The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I've never heard this one before as I had stopped buying the singles by this time but good grief, this is bad. The vocal and the music don't seem to fit together, someone seems to be playing an out-of-tune ocarina throughout, the arrangement borders on the random, the production is diabolical with all those rotten reverbs, the "gunshot" sound effects are hilariously bad and it seems to last about a fortnight. Even the fade seems to be random.

He obviously lacked direction at this time and elected to work through the problem but, no, he should have put an etching on this b-side rather than this. I gave it two listens and never want to hear it again.

2. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Indeed there are but let's not pretend this song is prescient or anything - it's SPM in the huff about some less-than-glowing write ups and, in particular, their damn cheek in publishing interviews with Street, Rourke and Joyce.

georgespigott, John54 and Luisboa like this.
  3. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

@Turk Thrust can I change my rating on this one? I remembered of Get of the Stage and this one cant go below that one. So 1.5 for journalists.

Turk Thrust likes this.
  4. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sure.

Luisboa likes this.
  5. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Journalists Who Lie 3/5. Not a bad track but nothing special either.

Since i came into this thread a bit late i thought i'd post my song ratings for the Viva Hate & Bong Drag era songs.

Everyday Is Like Sunday 4/5
    Suedehead 3/5
    The Last of the Famous International Playboys 3/5
    Hairdresser on Fire 4/5
    November Spawned a Monster 5/5
    Piccadilly Palare 5/5
    Angel, Angel Down We Go Together 5/5
    Late Night, Maudlin Street 5/5
    Sister I'm a Poet 3/5
    Alsatian Cousin 5/5
    Disappointed 5/5
    I Know Very Well How I Got My Name 5/5
    Will Never Marry 5/5
    Ouija Board, Ouija Board 3/5
    Yes, I Am Blind 4/5
    Break Up the Family 4/5
    Interesting Drug 3/5
    Lucky Lisp 4/5
    The Ordinary Boys 4/5
    Little Man, What Now? 4/5
    Lifeguard on Duty 3/5
    I Don't Mind If You Forget Me 4/5
    Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference 2/5
    He Knows I'd Love to See Him 4/5
    Happy Lovers at Last United 2/5
    Dial-A-Cliche 3/5
    Michaels Bones 3/5
    Striptease With a Difference 2/5
    Bengali in Platforms 2/5
    At Amber 2/5
    Girl Least Likely To 2/5
    Margaret on the Guillotine 4/5
    East West 3/5
    Oh Well, I'll Never Learn 4/5
    Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness 3/5
    Oh Phoney 2/5
    Get Off the Stage 4/5
    Safe Warm, Lancashire Home 2/5
    Treat Me Like a Human Being 2/5

6. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Journalists Who Lie

(Warning: Here is a phrase I'm going to using a lot in the next few days) This is an improvement on most of Kill Uncle.

I love the rockabilly drumming; and the whole off kilter, slightly queasiness of the music to reflect the then fairly valid "Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me" lyrical paranoia. There are some wonderfully savage Mozzer one liners in this that are guaranteed to raise a mile. Sure it is not to everybody's tastes, but it is to mine. The only real criticism I have on this is that the producers/arrangers ran out of ideas (or did not have the time in the studio to come up with some) to embellish the background musical sounds as the last minute feels a waste as it meanders to a close.

3.5/5

mooseman, spacedyed, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  7. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Journalists Who Lie
    An okay cod-rockabilly tune which does go on a bit too long for its own good. But it has more life than some of the Kill Uncle tracks. As people have said rather predictable lyrics but can’t fault the sentiments of the song as a whole.
    2.5/5

spacedyed, Luisboa and ARL like this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Journalists who Lie - 2
    I am a ‘true’ fan who still likes stuff on newer albums but this song just doesn’t do it for me.

spacedyed, Gavaxeman and Luisboa like this.
  9. Turk Thrust

The ratings for Journalists Who Lie:

1-4
    2-5
    3-6
    4-1
    5-0

Luisboa, The MEZ and spacedyed like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Today's song is Tony the Pony:

This is another from an era where it feels like a lot of Morrissey songs just exist. This isn't particularly good or particularly bad, it's just not particularly noteworthy which is perhaps the worst thing.

Another song where the lyrics don't have much substance to them and Morrissey apparently instantly disliked it upon hearing it.

