The Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2010-2011 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

That Barry Gibb sketch left for the end was marvelous.
    Jimmy Fallon nails it "I'm fnnn Barry Gibb!" :D

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Great episode but a little too much re-hashing. The "Guess The Name" gameshow skit was hilarious. Even Gaga did good in it. I can't say the same for her two musical numbers though. Trainwrecks weren't they? Wow, just horrible songs. Yikes.

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I think "Born This Way" is a great song, but GaGa just tried to cram too much on that small SNL stage, and the result was a bit of a trainwreck. I know "too much" is GaGa's standard M.O., but it would've been nice to hear the song with a guitar-bass-drums-keyboard band and just a couple of backup singers.

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Agreed. They looked like they were dancing in a closet.

The best part of the whole deal was when she sang alone at the piano, IMO.

When she got in the stirrups toward the end of the second number, I cracked up...but we didn't need the "placenta" bit, or whatever that was supposed to be.

5. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Apparently she was lip-synching during that song "Judas"

6. Nobody noticed Lady Gaga's, er, slight "wardrobe malfunction"? I was surprised it made it onto the West Coast feed, guess NBC didn't notice either.

I'm not much of a fan but man she can sing.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It sounded like an awful lot of pre-recorded vocals during those Gaga performances, aside from the opening part with her at the piano.

8. Certainly some, but not all; I thought she sounded a bit winded at points near the end of the first song. Maybe those were dubbed in for authenticity?

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, certainly not ALL. I think her mic was live, at least part of the time. I just mean there were a lot of pre-recorded vocals she was singing over, and it sounded at times like there was even a pre-recorded lead vocal track present where she wasn't doing anything. But I don't think it was a complete lip-synch, like say a Britney Spears would do.

10. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

So you haven't watched the show since '91?

11. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I wondered the same thing.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Does anyone know how far ahead their scripts are written before they're aired?

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

That's funny!

Go the Wikipedia's entry on SNL and read the section, "Production Process", on how the show is put together from Monday through Saturday.

14. She sang OK (when she was singing), but the songs were indeed wretched.

15. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

OK, but this was 2 months ago. :shrug:

16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

They repeated the episode last night and I guess he watched it for the first time.

17. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Animatronics

Just saw this last night. Hilarious stuff. The Animatronic ride skit was the best. Second place: The Video short. Third: "What's my name."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.