The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Not the point - the point is that he spends the lyric being critical and then just pivots to "I love you" - why not a verse or two telling us why? Otherwise, he's just having a grouse and then going "no offence!" at the end of it.

Luisboa likes this.
  2. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for America Is Not the World:

1-0
    2-4
    3-10
    4-5
    5-2

Luisboa, Gavaxeman and The MEZ like this.
  3. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Irish Blood, English Heart:

Compared with yesterday’s song, Alain’s music is much more impressive here. His aggressive tune combined with Jerry Finn’s polished production helped to make this the most impressive single that Morrissey had released in a decade.

It was fitting that the lyrics answered some of the criticisms that Morrissey had received over the years. Though I preferred the original incarnation as performed on the Janice Long show.

I remember talking to a friend during the week of release and mentioning that it would be in the top 5. “Morrissey???” came the disbelieving reply.

I think it was also single of the week in The News of the World (I didn’t read it myself, honestly! :)) to show just how much of a volte face the press had done.

Back in 1997 some friends, when they knew I was a Morrissey fan, had said, “terrible, awful, finished etc.” Now in 2004 the same people were saying, “wonderful, great, legend etc.) The fickle nature of fame…

This was a fine way to reintroduce Morrissey and an even better single was to follow.

4/5.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Irish Blood, English Heart, Amazing Song! - 5/5

Luisboa, Vauxhall, TexasBuck and 4 others like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

The Janice Long version

6. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Irish Blood, English Heart"

Possibly the best track on the album for me. The lyrics may be something of a powderkeg these days so probably best not discussed (?). It has more energy and momentum than most of the other tracks, although to be honest still not a great favourite for me in the grand scheme of things. 3.5/5.

7. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Well, as an American, I can tell you that it's sometimes hard to find quantifiable reasons to love this place, but somehow I still do. I suspect he was having the same feelings and for once in his life, was rendered speechless.

Luisboa and Bryan Harris like this.
  8. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Great comeback single. Maladjusted was a distant memory and Morrissey was back with a bang. First of the Gang may have been the better song but there’s no denying the impact this had. I think it’s one of the older songs on the album as he had mentioned it as the title of his proposed next album years before. I definitely remember him playing it in Blackburn long before Quarry and it stood out even then. Something in the music/structure reminds me of Blur’s Song 2 and the lyric is typically idiosyncratic and caustic. A brave and bold choice of first single in many ways, but it paid off handsomely. 5/5

9. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

Just like Your Arsenal, this album kicks off with a great one-two punch. While "America" is a bit gentler, and "Irish Blood" is heavier, they both are strong political statements and fantastic songs. It really showed he was back. 5/5 for "Irish Blood, English Heart."

10. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

irish blood.

not a rocker. a destroyer. and the title is perfect

5/5

Man at C&A, Luisboa, Vauxhall and 9 others like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Irish Blood - great song great lyric love when it kicks in. I can feel Morrissey swirling the mic cord around. The funny thing about the lyric is he writes it to him locally but as a Texan, I can directly relate it too. I’m sick to death of my local Labour and Tories. Personal to him and relatable to fans anywhere which isn’t easy when political. Coming after such a slow fall to mediocrity in the 90s, middle aged Moz looked great, sounded confident, and the polished radio rock sound works for me here.

A very strong 4 of 5

Man at C&A, Luisboa, Vauxhall and 7 others like this.
  12. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Irish Blood, English Heart - 5/5

Luisboa, Vauxhall, TexasBuck and 2 others like this.
  13. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Irish Blood..... 4.5

Luisboa, Vauxhall, TexasBuck and 2 others like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, some parallels here to early Smiths stuff like Headmaster Ritual. He was writing from a very specific, English place, yet it rang true to me many miles away in New England.

Luisboa, guidedbyvoices and The MEZ like this.
  15. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

"Irish Blood, English Heart"
    Awesome single. I feel like we got this BEFORE the album, right?
    Love the way he expresses how he feels... great musicianship.
    It's not often an artist later on in his career (he was 20 years in at this point) actually writes better lyrics that the albums that preceded it. But these lyrics are far more meaningful than anything on Maladjusted or Southpaw Grammar
    4.5/5.0

The MEZ, Man at C&A, Luisboa and 5 others like this.
  16. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Irish Blood...

