The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

This always strikes me as a self-conscious attempt to write a kind of Morrissey meets Radiohead song. An epic experimental dirge that happens to be one of the clear highlights of the album. Excellent music and some great lyrics: "And you can shoot me and you can throw me off a train..." I almost wish he'd done an entire album in this style. 5/5

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Life Is A Pigsty"

A mighty Moz classic, in his top 10 for me. The sombre first section kicks along nicely, but it's the second section where it becomes epic, gradually building and building to a thunderous conclusion. Morrissey's voice sounds close to cracking in some places as he tackles the higher notes, but it all adds to the intensity of the piece. The problem is that being the centrepiece, it sets a standard that the rest of the album can't live up to. Maybe it should have been the closer? Either way, it's a big 5/5 for "Pigsty".

Pop_Zeus, Gavaxeman, Vauxhall and 4 others like this.
  3. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Right there with "You Know I Couldn't Last" for my favorite bombastic Moz tracks ever. 5/5

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Happy to see the love for Pigsty, as I am indifferent at best about most of this album. 4.5/5

5. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Life Is A Pigsty 5/5 - I remember this one being hyped up prior to the album release as being this masterful epic, which immediately makes you suspicious. The final result didn't end up sounding at all what I suspected, and all the better for it. It's essentially 2 songs without a obvious connecting point between them, yet it works wonderfully

Pop_Zeus, Gavaxeman, Vauxhall and 5 others like this.
  6. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Life Is A Pigsty 5 outta 5 yo

7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

"Life Is A Pigsty" 3/5

inglorious and The MEZ like this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

"Life Is A Pigsty"
    This one hooks you when you see it live.
    4.0/5.0

Spazaru and The MEZ like this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Pigsty is the last truly amazing Morrissey track in my opinion : an absolute, stone cold 5/5 and in his top five songs ever. Also, stunning live.

10. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Life Is A Pigsty
    Kudos for trying something completely different. Love the first half but the second half leaves me a bit cold. I can see the Radiohead comparison, maybe thats why.
    The first half seems a bit trip hop which is why I like it more, I think.
    Not sure about being one of his best, though.
    3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Pigsty
    I love the first half. A super high 5. The second half isn’t bad but I get tired of that stupid cannon bass drum and it goes on a bit too long. That half definitely worked better live.

So I’ll average it out to a 4 out of 5. Ambitious, excellent first half groove, Second half doesn’t fare as well for me

Pop_Zeus, mooseman and The MEZ like this.
  12. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Life is a ..

Absolute belter of a song , brilliant live , and that second half ..wow, easy 5/5

13. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

A stunning masterpiece. Everything about this track falls perfectly into place. Morrissey's voice, the thunderstorm in the background, the hectic drumming and the fantastic guitar work. It's songs such as this, that prove Alain was Moz's best co-writer. 5/5 for "Life is a Pigsty."

14. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Pigsty 5/5. The Radiohead influence was a good catch. Still, can’t fault it if it works.

Pop_Zeus, Vauxhall and ARL like this.
  15. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Life is a Pigsty:

1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-4
    5-9

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    The MEZ likes this.
  16. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is I’ll Never Be Anybody’s Hero Now:

One of the lesser songs on the album and the music is rather sedate and uninspired.

It is also fairly thin lyrically and it is only Morrissey’s vocal melody that elevates it somewhat (as I’m sure that I’ve said many times before).

3/5.

17. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"I’ll Never Be Anybody’s Hero Now"

It was a thankless task for whichever track had to follow in Pigsty's wake, so I suppose it made sense to throw one of the lesser tracks under the bus for this task. It's not bad, but it has the distinct whiff of "b-side" about it. Moreover, it's overshadowed by a better version of itself two tracks later, which is the one that usually comes to mind when I'm trying to remember how this one goes. The dubby middle section is quite nice, and there are some good lines in it, but 2.5/5 is the best I can stretch to.

The MEZ likes this.
  18. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

I’ll Never Be Anybody’s Hero Now
    A bit of a meandering track. The short instrumental break is a nice touch, but for once, I’m not a big fan of the vocals. Quite ordinary, all round.
    2.5/5

The MEZ likes this.
  19. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Well, I have a feeling I'll be alone on this... but this is actually my favourite track on the album! Surely this is his take on a Big O ballad? It's very Orbison-esque. Great vocal, great lyrics. A typical Morrissey subversion of a tired pop cliche ("I can be your hero, baby"!) and the kind of effortless mid-tempo ballad he has made his own in his solo career. The big falsetto ending is fantastic too. Yes, it is strangely sequenced after Pigsty when a more uptempo song would have made greater sense - so I think this probably diminishes its impact. Anyway, it won't be for those who don't like his crooners. But I love it - so a controversial 5/5.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  20. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Can’t really fault the sentiment. 3.5

The MEZ likes this.
  21. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I’ll never be..

Again a song that’s not made much of an impression, that’s lesser tracks really show issues with the rather flat production, 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  22. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Sammy Davis Jr would have KILLED this song. And Moz does too! 4.5/5

23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

"I’ll Never Be Anybody’s Hero Now" - 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  24. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

"I’ll Never Be Anybody’s Hero Now"

3.0/5.0

The MEZ likes this.
  25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Never Be Anybodys Hero - its all right, works in the flow of the album, but not a favorite. His vocal isn't as strong as elsewhere for me.

3 of 5

The MEZ likes this.