The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Yes, it almost instantly killed that Glastonbury performance stone dead! It's fair to say the audience were bemused. That said I do quite like it. It's another song about a character with a somewhat ambiguous sexuality - as suggested by the very amusing "When he was a teenage boy something got stuck in his throat". It's a strange one as it's not good enough to be a single, perhaps too good to be a b-side, and doesn't quite feel like an album track either. Whatever, it's unusual, amusing and fun. 3.75/5

2. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Don’t Make Fun of Daddy’s Voice
    Very unusual song and certainly completely different to virtually everything from this era. Not a massive fan of the chorus. It’s a bit chaotic and I find the repeated outro ‘...con papi’ a tad annoying too, but the verse lyrics are quite good, though.
    The beginning is a bit like Roxy Music and the general tune, a bit like Suede, I always thought.
    Having listened to it again just now for the first time in years, I must say that it is better than I remembered. Didn’t know that about opening with it at Glastonbury. That is hilarious...and totally Morrissey..
    3/5

CaptainFeedback1 and The MEZ like this.
  3. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Since this thread started to enter in a Morrissey era Im not that well familiar its time to say goodbye. I missed for lack of time the part of You are the Quarry, but to be honest I prefer the 90's Morrissey so I leave it that way. Its been a pleasure posting on this thread, thank you guys, specially @Turk Thrust for all the work and knwoledge you put in here. :tiphat: I will come back once in a while checking how the things are going. :wave:

4. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice is my favorite non-album track of the YATQ era. 4/5

5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Dont Make Fun..."

A strange, but striking one - sounds like it's come straight out of the Britpop era, e.g. Elastica. Also seems a little reminiscent of "In The Future When All's Well" at the start of the verse. Like all the 2004 b-sides I've heard so far, there's nothing in here which turns me off on first listen, unlike what happened with much of Quarry. I feel I would have enjoyed an album of the b-sides more than the actual album. 3/5.

mooseman and The MEZ like this.
  6. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Don't Make Fun..... 3.75

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Don’t Make Fun of Daddy’s Voice
    By far my favorite of this era’s b sides. I love ‘in the future when all’s well’ so this is right up my alley. Moz’s wry humor, chorus is right in his vocal sweet spot, band rocks, and just enough keyboard to give a new flavor.
    Strong 4 of 5.

Vauxhall, mooseman, Spazaru and 3 others like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

"Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice"

Another one where music is better than the lyric but decent.
    3.0/5.0

mooseman likes this.
  9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

"Daddy's Voice" - I love the con papi outro. The lyrics are so goofy and the keys are a little icy and harsh, but overall I like the song. 3.75/5.

10. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

"Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" 4/5
    One of favorites from this period. :righton:

11. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Don’t make fun...

First heard this at the Manchester concert , always raises a smile , 3/5

mooseman and The MEZ like this.
  12. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Don’t Make Fun... kind of amusing the first time through, but becomes tiring beyond that. Not one I ever need to come back to.

2/5

TexasBuck likes this.
  13. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Don't Make Fun... 4/5 - Just a great, big, stupid rock song. The guitars sound so enormous.

14. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

A great song full of innuendo. 4/5 for "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice."

15. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Don’t Make Fun of Daddy’s Voice - I should like it for the grungy sounding guitars but it's not enough. Morrissey's voice seems out of place on what seems like a Toadies riff. Lyrics are light-hearted and odd. I don't really get the joke so this song is mostly forgettable for me. 2.5 ranking out of 5.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Uh oh, we're in a (not necessarily Asian) rut. 2/5 for Daddy's Voice, the second consecutive one

17. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Don’t Make Fun of Daddy’s Voice...LOL. 5/5.

The MEZ and Orson Swells like this.
  18. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice:

1-0
    2-3
    3-5
    4-9
    5-1

The MEZ likes this.
  19. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Friday Mourning:

This has become a big fan favourite and it is a very solid piece of songwriting from both Moz and Alain.

I think Simon Goddard described it as “microwave Morrissey” which is probably fair. The lyrics are a neat encapsulation of many of his themes, but I think of it more as a piece of craftsmanship than as anything too inspired.

Without such a strong vocal this track might have fallen flat, but it turned out to be another pretty impressive song for 2004 and became a decent part of the live show, too.

3.5/5.

20. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Friday Mourning 4/5 - Something about his vocal here really reminds me of the Bona Drag era. I'm not musically smart enough to pinpoint what it is in his delivery that causes that correlation. I really enjoy the repeated "You are a loser" bit.

The MEZ likes this.
  21. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I'm a sucker for songs about days of the week anyway and this is one of my faves. I like it because people who aren't huge Morrissey fans see it and say, "typical Morrissey" because of its "depressing" title and then I say, yep, typical Morrissey, so it's better than the crap you like! :laugh:

4/5

The MEZ likes this.
  22. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Morrissey balladry usually but this falls some way short of the best for me. It's solid enough, but feels a little uninspired. Musically, there's something of an Oasis ballad to it and lyrically it seems a little forced. Great vocal though and still a more than decent b-side. 3/5

TexasBuck and The MEZ like this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Friday Mourning- 3/5

Orson Swells and The MEZ like this.
  24. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Friday Mourning 3/5

TexasBuck and Orson Swells like this.
  25. George P

George P Way Down Now

Friday Mourning - 4/5