"The Smile" - new Radiohead side project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, May 22, 2021.

1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I've been waiting (in vain, it appears) for the The Smile official store to offer a t-shirt with the album cover design on it. Now we have an alternate cover too but no decent shirt.

Is it me or is their merchandise (excluding music) just the worst? It's worse than the Bowie store, and that takes some doing. Tacky, trashy shirts and sweatshirts and neon posters.

Just look at this....

[​IMG]

Ugh.

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That's terrible!!!

Radiohead has some very cool stuff, always has. The Smile...not so much.

Groovy likes this.
  3. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Aside from the grey, it's pretty groovy. :hide:

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Don't bore us, get to the chorus. . .

This may be the ultimate, quintessential opening salvo from Thom Yorke, delivered with deadpan restraint. It makes me smile every time I hear it. Like a lot of Radiohead's later output, this album is definitely a grower, but it feels like a fresh new reinvention for Yorke and Greenwood. Radiohead may or may not return at some point, but I'm glad that they're taking this detour.

5. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Anyone been to recent US shows and can describe what merch is available at the show?

6. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I went to the Milwaukee and Chicago shows. It's basically the merch they have available on their band site... plus and orange winter hat, with The Smile on it.

EmceeEscher likes this.
  7. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Bummer. But I’m cool with having double dipped on this one for collecting purposes.

Is the pressing good? I played my yellow version again yesterday and it has more surface noise than I’d like, even after an ultrasonic clean.

ultron9 likes this.
  8. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

The Chicago show was great! My main takeaway is that this trio of musicians are at the pinnacle of their powers. Obviously, Thom and Jonny are geniuses but Skinner is also tremendous. He’s such a visceral and technical drummer and he really allows Thom/Jonny to go places they can’t with Radiohead.

I also noticed that Thom seems to be having the time of his life. It’s apparent he enjoys digging into these songs and was in high spirits throughout the show.

Jonny was in spectacular form and got a huge response from his extended “solo” during “Bending Hectic.”

As for the other new songs, I somehow missed seeing/hearing bootlegs of “Read the Room.” I was kinda blown away by how weird that song is. This is one that could never be a RH song and could only come from these three musicians collaborating.

I’m primed to follow this trio wherever they want to go next!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Id love to see them do “Bending Hectic.” That ending is so great

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

...plus Tom Skinner and Robert Stillman solo LPs, CDs, and Cassettes.

Chrome_Head and jfeldt like this.
  11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Saw them in Detroit. The four new songs push even further into a proggy/jazzy direction, than what's on the album.

12. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I only skimmed it the other night, but the Tom Skinner solo album seemed pretty good. I’m going to give it a few more listens.

13. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

ghoulsurgery and Tim Simmons like this.
  14. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

Kinda wish they would have released the whole broadcast on vinyl (I know most of it is on the bonus CD)

15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

New song debuted in Atlanta

16. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

Is most of it on the CD? I thought people were saying it’s the same tracks as the vinyl.

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The CD is just the 2 tracks from the vinyl

18. 400metres

400metres Forum Resident

My copy of the CD that came with the Rough Trade exclusive vinyl doesn't include the poem reading, unless I'm missing something? It's just "A Hairdryer" for the first track and "Open the Floodgates" as the second. Was the poem reading just supposed to be exclusive to the 10"?

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yeah I think it is exclusive to the 10”

20. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

The Cd is just 2 tracks? Lame.

bluedemon25 likes this.
  21. 400metres

400metres Forum Resident

The smoke-colored pressing is significantly quieter than my yellow pressing, so that coupled with the alternate artwork made it worth it. I just wish they would have been a little more transparent in what was on the bonus CD on the Rough Trade site. I'm sure the poem is all of a minute, but it would be a cool extra to have and the listing claimed it was included.

22. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Bad Rough Trade, very sneaky, knowing fans would rush to buy the limited edition release before it sells out without worrying about the track list of the CD....all the while it's only 2 tracks and not even an EP worth of material.

Put the track list next to the product listing, or if it's supposed to be a secret, at least call it a "CD single" or "Exclusive 2-Track Live Sampler" or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing gets under Thom's skin, actually. The guy who came up with the "name your price" album release! Not that he can do anything about it after the fact.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

CassetteDek, Joe Spivey and jfeldt like this.
  24. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Seems to be behind the paywall or anti-ad blocker something like that, for me. Could you please tell us the gist of it?

25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This last paragraph sums it up well:

How many artists 30 years into their career could satisfy their audience with a set of virtually all new music? When the lights came up Monday night, I didn’t leave wishing that I could have heard my old favorites. I was buzzing over the possibilities of the future. That likely would not have been possible without a new name and a reconfigured lineup, nor could I have seen Yorke playing rock music in such close confines. The reboot has removed the Radiohead albatross from band and fans alike. In 2017, when asked if Radiohead would be ending after the tour supporting A Moon Shaped Pool, Yorke told Rolling Stone, “I ****ing hope not.” Me too, Thom. Yet it’s hard to deny the vitality of the music he and Greenwood are making after getting out from under the weight of that legacy. I hate to say it, but we need to consider the possibility that Radiohead will not be returning for a long time. We also need to consider the possibility that this is a good thing.