Possibly his best and most important single since Suedehead, an explosive return , short sharp and not so sweet... it’s a belter and the lyrics are even more on the nose these brexit days than ever in the U.K. (sick to death of labour and tories indeed)

5/5

..English heart .

On another note I’m off to a smiths tribute band tonight in the currently pouring rain..how apt ...

17. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

In my top 5 songs by him. An easy, definite 5/5.

Luisboa, Vauxhall, TexasBuck and 3 others like this.
  18. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Irish Blood, English Heart

Everyone has already expressed in different variations my thoughts on this. So I'd thought I'd post this British 1963 single which I'm sure Morrissey would approve of:

5.0/5

19. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

In a way, the most important thing about IBEH is that Morrissey actually had something TO SAY. As a number of people have commented over the last 10-15 pages, "Maladjusted" was characterised by bland, directionless lyrics, seemingly devoid of any purpose other than to give him something to sing. Not this - this was a bold message from a man who had clearly sharpened his quill and regained some fire in his belly. His performance is superb and the band rise to meet him. To make this the first single saw him once again stand alone from a generally non-committal music scene where what politics there was usually concerned international matters (namely the post 9/11 invasion of Iraq) and the fearlessness was thrilling - this was the man who wrote "The Queen Is Dead", not the man who wrote "Roy's Keen". It was a risky gambit but, in the UK, the political climate was very different 15 years ago and nationhood had not become the toxic divisive issue Britain endures today. In the event, absence had made many hearts grow fonder and this storming single put him right back in the limelight and at the top end of the charts. Quite right too. 5/5.

20. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Irish Blood, English Heart: - This is one of the couple songs I remember liking on "You Are the Quarry". The riff in the verses sounds rather 80's like. It seems like Cutting Crew or Corey Hart would start off with something similar. It's OK but oh... the chorus.... It has teeth and it bites hard. It's about as intense as Morrissey gets. The lyrics add to the drama. Morrissey's vocal delivery is completely sincere. High marks for this one. 4.5 out of 5 ranking.

21. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Irish Blood, English Heart a 5/5. One wonders where he got such a rebellious, undaunted attitude?

TexasBuck and Gavaxeman like this.
  22. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

'Irish Blood, English Heart'

Morrissey's success in Australia had always been unspectacular, but his comeback in 2004 barely registered. The album only reached #64 and this single didn't even make the Top 100. As a result, this song was totally unknown to me until only a couple of years ago, when I thought I'd give his post-Southpaw work a listen.

I really like it. It's a powerful song musically and Morrissey is in fine voice. @octophone described it very well as a storming single. It does seem incredibly short, but that's not uncommon for Morrissey (hey, it's still almost 30 seconds longer than 'Shakespeare's Sister'!)

I'm not entirely sure what he's saying lyrically, other than expressing his general disaffection. His dreams for England's future seem incredibly vague. Morrissey has always been anti-establishment, but is he hoping for the end of both major parties? The dismantling of the English political system? Dreaming of UKIP, Moz? And the Cromwell reference is very confusing. Is it about the English recognising the Irish suffering during the Cromwellian conquest? If so, why does he dilute it by bringing in the royal family? Why would they salute Cromwell when he deposed the monarchy and beheaded their relative? Maybe it makes more sense if you're English or Irish, but I find it a bit all over the shop in terms of takeaway message.

Still, any lyric that includes the word "baneful" is to be applauded. :righton:

3.5/5

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  23. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Irish Blood, English Heart 4/5 - I remember being shocked how aggro the guitars were when they explode during the chorus. Jerry Finn was really bringing his punk production background to practice.

Also, the first of a few songs from this era that started life with a short lived Alain Whyte band called Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams. This might sound familiar:

24. John54

John54 Senior Member

3/5 for Irish Blood; not really fussy about it

The MEZ and Luisboa like this.