The Scorpions on vinyl!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more...

moomaloo, Sox68 and johnny q like this.
  2. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

Trust me this not the 'brightest' version.
    I have this reissue, German and Japanese originals, had Italian one.
    Italy pressed LP has very soft top end and rounded guitars while other European versions have more banging cymbals and razorblade lead guitar.
    IMO choice of version is very personal as for some folks like me post-Roth Scorpions (and many other bands) is mostly Rudie's rhythm guitar.
    That's why I always evaluated Lovedrive by the tracks like Coast to Coast which sounds exceptional on Jap copy despite it has greater volume top end which some may find annoying....

DoF likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

DoF likes this.
  4. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Well observed, on this Fame reissue guitars are razorblade indeed, and it annoys me, still Always Somewhere sounds sweet. Will I find that soft top end and rounded guitars on US versions?

5. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Do u have razorblade guitars on your version or more rounded?

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Not sure but maybe I will like US versions more, bright in not right for me

7. Monddialle

Good issue, but you better buy 2 or 3 really different versions.
    Re LAFS I can add that frankly DMM German stands aside all if the rest as it is -true - load of ringing brighness but on the other side - holografic and spacy stage.
    Just compare intro of I'm Leaving You on different versions.

DoF likes this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Good advice, will do it, I think I have US edition of Blackout, unfortunately beat up, but gonna compare it against my latest German edition

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Since I don't have AM on vinyl I can start with this edition Scorpions - Animal Magnetism , them gonna get European edition for comparison, but my guess is that US one won't be as bright.

10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

11. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Monddialle likes this.
  12. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Gonna spin it today, wonder if it's gonna rock my soul :wiggle:

:) [​IMG]

Rapid Fire and sathvyre like this.
  13. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Scorpions - Sting In The Tail , well after 1st listen, it didn't rock my soul, it rather stirred :thumbsdow it a bit, don't like it, they could put much more effort into SQ too.

14. DoF

DoF Less is more...

US is more rounded , no screeching guitars, but details are burried a bit, while European one, got those annoying razorblade, screeching guitars, but more details. In my opinion if melted they would make a great edition together. Is there any edition that gets close to such an idea?

15. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Scorpions mania continues... Got this in the mail today Scorpions - Taken By Force - any info when this was released, no date on discogs?

It's good songwise, and sq-wise, much more balanced compared to above mentioned Blackout editions.

What are your sources for Taken by Force LP?

[​IMG]

16. DoF

DoF Less is more...

17. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Ok I got it today Scorpions - Animal Magnetism , it is not that bright for my ears, and there's quite a strong material on it, musically speaking.

18. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I use Nagaoka MP-110 and I am happy with it

[​IMG]

but installed this concorde om 10 to comapre the brightness

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

dvcarrick likes this.
  21. Monddialle

This is in every case a subjective kind of thing but in my case I managed to eliminate excessive 'brightness' : try to use one of all-time classic vintage carts.
    Very balanced natural sound with dramatically wide open soundstage and distinctive vocals.
    I used to buy numerous modern mid- and top-of-the-line carts ( incl. AT, Nagaoka and Ortofon) until compared them to a Glanz oldtimer with a fab line contact tip on beryllium cantiliver, -- a rich banquet of analogue era technologies!
    When you have time , just have a look - the top legion ones are many times mentioned in Agon famous thread 'who needs MM...".

DoF likes this.
  22. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thanks, wanna try new carts in the future.

23. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have had the original Canadian since release. My Japanese B20D series CD sounds very close. I was never 100 percent satisfied with the mastering on this one. A couple of the songs sound a bit overdriven.

DoF likes this.
  24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Sorry for my terribly tardy reply, that's what happens when you are in too many threads at once. I own a Holland Mercury Crazy World. It sounds quite nice but does need some volume. Speaking of sound quality only I don't think it sounds as good as my U.S. Savage Amusement and certainly well below any of the earlier German pressings I have heard of other albums. Ordered around 6 German pressings today including Love At First Sting, Fly To The Rainbow, Blackout, Best of Rockers and Ballads, Tokyo Tapes! I can't wait to hear them!

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

One of my favorites, as well. I bought that one when it came out. It sounded great real loud. I used to put my speakers in the window and play it for the neighborhood. :righton:

EricCuda and Jam757 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.