The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the reviews and keep them coming. I don't think you posted a rating for At Amber...

The MEZ likes this.
  2. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

This is so true. KU has a horrible sequence. In side b I usually, when Im distracted, get lost for a second in wich track am I.

The MEZ, spacedyed and Orson Swells like this.
  3. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

The End of the Family Line
    Another decent bass lead and subtle acoustic guitar track, which in itself is decent, but after a couple of other quiet tracks before it on side two, it feels a bit too much. Lyrics are okay, nothing special, but it does feel very average again.
    2.5/5

spacedyed, Orson Swells and Luisboa like this.
  4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

The end of the family line..

Easily the best track on side 2, a very nice tune, great lyric and a decent vocal. Hooray

So 4/5 ..

“With no complications
    Fifteen generations
    (of mine)
    All honoring Nature
    Until I arrive
    (With incredible style)
    I'm the end of the line
    The end of the family line
    The end of the line..”

Luisboa, mooseman, TexasBuck and 4 others like this.
  5. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

"End of the Family Line" is my favorite from KU. Melancholy lyrics paired nicely with some of the best guitar work on the album. The false ending is lovely and the melody is one of the best in Morrissey's solo work to this point. I like the idea that this is about The Smiths, but I've always associated it with the more personal gay end of the line: not getting married/having children/continuing the family name/line. A definite 5/5 for me, at least compared to the rest of the album.

Luisboa, mooseman, jalexander and 3 others like this.
  6. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

(I’m) The End of the Family Line

Love this one. Very happy to see the positive reviews.

While not at the end of mine, I can imagine how this might raise some existential issues. And Morrissey addresses it in an appropriately weary voice, of someone perhaps nearly out of time, which deepens the poignancy.

“The decision is mine” is an interesting element here. No self-pity; he’s made his bed consciously, for better or worse, and he’ll stick to the plan.

“Our family tree hacked into decline, and I’m spared the pain of ever saying goodbye”. One of my favorite Morrissey lines. The metaphor works, and the touch of sadness is palpable and perfect. Just lovely. And yes, sung wonderfully (whereas, while I liked Driving Your Girlfriend, I thought he could have performed that one a bit better.)

Liked the false fade too. Why not...it worked for That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore.

4.5/5

Luisboa, mooseman, spacedyed and 3 others like this.
  7. Gavaxeman

I’ve got all his studio albums on vinyl (some several times!). This has a couple of hard to find songs on a vinyl album -Lost, Sunny, sister I’m a poet (studio), the edit of Now My heart is full...

I really want a vinyl reissue of the two live albums and early burglary years

mooseman, pwhytey and andres lira like this.
  8. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Self-consciously anthemic, maybe, but it works. Someone had to write a song for the non-breeders. The backing reminds me a bit of a Cocteau Twins track (can’t recall which one - from HoLV, maybe)...ironic, given his avowed loathing for them. It’s within spitting distance of the Sundays, too, who were capturing a Smithsian tone more consistently and effectively than Morrissey around this time.

Luisboa, Gavaxeman, spacedyed and 2 others like this.
  9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I like 'End of the Family Line' a lot. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I tend to judge how good Morrissey's solo songs are by thinking 'how well would this fit on one of the Smiths' albums?' and this one I think has a bit of a 'Well I Wonder' or 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore' feel. Would fit quite nicely on 'Meat is Murder'. A solid four and a half.

10. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

(I'm) The End of the Family Line - Very strong verses. I love the lyrics and the subject matter. The chorus could be stronger, but overall, a very respectable track. I could have done without the false ending. I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5, but it could go higher with repeated listens.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

One thing I like about this thread is revisiting songs on their own, songs that are better than i remembered. And a bunch on kill uncle were better than I recall but it doesn’t mean they’re all 5s. I give this a 2 instead of a 1. It’s rehashing ‘will never marry’, it has a nice guitar break but it’s still a minute too long, and for a 3 minute song that’s not a great sign.

End of the Line 2 of 5

Luisboa, Turk Thrust and spacedyed like this.
  12. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Ah, 4/5

:)

13. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

One of the album's best songs. I personally think it works better as the closing track though, so I'm glad that's how they sequenced it for the 2013 remaster. 4/5 for (I'm) The End of the Family Line.

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

4/5 for The End of the Family Line.

15. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

end of the family line.
    4/5

songs like this, made me relate tremendously to moz. which obviously has been part of his appeal after all of these years.
    my father isn't happy with our decision. but the songs says it all....

16. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Sorry to harp on, but once again, a godawful album cover. It looks like a photo from the late 80s — and it's terrible. He was at his most handsome during this time, so why would anyone choose this dreadful image? Is he slightly crosseyed? And what the hell is going on with those exclamation marks? I'm speechless.

[​IMG]

georgespigott and spacedyed like this.
  17. Turk Thrust

That "tattoo" on his arm suggests that the photo certainly aint from the 80s. ;)

18. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Good call @Turk Thrust. Would it be circa Vauxhall?

Ugh, regardless, I just can't believe how bad this is.

19. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

It's from a photo session for Southpaw Grammar in 1995 - the one where he wore makeup to look like cuts and bruises. It's an excellent compilation.

spacedyed, pwhytey and Gavaxeman like this.
  20. Gavaxeman

The worst cover has to go to Swords ... looks like he’s about to go for a **** in the woods

21. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

This is his worst album cover
    [​IMG]
    Looks like he's about to go for a **** in the bath ;)

Luisboa, Gavaxeman and pwhytey like this.
  22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I think it's halaraus, you got to have a sense of humor with Morrissey.

Luisboa, spacedyed and Vauxhall like this.
  23. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I suspect the exclamation marks are a wink to his Mexican fanbase. Shocking typeface choices and an unflattering pose, he looks like a bobblehead. Machismo doesn’t really suit him.

pwhytey likes this.
  24. Turk Thrust

The ratings for (I'm) The End of the Family Line:

1-0
    2-3
    3-2
    4-11
    5-1

25. Turk Thrust

Today's song is There is a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends:

A fitting album closer, I've always enjoyed this one...in its studio form at least. Mark Nevin's churchy piano (taken from the demo as the producers couldn't recapture the atmosphere) has a sound that you don't hear all that often in pop music and it helps to add some poignancy to the lyrics.

A poignancy that was completely lost imo on the KROQ and live versions.

I like the fact that there is no attempt by Morrissey to sound cool or angry on this one.

For the studio version, I will stretch to 4/5.