The Sam Cooke Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

I do have several of Sam's original LPs, mostly in stereo, and the mixes on those tracks are close to what we would later hear on CDs like "The Man And His Music."

But keep in mind that with regard to Sam's singles they rarely were part of an LP unless they were first issued as singles and became big hits. Sam created albums almost exclusively for the adult market and singles almost exclusively for the teens. There was very little cross-pollination until "The Best Of Sam Cooke" was issued as an LP.

So when we talk about original stereo mixes of Sam's hits we're talking about mixes that, for the most part, were created months or even years after the mono singles first charted. I mention this only because some purists want the "original" stereo mixes of certain hits, and I don't know that such a thing really exists for many of Sam's singles. Those folks should just pick up the 45s and be done with it. (Although, just to complicate matters further, Keen Records did issue some of Sam's singles in stereo on special, gold-label 45s. I have never personally seen one on those, but I do have needle-drops of a few of them. They must have been VERY limited in circulation.)

At any rate, I did compare the stereo mix of "Twistin' The Night Away" on the original RCA stereo LP of the same name with the stereo mixes of that song on "The Man And His Music" and "Portrait Of A Legend" and "Greatest Hits." All sound just a bit different to my ears in terms of placement of instruments and the like, with the original LP mix sounding the most awkward and lifeless. (I guess this goes back to what Steve was saying about RCA's original stereo mixes being so lame.)

Bottom line: Those who want original mixes of all of Sam's hits need the mono 45s. There's really no other option. But if you're looking for the best stereo mixes, I'd argue that you want the "Portrait Of A Legend" SACD. It blows all other Cooke compilations out of the water in terms of both sonics and track selection -- and it's the ONLY plave you'll ever find a decent sounding version of one of Sam's signature songs, "Wonderful World."

Clark

Jarleboy and McLover like this.
  2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

And what we need is those mono masters on (SA)CD mastered by Steve!!!!

Please tell me RCA have those mono masters safely stored in a well organised vault.......

I suppose these stereo mixes from the 3-tracks are closer to the mono mixes than any original stereo mixes since they don't have added layers of compression and reverb.

In that sense they are much better than "Man And His Music" which was an abomination!

Still, the original mono mixes would no doubt have a bit more sparkle than these relatively flat and boring SACD mixes.

Steve, I know I've asked many times already but is there any chance of you getting your hands on those mono tapes?

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I was talking about the '60s LPs, not the TMaHM LP set.

I left The Man and His Music at home today, so I can't compare at the moment, but I didn't think it had the "normal" L-C-R mixing of the other two CDs (of course, the ABKCO is narrowed a bit). Many of the songs on TMaHM have what sounds like a doubling of sorts, which I wouldn't expect from a "vintage" stereo mix. Good News comes to mind (which of course was released on LP).

Yes, although too bad they felt the need to mix it that way (one track centered, one track doubled and split left and right).

At least the rest of the tracks, while narrowed, are "normal" mixes and can be "restored" to wide stereo if one so chooses.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They do sound better (IMO anyway) widened and sometimes with a touch of EQ.

5. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

reopened by request.

CBackley likes this.
  7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Very cool that it's been reopened. Although I've been around for a while, I hadn't come across this thread before.
    I thought I had the RCA 45 of Good Times and when I checked my collection sure enough it was there. I played it, it was in minty shape, and sure enough when I played the track from my Portrait Of A Legend SACD, I could tell it was quite different. I can appreciate the comment by @lukpac about the Stones' version using the guitar riff found on the single.

Jarleboy, WMTC and McLover like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Probably pulled from an alternate take because of master tape condition issues or the CD take being in Stereo. Which is no surprise. And there may be the correct version on a Gold Standard 45, on that job reel.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sam's RCA hits, and the Keen hits that RCA acquired when Sam got his masters back were available for many years, on RCA Victor Gold Standard 45 RPM singles. For many years, the only way to easily get these tracks in single versions (and the greatest hits wrong takes or rechanneled rubbish)

SOONERFAN likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Wrong. 45 RPM first (the hit mix). LP and Stereo afterthoughts done after the fact. Remember thy history. R&B/Soul then was a mainly mono and 45 RPM thing. Which is what most R&B working people could afford. Stereo was for the people who could afford to spend $2 extra for Stereo, who had Stereo equipment which could play the records, without destroying them, R&B/Soul stations were AM. Were mono. Singles in mono made the R&B hits, LP and Stereo later afterthoughts in that era.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Alive is simple. Get original or period reissue 45 RPM singles. Get the real hit mono mixes. LP and Stereo afterthoughts.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Keen Stereo 45 singles were mostly pressed like all other period Stereo 45 RPM singles then. For mainly Stereo 45 RPM jukebox use. Those 45 RPM Stereo singles cost extra, had to be played on Stereo cartridges tracking at 5 grams or less. Most 45 RPM buyers were mono buyers. Likewise most R&B/Soul buyers were mono buyers. Stereo sales were very low, as most of those buyers had mono phonos, and were lower income, and used older phonographs which could not play Stereo records yet. Reality.

13. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

The world needs some properly mastered and cut Sam vinyl!!!!

Pleeeeeaaaaaaassse!!!!

CBackley likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Still holds, dudes (and dudesses).

15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

God yes. Take my money.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Steve, perhaps you can cut some great Sam records on the new vinyl cutting chain at Marsh Mastering...!?!?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Can someone fix the thread title?

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Just for interests sake, Al Schmitt on Sam Cooke ...

Jarleboy, Rick Bartlett and Dflow like this.
  19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

YES would love to see “The Man and His Music” or “Portrait of a Legend” reissued from the original 45 mono mixes. Maybe Analogue Productions can do it?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Jarleboy and SOONERFAN like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think Sam deserves a designated all encompassing thread

Rick Bartlett and Man at C&A like this.
  21. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

+10 on those mono mixes. The mono mix of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" is great!

22. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Sure does. This is from a Gold Standard 45, which used an original cut stamper (don't mind the label photo in the video).

fr in sc, Jarleboy and WMTC like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

another request. This thread would get much wider participation if it had a more general title, like "The Sam Cooke Thread"

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Amen. I have communicated with Ace Records on that issue several times, and no response. :(

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many years ago, I was very excited when I realized that there were songs on Sam's singles that were not on the LPs and alternate versions on singles not on the LPs. I have a pile of his singles. Right now they are not accessible to me due to a house construction project.

Is there a summary list of Sam's singles (all labels) where alternate versions or new songs not on LPs are identified?

PS: Thank you for changing the title....I hope it brings in more participation in the thread.