The Sam Cooke Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Lou Rawls?

2. Matt W.

Matt W. Forum Resident

Nah - Bobby Womack, and his siblings ("The Valentinos").

dmiller458 likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, the stereo version of Good Times has an overdubbed Sam.

I honestly prefer that to the 45 version.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That's my favorite version. Beautiful record, nice harmonizing with self..

Batears52, saturdayboy and Dflow like this.
  5. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Only Sam could properly harmonize Sam!

6. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to confirm what's on the CD box set and what's on the LP releases of these new Keen album reissues, or any other pressing info about the LPs? Stereo/mono, who cut them or where they were pressed, etc.?

Looks like Ain't That Good News is also getting a welcome reissue, but without more info, I'll keep hunting...

Jarleboy, CBackley and .crystalised. like this.
  7. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

It's great to hear the stereo version of Tribute to the Lady on CD for the very first time. I thought the stereo tapes were lost after the 2003 SACD release of Tribute to the Lady and every release since was presented in mono. A couple of years ago I paid good money to professionally copy the original stereo LP to burn on CD... I'm not very patient.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

If you're on reddit, feel free to join my new community r/SamCookeSoul

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Has anybody picked up the 'Complete Keen' albums CD box set yet?
    Thoughts on it? Quality of packaging and music?
    There isn't much discussion about it....

Jarleboy, saturdayboy and Hep Alien like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My main comment is that the CD box is very fine from all aspects. If you wait, it might just disappear from the market, so buy it as soon as possible.

11. norfenden

norfenden Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any news on whether or not there will be a vinyl boxset coming out? I love the guy, but trying to pick up his stuff is a minefield... I'm very, very wary of poor digitally sourced represses (especially as copyright ends after 50 years and all that legal stuff)... Surely a Keen then a RCA vinyl box is not a lot to ask?

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Quite often, those who wait for a different issue watch the CD issue go out of print and then never get what they hoped for.

Meanwhile, the Sam Cooke issues out there are very enjoyable. Get them while you can, and enjoy Sam now.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

These box sets cover the large majority of Sam's recordings.

Why wait?

Picking these up is NOT a minefield. They are essential.

The first is out of print, but can be found in the aftermarket.

If they ever put them on vinyl, they will probably use the same masters and charge about three to four times the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  14. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

And if you add the Copa album and the ABKCO compilation Keep Movin’ On to these three superb boxes, you have most of Sam’s discography.

Hep Alien and Tribute like this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Get this one too

Learn about its contents before buying. Not all is Sam performing, but all of it is produced by Sam.

Some believe strongly that Sam's insistence on being an independent music producer led directly to his murder. He would not have been within the reins of the mob-like industry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rick Bartlett

You were right! And! Your killing me with the 'Keen' boxset when you said it might be limited and to pick it up ASAP.
    There's not even one on eBay as we speak.
    Should have listened to 'Tribute'.......
    :shrug:

Jarleboy and McLover like this.
  17. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

That’s a magnificent set. The gospel performances on the first disc alone are worth the cost of the entire thing.

.crystalised. likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Can you buy it through Amazon USA or Amazon marketplace? They list it.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Yes! I can, a few dollars more than I expected, that's because the exchange rate is bad for us right now.
    Do I or Don't I?
    I've gone into procrastination mode.....

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

You do. That's the answer. I did. Who know if you'll ever see its like again. It arrived two weeks ago and I actually haven't had a chance to listen to it. But it's waiting for me when I'm ready, which may not be the case in the future.

But, you know, with Cooke, basically, just get it all -- the Soul Stirrers box, the Keen set, the RCA albums sets (what we really need is an RCA singles set), the Copa albums, the SAR box. You won't have any regrets.

Jarleboy, SOONERFAN and Rick Bartlett like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Thanks @chervokas.
    I'm one click away....
    Not helping!
    (Yeah, you are! ;))

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

I like the thought that an RCA singles set for Sam Cooke is still possible. Real Gone Music has been licensing some RCA material in recent years, and even aside from that, they seem like the label most likely to issue that set. Fingers crossed that it happens.

I just got the Keen set in the mail a few days ago. Even though Keen is not my favorite era of Sam Cooke by any means, it’s beautifully packaged, sounds great, and is thorough. I’m glad I got it while it’s still available.

Hep Alien, Jarleboy and SOONERFAN like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

I did it!
    About U$72.00 at the exchange rate to Australia, so not so bad.
    You folks are an evil influence.
    :evil:

Jarleboy and chervokas like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You saved a lot over the cost of the original albums in mint condition. Mint is extremely rare, super rare. My guess is that the lot would easily cost about $2,000, but you would probably never find any in mint condition. I have them in typically used shape, picked up over the decades. Most people bought singles back then.

Jarleboy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  25. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Saw this thread today - "Good Times" is one of my favorite Sam Cooke songs - is probably my #1. If anyone is interested in hearing the mono single version, I found this on You Tube earlier today:

Regarding the rest of his hits, are the mono "hit" version also as different as this song?

Jarleboy and munjeet like this.