I presume that the record company in North America felt that the album was too short, but simply tacking this song on the end as the final track was completely inappropriate.

2.5/5

11. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Tony The Pony"

Well, let's address the elephant in the room first of all - it's basically "Karma Chameleon", isn't it? Just listen to that intro again.

Another one that I don't really mind even though there isn't much substance to it. I like the descending piano line in the chorus. But like the previous one, it goes on a bit too long.

I was wondering the other day whether he had a particular Tony in mind - Tony Wilson? The way that New Order and Happy Mondays took a ride on him?

3/5

Luisboa, The MEZ and inglorious like this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

Tony - 4/5

13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

"Tony" ... not the worst Morrissey song, but one of the worst. 1/5

Luisboa likes this.
  14. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Tony the Pony - I like the bass line and jangle guitar. The verses are good. However, the chorus is very disappointing. I like the acoustic guitar outro. The song has enough good part to easily earn a 2.5. Perhaps I'm being a half point too harsh, but I'll stick with it.

15. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

"Tony the Pony" As an American, I only knew this as the last song on Kill Uncle. Didn't feel it belonged (especially as the last song on the album) but didn't know it wasn't meant to be there until years later. I like it enough: the guitars are very melodic and the rhythm infectious -- all with a slight hint of The Smiths in it. Not the greatest lyric, but not offensive either. 3/5

jalexander, mooseman, Luisboa and 3 others like this.
  16. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Tony the Pony
    Another upbeat track at least. Another decent bass line again.Yeah, the chorus is not the best and it does outstay its welcome a bit. Lyrics are nothing special. Very b sidey and just adequate.
    2/5

Luisboa, TexasBuck and spacedyed like this.
  17. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

I have to say I really like it. It's upbeat, melodic, catchy, and much better than anything on side two of Kill Uncle. It's nicely oblique too - what does he even mean by "Tony the Pony"? Johnny The Phoney? Is he musing on the Morrissey/Marr dynamic? There are some archetypal Morrissey-esque lines in there ("Why do you always want to stop me / From doing the things in life that make me happy?") and an amusing payoff: "I don't want to say I told you so... but Tony, I told you so." Not a classic by any means, but in the context of a very lean period I'll give it 3.5/5.

18. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

It's a fairly mediocre track, but it isn't terrible by any means. 2.5/5 for 'Tony the Pony'.

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

3 for tony Toni tone
    Not much to say. Inoffensive and average.

20. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Tony the Pony 2.5/5

21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I like Tony the Pony. Lets say its one of my favourites of KU considering the US edition.
    I will not give it a 4 beacause of the lyric, but I really like it musically.
    Its one of those songs that if I analyze it it got nothing special but gives me great pleasure to listen and dont tire me after some listenings.
    3.5/5

22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Tony the Pony, 4/5
    One of my favorites from the KU b sides.
    It also a prefect ending on the US cd.

spacedyed, The MEZ and Luisboa like this.
  23. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I don't think I had heard "Tony the Pony" before until today, but I hear nothing objectionable about it musically (the lyrics weren't standing out enough for me to notice them on first listen). It's clearly better than almost all of Kill Uncle, so to me tacking it onto the album was a very wise move by whoever decided to do that.

It's got nice, understated, melodic guitar; a cool and moody chord change into the chorus or whatever; good beat, etc. It's a pretty cool song! This is another one of this instances where I'm really confused by the lower scores some people are giving it.

I'd give it a 3.5/5, but that score could edge up a bit with more listens.

24. Dalav

Dalav Forum Resident

Tony....

The US album is the one I’m familiar with. I always felt they should have found room for it on all versions. I quite like this track. Sure it was positioned oddly, but it has a pulse, and injected some life into the album. Kicks off well with a nice beat and bass. I always look forward to it. (Replace Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye and call it a day.) It’s a shame Morrissey seems to have such a low opinion of it.

Like many of the songs that appeal to me, there is melancholic recollection mixed with regret, admonitions, characters falling short of potential, and finally the “oh, but Tony I told you so” payoff, which is delivered so nicely.

I too am a bit surprised by the somewhat lower ratings in a few comments here. I’d slot it in a bit north of noteworthy. Certainly enjoyable. 3.5/5

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

3/5 for Tony the Pony