The Rush Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Info on The Lacquer Channel

I've done a bit of looking around and found out some info regarding The Lacquer Channel. For one thing, it is still an active mastering facility. For another thing, a fellow named George Graves has been there since the beginning... and I've just e-mailed him about some info regarding their LP mastering back in the '70s.

I did find out a couple of interesting things in his mastering discography - he mastered Rush 2112 along with Cowboy Junkies Whites Off Earth Now and the first Peter Gabriel solo album.

Since the other Rush albums which bear the TLC markings in the deadwax were not listed in his discography, I've asked him if he can shed any light on the other people who worked doing mastering there in the '70s.

BTW - It turns out that TLC was started by producers Jack Richardson and Bob Ezrin.

You can check out their Website at http://www.lacquerchannel.com/

Cheers,
    Chris

2. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure George worked JAMF in the 70s. They did 2112, All The World's A Stage, and A Farewell To Kings.

I emailed him last week. No answer so far.

3. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes, he worked at JAMF. I looked at the deadwax on my Canadian pressing of the first Peter Gabriel LP and it has JAMF machine stamped there.

One thing that I've noticed on different LPs mastered at TLC is that some have TLC, others have TLC-T and my Cowboy Junkies LP had TLC-N in the deadwax.

Well, it looks like he's got at least two wacky people after him for such info now! ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

As I posted yesterday, my Caress of Steel has TCL.A. on side 1 and TCL-T on side 2.

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes, I saw that. Hopefully, George might get back with an answer to some of our mastering questions about TLC and these deadwax variations.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Jusat checked my Archives Caress of Steel is a Masterdisk GK

7. saundr00

Thanks. How's the sound on it?

8. saundr00

Could be a lathe description too. Just a guess.

9. saundr00

I guess that's all of the discussion for Caress Of Steel. Good to know that there are GKs out there of this.

Let's move on to 2112.

I have one copy:

US
    Black Mercury Label
    Side A Masterdisk BK SRM-1-1079-A-PRC-3-1-1-11 W -81-
    Side B Masterdisk SRM-1-1079-B-PRC-C-1-1-1 -P(6?)-

This one sounds pretty good to me even though it is an 80s pressing. Maybe I just need something better to compare to? :sigh:

So chime on in. What do you folks have? Do you like the sound? Anyone have the JAMF?

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Canadian Anthem (blue tones label)

ANR - 11004 - A - 1 KES TLC-T
    ANR - 11004 - B GC (?) TLC-A

From the Lacquer Channel Website we know that this version was mastered by George Graves.

Cheers,
    Chris

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Also Canadian Anthem bue tones label

ANR-1-1004-A 1AZHZ DM
    ANR-1-1004-B 1AZHZ DM
    Manufactured and Distributed by Columbia House Canada on back of jacket

I'm not overly impressed by the sound of this pressing. It's listenable but not at all "magical". There's no one flaw either, it's just there.

12. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

US
    Skyline Mercury Label
    Side 1: SRM-1-1079-A-PRC-R-2 -1-11-P MASTERDISK HW
    Side 2: SRM-1-1079-B-PRC-R-2 -1-1-06 MASTERDISK HW

No strong opinon on the sound. It is a rough copy with lots of surface noise so I have never given it a critical listen. I need to find a better copy. A good friend just found a near mint GK at a used bookstore for $4 USD. I was with him at the time but he beat me to the R's.

13. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

It is the best copy I had of the 3 I owned before the shootout

14. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

On 2112 I know I have at least 3 copies

A US Mercury Skyline Gilbert Kong mastered on both sides

A UK 1st press

A Dutch pressing

I'll shoot em out tonight hopefully

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Shoot out winner was The Gilbert Kong LP by a nose over the Dutch

Side 1: SRM-1-1079-A-PRC-1 - 1 -111 MASTERDISK G.K.
    Side 2: SRM-1-1079-B-PRC-1 - 1 -11 MASTERDISK G.K.

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. saundr00

Rush s/t Moon Records

Hi all,

I just got a copy of the first album on Moon records. I'm surprised to see that it is the Terry Brown remix. I thought consensus was that the Moon release had the original mix.

Deadwax has STERLING stamped onto one side just like my original red label Mercury does.

Does anyone have a copy of the Moon release that does not say "Remixed at Toronto Sound. Remix Engineer - Terry Brown" on it?

I was hoping to post samples of the first mix for everyone tonight. :realmad:

Thanks.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You're sure the record matches the jacket? I had that happen when I dug out my Fly By Night. I hadn't really noticed it when I picked up the record at a used shop. It looks like someone had two or more copies and decided to put the best jacket with the best LP before reselling.

18. saundr00

Label is baby blue with Moon logo in darker blue. Moon Records written in white. Black print for song titles.

Deadwax has MN-100-A and MN-100-B. B side has STERLING stamp in deadwax.

Back of jacket credits Moon and SRO. No mention of Mercury or Polydor.

At bottom:

MADE IN CANADA
    MOON RECORDS IS A SUBSIDIARY OF SRO PRODUCTIONS LTD.
    DISTRIBUTED IN CANADA BY LONDON RECORDS(1967)

I'm wondering if the original mix being on the Moon release is a myth...

19. saundr00

20. cosmosis

cosmosis New Member

hmmm, here's something interesting. I have two copies of Caress Of Steel with the excact same writing in the deadwax. One is a skyline label with small text (70s reissue I think?) and the other one is black label and no barcode (early 80s?). Looks like they reused the old stamplers for the 80s reissue. Both as follows:

SRM-1-1046-A-K MASTERDISK HW A-1 <--> (triangle)
    SRM-1-1046-B-K2 MASTERDISK A^ B-1 <-->

By A^ I mean something like this: [​IMG]

I've seen that mark a few times. Do we know who that is?

Oh, and sorry I'm late to the party again.

21. saundr00

Hey, I was reading that as AM. I have the name written down at home. I'll post tonight.

22. cosmosis

cosmosis New Member

Yea, I think it is AM too. Found another pressing, which I'm sure it's the oldest of them. No red 704 outside under The Fountain, no add inner-sleeve, different fonttype on the label, and the cat # is on the right side, no mention on 33 1/3. I'll try to post a scan later.

SRM-1-1046 A5
    SRM-1-1046 B5

Looks like this was Beth's album. Well, not anymore :cool:

23. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

The cr in a circle is the mark of a CINRAM pressed album I do not think they mastered only manufactured and warehoused. They manufactured many albums up here in the Great White North, and they are still in the business of cd and dvd manufacturing

Here's the deadwax info from my 2112:

SIDE 1; ANR-1-1004-A2(the 2 is circled)

SIDE 2; SRM-1-1079-B-CAN3(all previous is scratched out) ANR-1-1004-B MASTERDISK G.K.

Side 2 does sound marginally better than side 1, but I'm not particularly happy with either so the search continues

Here's the deadwax

24. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

Sorry side 1 also has a machined symbol, it is a circle inside a circle with one stroke through the outer circle, most likely a representation of an album

25. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Yes, that makes sense. I had totally forgotten about CINRAM. Yes, they are still very much alive and kicking... although I'm pretty sure that they don't do vinyl these days. You are correct, they had nothing to do with mastering, just manufacturing.

Cheers,
    Chris