"The Smile" - new Radiohead side project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, May 22, 2021.

1. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dr78

Dr78 Well-Known Member

3. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Definitely interesting! Of course the announcement is followed (per usual) by rampant speculation that Radiohead is over. Hint: they’re not.

Yorke’s last solo album was probably his best so there is always a chance that RH side projects will be better than just good!

JeffMo and Choba b CCCP like this.
  4. Alien Ache

(Earth was just good)

Icethorn likes this.
  5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Considering there are more releases by side-projects than by the band itself, such a speculation is stupid. ;)

SunSon likes this.
  6. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to it,Thom's been on a great run with his solo stuff recently and we all know how good Johnny's musicianship and orchestral scores are.

JeffMo, Choba b CCCP and Alien Ache like this.
  7. Madrid

I like the ironic name ☺️

8. Alien Ache

I think the speculation is stupid mostly because it’s based on speculation and nothing else. They have no reason to call it quits. They are totally self-sufficient, no contracts to fulfill, can do whatever they want. Sure, that might go into hibernation for a decade but I doubt they’ll split up officially like R.E.M., for instance.

9. Madrid

Interesting though that the two main members decided to pursue this project outside the band, without the input of the other three.

SunSon likes this.
  10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The only thing missing from that promo photo is Thom
    Yorke smoking a pipe.

11. Zongadude

This is not the first time they are doing things together outside of Radiohead.
    There was the solo 12'' single of "Feeling pulled apart by horses" in 2009, for example.

12. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Yes, does sounds interesting! :agree: Particularly, that there's a jazz drummer on board - that style can bring a further eclectic sensitivity to the reccording.

Not at all critiquing your opinion, :tiphat: just expressing my own: I enjoyed E.O.B. (Ed O'Brien) - Earth quite a bit! :D It did seem to garner divided viewpoints, but I've found it quite intriguing, encompassing multiple sounds. Inspired by his time spent in Brazel, I think it does a fine job of expressing Tom's personal perspectives/ enounters very well & is an enjoyable creative, winding record. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Icethorn, Madrid and Alien Ache like this.
  13. Either they're very aware of their Pre-Queen history or very unaware. Either way, I dig the name

andrewskyDE and Zongadude like this.
  14. Zongadude

In the meantime, there is A LOT of bands named Smile or The Smile, even one formed in 1992 in California.

15. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I think they are big early Queen fans.

andrewskyDE and Choba b CCCP like this.
  16. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Ed O'Brien, otherwise it would have been T.O.B.

C'mon, LTD, you must be awake by now!

Choba b CCCP and LilacTeardrop like this.
  17. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Hahah! :laugh::winkgrin: I am surely awake, just not a good mult-tasker. :doh: Edit time was still available, so took care of it.
    ~ Thanks for observant, friendly correction. :):tiphat:

Groovy likes this.
  18. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I'd be very happy to be wrong but I can't imagine it being a comfortable scenario where Thom and Jonny turn 'round to the others and say that they're off to work with Nigel and a new drummer.

That said, we don't know how it has come together yet but it feels a bit "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" to me.

sunking101 likes this.
  19. Yep, I remember Thom saying BM was his first big guitar hero

aphexj likes this.
  20. Zongadude

Have you seen the set ?
    My god that was fantastic !!! :)

21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

And the rest of the cast of Michael Clayton.

22. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

My mind is completely blown by that set, holy sh!!!t. Those tunes were out of this world. Can't believe what good musicians they are. I would've been more that happy with this as RH LP10.

Hopefully they record and release all these songs soon.

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

2020 was not a comfortable year for many reasons, so in that sense you are correct. Radiohead as a group is on a long break, but Thom and Jonny almost certainly okayed this (over a Zoom meeting) with the rest of them first before heading out on this side project
    But with the input of Radiohead's longtime producer Nigel Godrich... personally, I don't read anything into it about Radiohead's future plans (though they seem to have nicked at least one song that was played by Radiohead at one point, "Skirting on the Surface")

I like the non-design design of their website, reminds me of all-plaintext HTML websites circa 1994

polchik and Lost In The Flood like this.
  24. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

That was pretty great. Thom on bass and Johnny playing a goldtop Les Paul AND a bass as well!

25. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Power trio!

ARK and polchik like this.