"The Smile" - new Radiohead side project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, May 22, 2021.

1. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

From what I've observed just my personal opinion being a fan after a friend introduced me in the I don't know very late '90s with a 2000-2001, something like that.... that waiting eagerly at each album release, there's been a lot of talk of oh is this the end of Radiohead. Sometimes the period of quiet can go quite a while, years even. Then something pops up when you least expect it with something new.

I happen to really really like the album proper even if I'm not as crazy about the new songs that are leaking live. I'm glad they're making stuff I hope they continue I'd be more thrilled if we got both but if they continued as the smile and put out albums with music having energy and instrumentation and so on akin to what we got on the first album I'd be pretty happy.

I like it much more than the past few albums Radiohead put out to my personal taste. I'm not ruling out than doing radio head again myself I think it just has to be bored of one thing and feel right to them to do it as seems to have happened in the past. We'll see I guess.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

.@thesmiletheband - Live at Montreux Jazz Festival, July 2022 Out digitally on Dec 14th. Catch a livestream of the full performance over on the band’s YouTube channel tomorrow, 8pm UK / 3pm ET.

Set your reminder here: youtu.be/a8vTlz_4DZA

Just posted by XL on Twitter! There was a new track performed here as well

3. Given I’ve been hoping for a proper extensive concert Radiohead physical release for well over 20 years I don’t have much hope for that.
    It seems they have early an album worth of new songs.Maybe go to the studio and get that made.

EmceeEscher likes this.
  4. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

Couple new tracks, right? "Bodies Laughing" and "Bending Hectic." Plus "Just Eyes And Mouth," so that makes three unreleased tracks. They could end up not releasing the new songs (or even the whole performance) digitally though.

5. Justin Brooks

in fact, i almost guarantee it won't be the whole performances. did they actually use the term Live EP? that would seal the deal, if so.

6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

They do say “EP” in their post. Which is a bummer. I want the whole set

7. Justin Brooks

EP Tracklisting:

The Smile At Montreux Jazz Festival, July 2022

1 - Pana-Vision (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
    2 - Thin Thing (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
    3 - The Opposite (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
    4 - Speech Bubbles (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
    5 - Free In The Knowledge & A Hairdryer (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
    6 - The Smoke (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)
    7 - You Will Never Work In Television Again (Live at Montreux Jazz Festival)

8. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

So no unreleased tracks...

Justin Brooks likes this.
  9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Damn. Also no “We Don’t Know What Tomorrow Brings”, which has been my favorite part of every live set I’ve listened to

10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Their show (first night) in Denver was awesome!

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  11. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Cover art for the live EP:
    [​IMG]

jimhb and jfeldt like this.
  12. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Makes sense. Holding those back until the studio versions are released. Hopefully next year???

13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

"Bending Hectic" is amazing. They played two new songs ("Teleharmonic" and "Read The Room") during the encore of the show I saw and I loved both of those, as well.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

They put live videos of “Bodies Laughing” and “Colours Fly” on their official YouTube channel so it gave me hope they might put a new song or two on the EP :(

dtuck90 and eric777 like this.
  15. woody

woody Forum Resident

YouTube stream of Montreux, ltd time only.

GregorSamsa likes this.
  16. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Get to see them in Portland tomorrow. Honestly a long time Radiohead fan who first saw them on the bends tour and hasn’t been really excited about anything on the new LP. Hype me up on this?

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  17. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Just putting the album on gets me hyped. The first track is a great start IMO:

18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe the new album will be live... ;)

19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The LP is cool but I’ve listened to recordings of their live shows so much more than the studio album. There’s an energy they’ve got live that I think is missing from the record. If I had to guess, they made the record before they really played out much and figured out their live chemistry. The new songs they’ve been playing sound excellent. I think you’ll have a great time

domesticmachine likes this.
  20. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Yeah I’m kinda like ok boys. Sell it to me like your on your 1st Nation-wide tour.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

The drumming and York’s bass playing are a huge standout to me live. Just wow.

Alien Ache and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

It's strange to have a band that once meant so much to me have side projects that do so little for me. It looks like it's fun stuff for them to play musically with interesting rhythms and time signatures and probably stretches them as musicians, but it just doesn't move me emotionally at all. And that was a big part of what made most of Radiohead's stuff so powerful.

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just downloading on Bandcamp (much cheaper than Qobuz). Can’t wait to give this a listen. Watched some of the stream last night and it was fantastic, but at 42 minutes it clearly isn’t the full show as advertised

24. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Hopefully when they record Bending Hectic for an eventual second album, they capture how well they play it live. First show hearing it, I was floating in enjoyment. Second show my anticipation to hear it again was raging. It didn’t disappoint.

25. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Yeah I'm ok with them cutting the unreleased songs from the EP. Makes sense them wanting the first impression of those tracks on an audio release being the studio versions.

I just hope we get album #2 next Fall and there isn't a long wait :)

JeffMo likes this.