The Rutles "All You Need Is Cash" DVD--Still great after all these years!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I LOVE this movie...got the DVD and the original '78 soundtrack LP. The '96 Archeaology CD was OK but not as much fun as the original.

I was well pleased that it came out on DVD last year, though not so pleased when they didn't do a good job of it the first time round...they put it right for the recent reissue though.

The movie is an under-rated and often over-looked gem IMO...the whole thing is a blast...it's essential for all Beatles fans.

Cheers

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This is a masterpiece. I had some friends over about 10 years ago, big Beatle fans. We watched "THE COMPLETE BEATLES", the MGM LaserDisc, then I pulled out THE RUTLES on LD. What a perfect pair.

They laughed their butts off.

I love the music, many really COULD have been hits in the '60s. All of the songs stand on their own, and the CD gets play in my car from time to time.

The DVD is pretty good, on par, I think, with the later LD pressing.

When it comes to THE RUTLES......"I must be in Love!!"

3. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

I think it was the trousers.

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

:laugh:

5. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

And have you noticed George mentions the Rutles on a number of occasions in the Anthology interviews (the Book, not the DVD)...also on the DVD he sometimes mentions 'drinking tea' when talking about the Beatles taking drugs in an obvious nod to the Rutles.

Cheers

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmmm - EVERYBODY KNOWS the best way to hear those lp's is in MONO - sheesh! Alla the pix have the stereo mixes...

7. I disagree. I absolutely love "Archeology". Some of the parodies on there are as good as the original LP. "Major Happy's Up And Coming Once Upon A Good Time Band" is brilliant. And "Knicker Elastic King" with the piano ending, identical to "Getting Better". I also love the "When I'm Sixty-Four" parody, "Back In 64", AND "We've Arrived", the parody of "Back In The USSR".

Has anyone else noticed that the DVD is the U.K. version of the documentary and not the U.S. version that was on video and laser disc?

Eric Idle tells a nice story on the director's audio track about taking Neil Innes to George Harrison's home once. While they were there George and Ringo sang "Ouch". A very nice compliment to Mr. Innes.

The Ron Wood, Hell's Angel bit is very funny. "It was big Vallery...She'll thump me!" :laugh:

Can't wait to see the sequel.

8. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman New Member

This was the sole reason I'm glad to own a DVD player! My wife never saw this on video ever. She was totally blown away at how this was pulled off for a tv program originally. Lorne Michaels should really be commended for his involvement!!

9. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I remember watching it in High School, but not getting a lot of the jokes. Now that I know a liitle more about the Beatles, it's time for another viewing!

10. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

This looks hilarious! Since finding out a lot from the Anthology, I may have to track this one down. Is that Eric Idle I see? If it is then :thumbsup:

11. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Wow! I remember Rutland Weekend Television on TV as well - in New Zealand, last outpost of the British Empire :D

12. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Let's see, Monty Python + Beatles + Mick Jagger...yes, count me as a fan! It was one of the lowest-rated network specials ever when it first aired, but rest assured my crew and I watched it in the ol' college dorm! Taped it when it aired on Bravo or some channel, years before it came out on video. Another one of those things I've got nearly memorized. Love the DVD, although the extras aren't much.

Anybody got any old records by Leggy's other discovery, Les Garcons de la Plage (the French Beach Boys)???:confused: :D

13. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Kipper....are you sure they redid the DVD?? What was wrong with the 1st release besides the "wonky" 5:1 sound?

14. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

The 5.1 sound is incredibly bad. I wish they would of remixed for 5.1, or left it alone. I hate those crappy fake 5.1 mixes. I don't want to rain on the parade, I luv the Rutles!!!

Dan in Spokane

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I remember seeing this on PBS way back when, I was blown away and never forgot it...Well, when the DVD was announced I preordered it with great expectations! Upon viewing the DVD...all I can say is...I LOVE IT!! Love Eric's new intro...A gem in my collection...

16. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Love The Rutles! I grabbed this DVD when it was released (just in case someone tried to recall it!) and it is wonderful. It looks and sounds OK though not the drastic improvement over the original VHS I had expected. The bonus interview footage with Mick Jagger and Paul Simon is nice, too. It's been a while but as I recall, Paul Simon had a tough time remembering that he was supposed to be speaking of the legendary "Rutles" not The Beatles. I second Miike's review of "Archaeology". A wonderful collection of sendups cut from the same cloth as the original. Here's hoping that Eric's new Rutles project is a good one!

(just ready to sign off on this as I recall Bill "Murray The K" and John Belushi as "Ron DeKline". I remember my first viewing, in college....I think I almost horked a "Blatz" beer into my lungs from laughter.
    Blatz?? What were we thinking?)

17. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Isn't that the one with the track "Easy Listening"? The punchline is "why don't we do it in the middle of the road..." :D

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned the easter eggs on the Rutles dvd!

Go to the second menu and click on the arrow keys on your remote until the blue frame highlights scene 12 "He Turned Down the Rutles" featuring Dan Aykroyd's picture. When it is highlighted, hit your right arrow key one time. The blue frame will disappear and nothing will be highlighted on the menu. Press the down arrow key and the words "Let it Rot" at the top of the menu will highlight. Press your enter key and enjoy!

I will not ruin the surprise......

In addition, to access Eric Idle's promotional production notes, go to the "Special Features" menu and highlight deleted scenes. Hit the left arrow button, then the down arrow button and then the left arrow button once again. A scribble mark will appear over Eric's head - then press the enter button.

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Thanks for the tip Dave! Very funny stuff! It shows that Eric didn't always stick to the script. How did people find out about these bonuses?

20. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I found out through one of the Beatle message boards. This was pretty common knowledge when the dvd was first released, but it is shame that newer buyers of this disc probably have no idea that these eggs are on there. Just doing my best to spread the word :) .

21. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I believe that easter egg is from the original U.S. version of the documentary. My brothers and I have talked about that for years. It was replaced on the original Rhino video and LD and subsequent TV airings in the late 1980s and 1990s, we thought, for PC reasons.

22. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

dvdeastereggs.com

23. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The Region 2 version saw a re-release late last year after being initially released earlier last year. The picture and sound was cleaned up for the re-release, as well as more extras being added. Can't comment on the 5.1 as I don't have a m/c setup.

24. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Thanks for the Easter egg info. I remember seeing this when it first aired--I was a major Beatle nut in 9th grade, so I got most of the jokes. Picked up the DVD last summer in a rush of Bonzo Dog-mania, and it seemed to have a lot of parts I'd forgotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.