Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

1. BitterMinnows

BitterMinnows Well-Known Member

I was thinking that was the case, thanks for the clarification. As I said, not a big deal, the disc is still quite listenable. I'm not sure I'll replace it in some time, as I know the preferred Anthem original is quite expensive, more than I could do for a CD at the moment.

Are the Atomics or silver faces comparable at all to the Anthem?

2. Diablo Griffin

Diablo Griffin City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The Atomic/silver-face comes from the same digital transfer as the Anthem. The only change between them is that the Atomic has more bass and treble. While some people don't like that, I still think the Atomic sounds good. Given that I rarely see the Anthem for less than $40, it's honestly not worth seeking out over the Atomic unless you find one cheap.

3. BitterMinnows

BitterMinnows Well-Known Member

I see! Good to know they come from the same transfer, if I see a CoS Atomic pop up I may grab it to A/B against the 97 Remaster.

Diablo Griffin likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Fruit Juice Everywhere

Think the 1997 remasters were brought up in this most excellent thread.
    Local had a Moving Pictures tonight so I picked it up out of curiosity.
    dB's are bumped up a bit, EQ's 'warmth' still intact. Actually pretty nice. If I see any more out and about for dirt cheap I'll probably grab them.
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.87 dB 4:34 01-Tom Sawyer
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.31 dB 6:10 02-Red Barchetta
    DR11 -0.19 dB -13.38 dB 4:26 03-YYZ
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.27 dB 4:20 04-Limelight
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.59 dB 11:01 05-The Camera Eye
    DR11 -0.06 dB -14.20 dB 4:46 06-Witch Hunt
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.57 dB 4:46 07-Vital Signs
    [​IMG]

5. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Wow this post sounds like a compliment to the 1997 remasters. Most people around here disown them outright.

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Thoughts on Caress of Steel AMCY-316? Picked it up because the gatefold and back artwork are restored. I know the ANC-1-1003 is recommended here.

yesstiles likes this.
  7. c-eling

Really? Thought there was some 'positives' brought up earlier. Was only 4 bucks and I have a couple other earlier mastering's for this title.
    The Sector 2011 pretty much sucks, I will agree with that :laugh:

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. Diablo Griffin

Diablo Griffin City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Yeah, MP was one of the better ones. Caress of Steel and A Show of Hands aren't terrible either, surprisingly! Several parts on those still retain a good amount of DR. If you count the 2004 remasters, Presto and Roll the Bones are nice alternatives to the originals and still have decent dynamics.

c-eling likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I haven't been happy with the 40th anniversary masterings either...2112, Farewell, Hemispheres. Didn't pull the trigger on Permanent Waves and I doubt I will for Moving Pictures.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

I didn't go that far up the remaster ladder Doc, but after reading some reviews I have no plans.
    Still need this on old compact (Caress), I just have the old 82 re-issue. Did I mention this one was on Quiex or one of it's variants? Man I seem to have a lot of these :laugh:

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I think this one shares mastering with the early Atomic WG/US disc. And yes the artwork was very nice to have for an unremastered edition.

Diablo Griffin and btomarra like this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Rush CD Mastering Comparisons

jamesc, btomarra and c-eling like this.
  13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have the WG atomic...the production on this album is not greatest, but this cd sounds better than my junk vinyl copy.

You do have a lot of those translucent records...I think they're so cool. :thumbsup:

c-eling likes this.