The Sam Cooke Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

BTW .... to quote somebody, "a good song don't care who sings it" (ignore the video!)

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I don’t know if we’ll ever get a Sam Cooke vinyl box, but make sure you pick up the 2003 hybrid-SACD discs - most of which can still be found on eBay: Keep Movin’ On, Portrait of a Legend, Ain’t That Good News, At The Copa (multi-channel!) and Tribute To The Lady.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Clark,

I think you once provided a list of the Sam Cooke singles that had unique takes or versions not on regular LPs of the time. Do you still have it in a form that can be posted?

4. norfenden

norfenden Well-Known Member

I'm more than tempted to pick up all of these LPs, and at £15.99 for most of them - surely I cant lose?!

The uDiscover Music Store

I've already got a strong UK pressing VG+ copy of Copa from 1964...

.crystalised. likes this.
  5. Clark V Kauffman

Boy, I don’t. As I recall, the singles with the most obvious differences were “Good Times” and “Feel It” and “Lonely Island.” But there are other variations and alternate takes found on a few obscured albums and in the 4-CD “The Man Who Invented Soul” boxed set. And of course there are three mix variations of the Harlem Square Club album.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If I ever get time, I will go through my singles, but I do not have all of them

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  7. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

I grabbed a copy yesterday too. A little cheaper for Canada, but not by much. I've got re-pressings of three of the Keen albums on some crappy Italian PD label, so it'll be nice to hear the tracks from proper sources, even if they're not on records. Especially looking forward to the booklet and the artwork.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeap.
    I was looking around the website's and noticed a lot of them didn't have them, or they were 'out of stock'.
    Combined with the fact it's an ABKCO release, whom I don't have faith in keeping them in print.
    Also, lot's of material here I've never heard.
    It's difficult to find Same Cooke material and when you do, it's the usual 'best of' compilations.
    I'll look forward to hearing these in their album format too.

Jarleboy and .crystalised. like this.
  9. .crystalised.

What's going on with the programming for the Keep Movin' On set? It omits "A Change Is Gonna Come" and the title track. What's the point of putting this compilation on vinyl if it omits the two most important tracks?

10. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

My copy of the Keen set came from Amazon.uk. Even though the CDs are in cardboard sleeves, the discs themselves are in anti-static inner sleeves that are inside the cardboard (similar to many Japanese CD releases), and everything arrived in pristine shape. No cardboard lint, no scuffs. The box itself is beautiful & this set is a high-quality presentation throughout.

sjaca, Jarleboy, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Typo.

Keep Movin' On | ABKCO Music & Records, Inc.

Hep Alien and .crystalised. like this.
  12. Clark V Kauffman

That must be an error in the listing. I notice the last side has only three tracks listed, which seems unlikely, and the product description says the album “contains his most important and influential songs – not least A Change Is Gonna Come.” My guess is somebody fouled up copying and pasting the full track list.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

See above.

14. .crystalised.

Nice!! The mark of a good anthology set is the attention paid to those little details.

munjeet and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Night Beat too, right?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, Night Beat wasn’t an ABKCO SACD. It was a Sony CD that came out a bit later. I wouldn’t recommend it.

17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Jarleboy and PhantomStranger like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

CBackley likes this.
  19. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

Baby Baby Baby comes to mind as a unique single mix.

Really? I’ve commonly heard it being stellar.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The music sounds great, but Sam kind of sounds like he's singing under a blanket.

21. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

https://imgur.com/a/641gdbE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I won this autographed slip in an online auction several years ago. Sam had a few different autograph styles, including both upper and lower case lettering. Could I get a community opinion on its authenticity?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Do you have hundreds of $$$ for anything close to NM copies of the LP discs? They're so rare, I've seen 3 beat up examples in 50 years of record collecting. Even 45 RPM singles of many are hard to come by in VG or better condition in East Tennessee for any price.

23. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

It's a shame that no one has ever done a collection of his single sides. It would be near impossible to do now because of the dual licensing.

Question - just confirming. (Note: I do not have an SACD player. I spend the money for hybrid discs for the remastering.) I truly enjoy Portrait Of A Legend. Is the Analogue Production Best Of worth getting and doubling up on those songs?

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was a bit luckier than you, and have been collecting for just a tad longer.

Not too many years ago, 45 RPMs by Sam were of little interest to many collectors and you could aquire many for just $1 each in very good shape with patience.

But now, the prices have increased due to on-line sales and the fact that many consider records an investment (I think they are wrong)

25. Clark V Kauffman

The style is certainly consistent with Sam’s signature but it looks like it was written very very slowly and evenly and carefully, which are telltale signs of a fake, of course. There’s none of the typical signs of an authentic autograph — varying pressure, in particular. But I’m no expert on these things. It might be worth seeing if you can get a professional opinion. Hope it’s the real deal!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    longdist01 and false_serenity like this.