more low end than the AMCY does, boosted or not.)

Anyone else ever consider the AMCY for Moving Pictures?

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

All of these posts in this thread just remind me how grateful I am for the Magee digital remasters. They are definitive to me. No more need to chase down different version to compare.

Hopefully they will all get released on CD at some point.

Plan9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.