The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

I like the Italian film references. Pasolini was killed by a male hustler I believe. Good chorus. 4/5.

The MEZ and Orson Swells like this.
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'll give You Have Killed Me an initial 3/5, although it's really closer to 3.5/5, and may sneak over the half-point barrier on repeated listening, because I like some of the flourishes of the guitars and whatever other musical accompaniment was added.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for You Have Killed Me:

1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-9
    5-3

The MEZ likes this.
  4. Turk Thrust

Today’s song is The Youngest Was the Most Loved:

Probably my favourite of the singles from this album, I think Tony Visconti did a fine job in injecting some life into an otherwise unspectacular track. The child chorus and the short piano sections help to make it stand out from some of the other up tempo songs on the album.

The chorus could pretty much be one of Morrissey’s defining lyrics and the “retroussé nose” line is a nice touch, as well.

4/5.

5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"The Youngest Was The Most Loved"

Another great track. Love the opening with the Italian emergency vehicle and the drops of bass, before it kicks into action. Gary Day's bassline really drives this along, and I think there is some of the Southpaw energy in the performance. The childrens' choir adds a nicely sinister touch to the lyrics, and I like the "darkness" of the production. A bit of Moz yodelling at the end is the cherry on the cake. 4/5.

6. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

now whats Been naggingly lacking in the prior songs comes to the fore. It’s an okay song. Narcissistic monsters are always an interesting subject. Lack of melody lands this a 3/5 for me. But we all love murderous cherubs.

7. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

"There is no such/thing in life as normal"...always loved that line, not so much the words but the way he sings them. Children's choruses usually aren't my thing but Moz is one of the only ones who can pull them off.

4/5

8. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

An underrated one this, I think. I seem to remember it coming in for some stick from fans at the time - but I think it's another superb entry into his long line of "outsider" songs. "There's no such thing in life as normal" is quintessential Morrissey and the choir and yodelling are superb touches. I suspect the "retroussé nose" was pinched from Betjeman's The Olympic Girl on his Late-Flowering Love album. Anyway, I love the narrative of the shy child turning into a killer. In Morrissey's hands it all becomes strangely uplifting. 4.5/5

9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

"The Youngest Was The Most Loved" 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  10. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

The Youngest......4.25

Orson Swells, ARL and Vauxhall like this.
  11. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

As with just about all of the tracks on Ringleader, Morrissey's on top form both vocally and lyrically, and the choir accompanies him very well. Another highlight on a fantastic album. 4.5/5 for "The Youngest Was the Most Loved."

12. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

"The Youngest Was The Most Loved"
    4.0/5.0

Pop_Zeus and The MEZ like this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Youngest - not quite a 5 but a very strong 4

I think the choir works because it’s not a chorale of properly enunciated notes like ‘you can’t always get what you want’. It sounds like kids, not hands-folded children.

I love the end too. This string of three Jesse songs in a row are similar but I love them all. It’s a sweet spot for Morrissey for me, rocking, strong melodies going a bit all over, and a confident Moz out front. Jesse seems to get a bunch of flak from some long time fans, there’s some duffs in songs he wrote sure, but there’s a lot he’s written that are among my very favorites - including tomorrow’s song

14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

"Youngest" - 3.5. This track is fine, but it doesn't thrill me as much as the first three.

mooseman and The MEZ like this.
  15. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

The Youngest Was The Most Loved
    Decent enough rocker, if unspectacular. Not a fan of child choirs but as others have said Morrisseys performance is top notch. Decent production of a rather ordinary tune elevates it somewhat, too.
    3.5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  16. John54

John54 Senior Member

3/5 for The Youngest Was the Most Loved

The MEZ likes this.
  17. Turk Thrust

The ratings for The Youngest Was the Most Loved:

1-0
    2-0
    3-5
    4-8
    5-0

The MEZ likes this.
  18. Turk Thrust

Today’s song is In the Future When All’s Well:

Another strong single and another case of the production boosting an already decent track. The extra little guitar and keyboard additions help to enliven what might otherwise have been a rather too straightforward chugging rocker.

This is generally one of the lighter lyrical moments on the album, but I think one of Ringleader’s strengths is the right blend of light and shade.

3.5/5.

19. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

Another great offering from Jesse and another personal favorite. I find the glam rock-esque music really nice, and Moz's voice elevates the song considerably. Not to mention the fantastic ending. 4.5/5 for "In the Future When All's Well."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  20. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"In The Future When All's Well"

More than a bit of T-Rex in this one, and it's a tad more ordinary than its two predecessors, but still a song packed with hooks and energy. Morrissey is on top form again, and excellent guitar work throughout. 3.5/5.

21. Orson Swells

Yes, a notch down from the previous four tracks but only a notch. It works particularly well with the video - in which he looks great. Perhaps it could have done with a slight edit for the single? Some people try to say Morrissey was in steep decline with Ringleader, but this feels like light years ahead of most of the Uncle/Southpaw/Maladjusted material. There's a lightness and a playfulness to it that I really like - and then at the end the lyric suddenly deepens with the "future is ended by a long sleep" refrain. I could never work out who Lee was though. 4/5

22. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

The vocal is great in this one. Really lifts up the song. I love that wail at the end.

I still can never get used to see Boz just strumming along on an acoustic when he was such a great lead guitarist with the Polecats.

3.5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  23. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

You nailed it. The lightness and playfulness has largely been missing for the last 10 years, although "Lover To Be" and "I Thought You Were Dead" from this year have some of it and hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  24. Orson Swells

I do like both those songs - particularly I Thought You Were Dead. I wonder if Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? will continue in this direction. From the title it sounds like a Phil Spector girl band ballad...

Pop_Zeus, The MEZ and Spazaru like this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

In the Future - another huge favorite of mine. Very strong 5 of 5

Love moz’s singing going all over the place and again hitting his sweet spot, and again making a crooning song that rocks out.

Something must have gone (pause) right!