The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

"The World Is Full of Crashing Bores"
    The weak part of this song is that it feels that he came up with the title and really wanted a song with this title so he then added the verses...
    But, I love his voice and I love his attack of attorneys... much better than the last song that was an attack on attorneys.
    Here's the part that will get me into trouble, the "Take me in your arms and love me" reminds me of the lyrics by Gene (Martin Rossiter's lyrics)... sure feels like it's close enough to (slightly changed from) "Speak To Me Someone" by Gene.
    3.5/5.0

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    The MEZ, robbroncs and Luisboa like this.
  2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

The world is full..

I love this track , brilliant lyric and vocal , it’s great live , it’s another 5/5 .

..of crashing chores

3. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure why that would get you into trouble, but apart from both songs containing the word "me" there has always seemed very little similarity. Different lyrics and different vocal melodies.

The theme of hoping for a person to hold you/love you has been in countless songs obviously and is unique to neither of them.

The MEZ and Luisboa like this.
  4. StevenC

It may get me into trouble because after modeling a musical style after Morrissey, Martin Rossiter has been pretty outspoken about not caring for Morrissey any longer. Not that Morrissey would care, but keep in mind, Moz fans are the easiest to wind up.

Luisboa likes this.
  5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"The World is Full of Crashing Bores"

On the cover image Morrissey is wielding a tommy gun, and on this song he lets it off in all directions. It's a solid enough track, but I just don't really like it that much. It's one of the tracks that contributes to my (probably misguided) overall impression that Quarry is just too miserable and mean-spirited - even for a Morrissey album! 2/5.

TexasBuck and Luisboa like this.
  6. StevenC

I love "Quarry" and consider it his last great album... that's if we're using "great" by dictionary definition. I've never considered it "mean spirited"; this was just the beginning of his bitchy persona.

Luisboa likes this.
  7. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I'm not sorry 3/5
    The world is full 2/5

TexasBuck, The MEZ and inglorious like this.
  8. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Musically, this is a bit of a Frankenstein’s monster; it almost feels like a Maladjusted outtake or a leaden rewrite of Ballad of a Thin Man. Having seen it live a few times before the album came out, I feel the studio version never really captured the full potential of the song. It seems just a little too slow and where are Finn’s usual production flourishes to lift it? Still, lyrically, while it may not be among his very best, what others see as bitchy and mean I see as waspish and camply humorous. Didn’t he spend the entire 80s being bitchy after all? It’s not his greatest moment by any means but the vocal melody and performance almost entirely save the song from Harsh Truth levels of mediocrity. It’s an absolutely phenomenal performance - and the point he makes about blanket cultural blandness rings true even more so today than it did back than. I was never a huge fan of this one, but I enjoyed hearing it again much more than I expected to. It’s actually rather amusing. 4/5

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  9. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

the only thing that will get in trouble with me, is if you speak ill of my beloved Gene.

The World Is Full of Crashing Bores

sometimes i think he comes up with a title, and then try to write a song around it :rolleyes:

3/5

Luisboa, TexasBuck and The MEZ like this.
  10. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
    Though the music is not particularly top drawer the lyrics and vocal performance are among my favourite ever by him. Humour, sarcasm, attack on the mainstream, the sudden change of mind on whether he is a bore...wonderful stuff. The sort of Morrissey I want.
    5/5

Luisboa, Gavaxeman, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks for keeping up with this!

Interesting that as a group we like Burglary more than Viva Hate? Though some of that i assume is less voters but thinking highly of it, whereas Viva Hate more people were participating and familiar with. Also interesting the only two Southpaw/ Maladjusted songs to crack the top 20 are b sides!

Luisboa and The MEZ like this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Crashing Bores - 3.5
    My first half point rating. I like it more than 'not sorry' but cant fully commit to a 4. It's fine, works better live, a good vocal, humorous title, but not one I seek out a lot, and not as strong as the opening four songs.

13. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

The World Is Full Of Crashing Notes 3/5 - This was one of the songs he played live over a year before the album was released. After such a long wait for new material, I remember being very disappointed by this one in particular after hearing bootlegs. I dreaded it being on the album and worried about what this meant for the songs he WASN'T showcasing. Ultimately, while not a great track, the finished version ended up being pretty enjoyable (and my album worries were fortunately unfounded).

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores - 3/5

15. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

Another instance of being surprised at the so-so ratings. This song has always stuck out to me as being one of the many highlights on the album. It's incredibly catchy, Morrissey's vocals are astounding, and the lyrics are still wholly relevant. 5/5 for "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores."

Luisboa, Gavaxeman, mooseman and 4 others like this.
  16. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

The World Is Full of Crashing Bores
    2/5

And this song is one of them. The melody and instrumental portion of the song have always just laid there and the ending was problematic from the first live outings in 2002. On that tour, the outro awkwardly kicked into double-time briefly. On the album, it just trails off. I remember a brief interview with Boz and Alain in MOJO in 2002 - when a handful of the YATQ songs were being tried out live. Boz was quoted as saying he wanted to have a bit of piano in Crashing Bores but Morrissey said it was not necessary. Someone apparently felt otherwise by the time the recording proper rolled around - and its presence or absence doesn't help one iota.

Luisboa likes this.
  17. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I am also surprised at the negatively directed at this track ("Crashing Bores"). It has always been one of my favorites on the album. The vocals and melody are superb. 4.5/5.

Luisboa, Gavaxeman, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  18. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Crashing Bores 5/5

Luisboa, TexasBuck, Gavaxeman and 4 others like this.
  19. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

The World is Full of Crashing Bores

Let's be honest musically this is a dirge, a big drop off from on the preceding tracks on the album. It is only Morrissey's soaring vocals; and lyrically very entertaining lyrics that get this to a half decent score.

3.0/5

Luisboa, The MEZ and TexasBuck like this.
  20. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

The World is Full of Crashing Bores - Pretty strong vocal melodies throughout. Nothing special musically but Morrissey's vocals carries this one well enough. Lyrics are above average. Not a stand-out track but a solid one. 3 ranking out of 5.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

3/5 for Crashing Bores

22. Turk Thrust

The ratings for The World is Full of Crashing Bores:

1-0
    2-3
    3-9
    4-2
    5-4

The MEZ and Luisboa like this.
  23. Turk Thrust

Today’s song is How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?:

Another of the lesser songs on the album and another where the music fails to impress…

Lyrically it feels a little like Morrissey by numbers and if this had been relegated to b-side status, then it would have been no loss.

Thankfully the album is about to take a turn for the better again.

2.5/5.

24. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?

2.5/5

listenable, but not so great.

The MEZ and inglorious like this.
  25. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Cue in the infamous Elvis Costello quote...

"Morrissey writes wonderful song titles, but sadly he often forgets to write the song."​

Blame The Machines likes this.