The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I like this one a lot. It has a silent resigned sadness on it and a theme close to the already discussed "happy lovers...".
    4/5

2. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Driving Your Girlfriend Home"

It is certainly one of the better tracks on the album, and also benefits from being the first of three successive songs in slow 3/4 time, rather than having to follow the other two. It's a nice tune, just about gets away with being called "understated" rather than "underpowered", I like Morrissey's role as the reluctant confidante, plus you have to love a "Morrissey in a car" lyric. It teeters between two marks but I'll be generous and give it 4/5.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Driving Your - 4/5

The MEZ, spacedyed and Luisboa like this.
  4. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Actually, I’m surprised this is being scored so highly as I’m not a massive fan of this one. There’s possibly a good song in there somewhere, but to me it’s musically insipid and uninspired and lacks the strong melody line of Morrissey’s best work. It’s okay, I suppose, but half a point off for “gradually worser” which makes me cringe every time. It probably doesn’t help that it begins a series of three fairly lugubrious songs in a row. Not an interesting song for me. 2/5.

Gavaxeman, spacedyed and Luisboa like this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Beautiful song all around.
    4/5

6. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

Driving Your Girlfriend..

I like its minimalistic nature. Simplicity on the outside disguising an emptiness on the inside, reminds me of a Ray Carver story.

3.5/5

7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Just thought I'd duck in for a second to say this is a lovely song, and along with "Sing Your Life," the only other truly good song on this album, in my opinion.

It has beautiful, lush, sophisticated, and creative chord changes; a nicely textured arrangement; and a great, moody vibe. It's easily the most musically substantial and melodically rich song on the entire album. Why couldn't the rest of Kill Uncle have been more like this?

Rather than bore us all with Kill Uncle, Morrissey should have simply issued a single with "Sing Your Life" on the A side and this as the B-side.

A very strong 4/5.

8. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Driving Your Girlfriend Home - I really like the bass. Sounds like an upright bass? Some good melodies sprinkled throughout. Some Marr like guitar chord as well. I'll give it a 3.5 rating but with repeated listens, I might could go a bit higher.

9. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Driving Your Girlfriend Home 4 outta 5 yo

10. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

A very pretty song. It could have been fleshed out a bit more, but it's one of the most successful on Kill Uncle. 4/5.

spacedyed, TexasBuck, Luisboa and 2 others like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Driving your Girlfriend home
    5 of 5 for me. Favorite on the album, and a long time career favorite of mine. Kind of like Back to the Old House where there’s subtlety and nuance in the lyrics and a lovely sound in the production.

spacedyed, robbroncs, Luisboa and 3 others like this.
  12. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

A kitchen sink drama in miniature. I like the feedback swell of the intro and the circling, music box prettiness of the guitar, with Bedders' gulping bass falling just on the right side of oompah. The spectral backing vocals in the chorus lift the song. I don't even mind the "worser" line, you can hear the amusement in his voice, he knows it's terrible.

There's a cool bit around 2.25 where you think it's going to go into a middle eight (a bit late, I suppose) and there's some almost shoegazey guitar atmospherics instead. Good closing line, too. Yes, this would make the tracklisting of a filleted Kill Uncle EP.

13. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

driving your four out of five home. love the lyrics. love everything about it. but it's not a fiver

4/5

14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

4/5 for Driving

The MEZ and spacedyed like this.
  15. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Driving Your Girlfriend Home
    Another bass driven song, not surprising given the co writer’s previous band. Its another wispy, rather plodding tune. Like most songs on the album, it could do with a bit more meat on it. The lyrics are relatively interesting, but not too memorable.
    2.5/5

spacedyed likes this.
  16. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I quite like it - it's a knowingly shallow song, but unlike "Found Found Found", never deliberately dumb or crude. It carries with it an air of general resignation - as does most of the album, come to think of it.

Oops. Forgot the mark. 4/5

spacedyed and The MEZ like this.
  17. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Driving Your Girlfriend Home:

1-0
    2-2
    3-3
    4-12
    5-2

mooseman, Luisboa and The MEZ like this.
  18. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye:

For the most part, this is a song that simply exists. It is pretty lifeless and the most noteworthy section is probably the "I don't want to be judged..." lyric, but that doesn't help it to justify its length. It is a couple of minutes too long and, on such a short album, that is fairly inexcusable.

The use of the camera and skateboard sounds don't do enough to maintain interest.

2/5.

TexasBuck, spacedyed, ARL and 2 others like this.
  19. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

0/5. The kind of song that was made to be put on deluxe legacy editions as a "previously unreleased track".

20. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Oh dear. Probably my least favourite Morrissey song of all. There is really nothing to merit this track's existence. It is underwhelming in every respect and a real struggle to get through. Even the theme of the song is entirely uninteresting - which is very unusual for Morrissey. I cannot begin to explain why it was included in that strange This Is Morrissey compilation not so long ago. Was it on there as some kind of joke? Anyway, for the "I don't want to be judged... " lines and the frantic little piano payoff at the end, I'll give it 1/5.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Luisboa, The MEZ and spacedyed like this.
  21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

2.5/5

This is a song that has grown a little on me though. Feels incomplete and not going nowhere, maybe thats the problema with it.

22. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

One of Moz's weakest songs, in my opinion. Genuinely surprising he or someone likes it enough to have made This Is Morrissey. 2/5.

23. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye
    I don’t mind it, really. It is too long but I guess it was used to try and beef up the running time. I like the strange instrumental noises in the background the piano and guitar, if not the samples themselves.
    The title is one of his better ones but the lyrics are a bit obvious, but I would say that we have already had a few much worse than this.
    2.5/5

Luisboa, The MEZ and spacedyed like this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Sounds a bit like Tom Waits meets ‘meat is murder’. Not quite as terrible as found found found but at least that was just 2 minutes long. This just never ends.
    2 of 5

25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye"

This one has sent me to sleep more times than any other Morrissey track. There are few that I could describe as "boring", but this is one of them - rather pompous too. I was generous with the last one, so I'll be mean with this one and settle for 1/5.