"The Simpsons" Renewed for Seasons 31 & 32 at Fox

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'll admit I liked his acting.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

The Simpsons needs to die now, and I say this as a hardcore fan of the classic seasons. It's just sad to see it limp along still.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    HoratioH likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Like I said eariler.....
    Just like McCartney......

5. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

[​IMG]

6. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Were you really into weed when this aired?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

If you're really interested check out the documentary "The Problem With Apu." The filmmaker sees a generational difference with kids who grew up being called Apu hating the character but their parents being much more comfortable with it.

8. I'm somebody that as been watching from the beginning and still is. What else is going on at 8 p.m Sunday night? They are inconsistent but I think the ratio of good to lame has risen a little in the last few years.

The Hud, Willowman and vince like this.
  9. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Exactly! As far as I'm concerned, The Simpsons got cancelled in the early 90's. :laugh:

ssmith3046 and Oatsdad like this.
  10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I love the Simpsons and its still quite funny.

Big Swifty, Oatsdad and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

From memory:

Woman: You're fat!
    Bart: Just more of me to love.

DiabloG likes this.
  12. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

According to America, Football Night in America, America's Funniest Home Videos, American Idol, Wisdom of the Crowd, Instinct, and Little Big Shots were all preferable options at 8 pm Sunday night.

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What actually happened with him? I suddenly noticed that change mentioned in comments on Facebook the last few months...

14. Jerry Horne

A person made a film about how they think the character is offensive. Apu has not been seen since.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This is terrible. They really messing up more and more classic characters in this series.

DiabloG and Jerry Horne like this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Apu was offensive to convenience store managers the way Homer is offensive to overweight underachieving fathers, Bleeding Gums Murphy is offensive to jazz musicians, Ms. Krabappal is offensive to schoolteachers, Mr. Smithers is offensive to personal assistants, Mr. Burns is offensive to energy tycoons, etc. etc.

Thank you. Come again.

budwhite, 905, Spitfire and 3 others like this.
  17. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I believe it’s his ethnicity rather than his choice of employment which caused the problem.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, I get that, but each of the others I mention is a cliche associated with their ethnicity, and even though Homer routinely comes off much worse than Apu, you don't see overweight, bald, underachieving fathers making films about Homer being offensive.

19. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Apu as they built out the character was not offensive. But the initial impetus behind the character, who they had portraying the character, that he was told to make the accent stereotypical, that was thoughtless and insensitive.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's a slippery slope. You could make that argument about many characters on the show and it is well within the purview of an animated comedy to draw on stereotypes.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe, but the entire role was meant as a stereotype. The whole cliche was of the Indian convenience store operator - it would've been odd for Apu to speak with an American accent, as that would've crushed the joke.

The irony is that Apu is one of the most honorable characters on the show: works hard, smart, caring.

But I do get the criticism. Apu is the only major character who's an ethnic stereotype.

Sure, plenty of other characters are based on stereotypes, but none that relate so directly to skin color.

Look at the black characters like Carl or Dr. Hibbert - they're essentially played as "race neutral".

There are more obvious ethnic stereotypes like Bumblebee Man or Akira, but neither can be viewed as major characters - and B Man mocks TV shows, not actual Latinos.

So that makes him a target, and an understandable one. If I was an Indian kid who had to endure others calling me "Apu" just because of my ethnic background, I'd resent the character, too...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

As I note above, those stereotypes don't connect expressly to ethnicity.

You can pick on Willie as a mockery of Scots, but at least he's not "race-based" ala Apu.

FWIW, I'm not saying the protests against Apu are right or wrong. It's a complex issue.

But I do think the character is different than the other major roles because of the ethnicity side of things.

"Fat bald stupid guy" isn't an ethnic slur, nor is "greedy, evil business owner".

One can easily argue Apu isn't even a "slur" given that he's portrayed as a good man, but clearly the super-stereotypical accent rubs people the wrong way.

It's the show's continued success that makes Apu a target. If "Simpsons" went off the air 20 years ago but remained popular in reruns, no one would say a word, but since the show remains active, he gets attention...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It isn't true that Apu is the only character based on a racial stereotype. The show relies on stereotypes and plays off them to get laughs. And as I said, it becomes a slippery slope because you can go down that rabbit hole for nearly every single character. The reason Apu was held to a different standard was simply because someone of that ethnicity wanted to squelch the free speech exercised by the show's creators by making accusations about racism.

You mention a hypothetical Indian kid being taunted for his accent. I was taunted relentlessly for my New York accent after my folks moved to So-Cal. It's part of growing up and any kid can be subject to it, regardless of ethnicity. Frankly, people should feel welcome to bring their accent or work ethic from wherever they come from, but they should not feel welcome to try to suppress free speech, which is what the Simpsons is ultimately about.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  24. A distinction without a difference here.
    A "stereotype" that was also pretty accurate, as far as such things go. We're not talking Jose Jimenez here. Besides, as has been noted, comedy trades on stereotypes and it's not like anyone was off-limits.

Essentially this boils down to positional grievance-mongering, a move by a little-known comedian to increase his status by finding something new to get offended over.

GregM likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

And I mentioned that - I mentioned roles like Akira and Bumblebee Man.

But Apu is the only major role based on an ethnic stereotype...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.