The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterMinnows

BitterMinnows Forum Resident

I was thinking that was the case, thanks for the clarification. As I said, not a big deal, the disc is still quite listenable. I'm not sure I'll replace it in some time, as I know the preferred Anthem original is quite expensive, more than I could do for a CD at the moment.

Are the Atomics or silver faces comparable at all to the Anthem?

2. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The Atomic/silver-face comes from the same digital transfer as the Anthem. The only change between them is that the Atomic has more bass and treble. While some people don't like that, I still think the Atomic sounds good. Given that I rarely see the Anthem for less than $40, it's honestly not worth seeking out over the Atomic unless you find one cheap.

3. BitterMinnows

I see! Good to know they come from the same transfer, if I see a CoS Atomic pop up I may grab it to A/B against the 97 Remaster.

DiabloG likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Think the 1997 remasters were brought up in this most excellent thread.
    Local had a Moving Pictures tonight so I picked it up out of curiosity.
    dB's are bumped up a bit, EQ's 'warmth' still intact. Actually pretty nice. If I see any more out and about for dirt cheap I'll probably grab them.
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.87 dB 4:34 01-Tom Sawyer
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.31 dB 6:10 02-Red Barchetta
    DR11 -0.19 dB -13.38 dB 4:26 03-YYZ
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.27 dB 4:20 04-Limelight
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.59 dB 11:01 05-The Camera Eye
    DR11 -0.06 dB -14.20 dB 4:46 06-Witch Hunt
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.57 dB 4:46 07-Vital Signs
    [​IMG]

5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Wow this post sounds like a compliment to the 1997 remasters. Most people around here disown them outright.

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Thoughts on Caress of Steel AMCY-316? Picked it up because the gatefold and back artwork are restored. I know the ANC-1-1003 is recommended here.

pmaraujo and yesstiles like this.
  7. c-eling

Really? Thought there was some 'positives' brought up earlier. Was only 4 bucks and I have a couple other earlier mastering's for this title.
    The Sector 2011 pretty much sucks, I will agree with that :laugh:

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. DiabloG

Yeah, MP was one of the better ones. Caress of Steel and A Show of Hands aren't terrible either, surprisingly! Several parts on those still retain a good amount of DR. If you count the 2004 remasters, Presto and Roll the Bones are nice alternatives to the originals and still have decent dynamics.

c-eling likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I haven't been happy with the 40th anniversary masterings either...2112, Farewell, Hemispheres. Didn't pull the trigger on Permanent Waves and I doubt I will for Moving Pictures.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

I didn't go that far up the remaster ladder Doc, but after reading some reviews I have no plans.
    Still need this on old compact (Caress), I just have the old 82 re-issue. Did I mention this one was on Quiex or one of it's variants? Man I seem to have a lot of these :laugh:

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I think this one shares mastering with the early Atomic WG/US disc. And yes the artwork was very nice to have for an unremastered edition.

pmaraujo, DiabloG and btomarra like this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Rush CD Mastering Comparisons

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have the WG atomic...the production on this album is not greatest, but this cd sounds better than my junk vinyl copy.

You do have a lot of those translucent records...I think they're so cool. :thumbsup:

c-eling likes this.
  14. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

Hi,
    CDs (ANC-) pressed/made by PRAXIS or DISQUE AMERIC use same mastering? Sometimes At eBay i see Rush CDs ANC- pressed by PRAXIS and by DISQUE AMERIC.

15. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

Hi,
    CDs (ANC-) pressed/made by PRAXIS or DISQUE AMERIC use same mastering? Sometimes At eBay i see Rush CDs ANC- pressed by PRAXIS and by DISQUE AMERIC.

16. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

All CDs (titles ANC-) pressed by PRAXIS or DISQUE AMERIC share the same mastering??

17. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Yes I believe the Praxis & Disque Americ ANC series share the exact same mastering, but the Praxis editions the rarer & more expensive of the two. The ANC masterings are still my preferred Rush masterings, I never thought Hemispheres could sound any better than the ANC ( even the AF sacd), but the 40th Anniversary Blu Ray is very very good & it depends on the day for which of the two I prefer.

pmaraujo likes this.
  18. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

Hi,
    I need your help again...
    I have a doubt..
    I read in some place in this tread, that WANK 1014 has better mastering than ANC-1-1014 ?
    is it true?
    Thanks in advance!.

19. DiabloG

I don't think so. Both of these should have the same mastering. At the very least, the peaks are identical between the two.

20. DiabloG

FWIW, I contacted Andy VanDette about the alternate Hold Your Fire mixes on Sector 3. He told me that there was only one existing master for each album when he worked on the catalog, though he didn't want to get more specific than that.

I was looking over Power Windows the other day and noticed that they all vary in regards to frequency information:
    Original masterings: Sharp cutoff at 20kHz; nothing past that.
    '97 remaster: Info cuts off at 21.5 kHz more or less.
    Sector 3 CD: Info all the way up to 22 kHz (doesn't stop shortly before that like the '97).
    Sector 3 hi-res: Musical info generally starts cutting off between 25 and 30 kHz, though in some parts, there's stuff happening as high up as 35 kHz.
    Sean Magee remaster: No musical info past 20kHz. Tape hiss up to 22 kHz.

I wonder why Magee's version would have that 20kHz cutoff. Maybe he used the same tape as the original CD? Even then, the EQ on his remaster is closer to the '97 and Sector.

jamesc likes this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I thought this album had a digital master. It's possible it was mixed simultaneously to both analog tape and digital, like Peter Gabriel 4, XTC's English Settlement and other albums.

DiabloG likes this.
  22. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

The 25•8P-5077 of Grace Under Pressure is the same mastering as the Anthems, but is clipping heavily.

I did a test with "The Body Electric". I edited the waveforms until they were matching in length. They stay perfectly in sync, but picture #1 below is the 25•8P - as it is. Picture #3 is the Anthem (VANK-1045) normalised to 100 %. If the 25•8P was merely the Anthem-mastering normalised to 100 %, those two would match, but as you can see, the Anthem has several peaks that are longer. Picture #2 is the normalised Anthem, clipping by exactly +0.9dB. It then perfectly matches the 25•8P.

I don't know if "The Body Electric" is even the worst offender on this disc, but I think it's important to be aware of this before spending a lot of money on the 25•8P GUP or its identical twin 35•8P-44.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    jamesc, kevin5brown and Plan9 like this.
  23. BitterMinnows

Happy to say I've recently acquired a few Rush CDs since my last posting here, all found while dropping off some other albums I don't listen to much at local record stores.

So far I've gotten:

Hold Your Fire - Mercury 832 464-2 Q-1 (West German Atomic)

Presto - Atlantic 7 82040-2 (US Original)

Counterparts - Atlantic 82528 2 (US BMG Direct D 135147)

So that makes everything from Caress Of Steel to Counterparts so far (Well, minus the period from Hemispheres to Moving Pictures)! I don't know if the mastering is different on my club press of Counterparts than a regular press of the time, but it sounded really good. All of them did, really, glad to have gotten them based on the thread's recommendations.

I only regret that I couldn't get Test For Echo too! Both copies I saw were in pretty sad shape. But the more record stores I've gone to, I've noticed each has at least one copy of Test For Echo... maybe the next one will be in better condition!

DiabloG likes this.
  24. BitterMinnows

More on those recent record store trips- the place where I got those discs also had the Silverfaces of Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. I didn't get either though as they'd been pretty badly marked up with sharpie. I know the Hemispheres one has been said to be a bit harsh sounding, but is the silverface of Waves one I should watch out for if I see it again?

25. DiabloG

All Mercury and Anthem versions of Waves are the same, so the silverface is fine for this one. I do prefer the 40th anniversary edition, but the silverface might be a better option if you're not interested in the live disc.

BitterMinnows, jamesc and pmaraujo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.