The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

A Song From Under The Floorboards
    Decent enough version but not as good as the original. Vocals are once again superb and the music is okay but no more than that. Guitar and drums are quite strong.
    3/5

Pop_Zeus, Spazaru and The MEZ like this.
  2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

A Song From Under the Floorboards - 4/5
    Excellent cover..one of my faves from the b sides.

3. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Floorboards 3.75

4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Bit behind ..

Ganglord, really should have been on the album, superb live too , gotta be a 5/5 ..one of his best b sides

Floorboard...love the original, and this is a decent cover, so a 4/5 for bringing the mighty Magazine for more people’s attention .

5. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"A Song From Under The Floorboards"

I heard Magazine played on late night radio a few times in the late 70s - the original of this would undoubtedly have been one of those. I knew nothing of their history and legend, and to be honest I can't remember ever liking any of their tracks that I heard! I'm sure they are one of those bands I should like, but given my antipathy at the time, I've never felt inclined to go back and investigate. Anyway, as a Moz b-side it's OK enough, but I'm never going to have as much love for it as I would for an original. 2.5/5.

Orson Swells, Vauxhall and The MEZ like this.
  6. John54

John54 Senior Member

Never heard either cover or original of A Song From Under the Floorboards before, but Morrissey gets 4/5

The MEZ likes this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Here's the original. I couldnt ever get into the other stuff by them, but this is a killer song.

mooseman likes this.
  8. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's pretty good too. I already listened to Magazine's song but it turned out to be a live version. It was alright.

9. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

Usually the songs Morrissey covers are amplified by his voice (Redondo Beach, That's Entertainment) but his vocals on this track are incredibly lackadaisical. The music's solid, but overall this is one of his most forgettable covers thus far. A low 3/5 for "A Song from Under the Floorboards."

Orson Swells, ARL and The MEZ like this.
  10. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

If You Don’t Like Me 4/5. This rocks live and the psychedelic animated video is cool.
    Ganglord 4/5. Good song but i can see why it was left off the album. Seeing Morrissey dance with Jesse in the video is surely worth another star or two.
    Floorboards 4/5. Never heard this or the original but both are really cool.

The MEZ likes this.
  11. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for A Song From Under the Floorboards:

1-0
    2-2
    3-4
    4-6
    5-0

The MEZ likes this.
  12. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Christian Dior:

Another high quality b-side and Boz would have been entitled to feel aggrieved that it didn’t make the album proper.

Having said that, I still think Morrissey’s contribution is the best thing about it. It features some lyrical ideas that few other people would come up with, another fine vocal and the “You could have run wild…” section is particularly strong.

The autobiographical element was also a smart inclusion.

I prefer this to several of the album tracks and a low 4/5.

Pop_Zeus, guidedbyvoices, ARL and 3 others like this.
  13. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Christian Dior

one of my very favourite Morrissey solo b-sides; uniquely him in every way.

I love how he compares himself to Dior, claiming that they wasted their lives being successful in their respective fields when they could’ve been satisfying their most base desires instead.

Excellent stuff. & what a fantastic chorus:

You could have run wild
    On the backstreets of Lyon or Marseille
    Reckless and legless and stoned
    Impregnating women
    Or kissing mad street boys from Napoli
    Who couldn't even write their own name

I can see why it didn’t make the album - it has a different tone & feel to it - & I’m glad it was saved as a late gem of a b-side.

4.5/5

And a brief catch up:

I Knew I Was Next: decent, catchy song; I like playing it on the guitar: 4/5

If You Don’t Like Me... 3.5

Ganglord: superior, muscular b-side. Again, it could have fit on the album but I’m glad it became a b-side treat. 4.5/5

Vauxhall, ARL, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  14. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

Christian Dior
    Great lyrics and vocals and swirly tune from Boz makes this another superior b side from these sessions. Lyrics are quite Jacques Brel-like and tune could be from the Vauxhall era.
    The plethora of good b sides from the last three LPs are quite a strange thing, really. I know that often they are from later sessions but it always made the third or fourth single release quite exciting. I’m feeling almost nostalgic for the days of singles... though to be fair recently Morrissey has started releasing them again, usually on vinyl..
    3.5/5

Pop_Zeus, ARL, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  15. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Christian Dior..

Another quality flip side, definitely better than a few of the album tracks imo..3/5

Pop_Zeus, The MEZ, ARL and 2 others like this.
  16. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Yes, another great little b-side - yet like Ganglord I do wonder if it didn't quite fit the timbre of the album. It's interesting to hear him compare himself to Christian Dior given the latter's lifestyle. So not so much a character piece then as some typical late Morrissey introspection. I haven't heard it for a while and it's rather more impressive than I remember. I'll stretch to a 4.5/5.

Pop_Zeus, Vauxhall, ARL and 3 others like this.
  17. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Christian Dior 4.5 yo

Vauxhall, ARL, inglorious and 2 others like this.
  18. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Christian Dior - 3/5

inglorious and The MEZ like this.
  19. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

3/5 - Christian Dior. For some reason I just can't get too excited about this one. It's fine, but not one of his b-sides that I ever reach for.

mooseman and The MEZ like this.
  20. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Christian Dior"

Another one that I'm very impressed with on first listen. Great melody that becomes more alluring as it plays. Musically and lyrically rich. Thought it was going to outstay its welcome going by the length of that video, but thankfully not! Perhaps a purchase of Swords might be on the horizon in the near future? 4/5.

Pop_Zeus, Vauxhall, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  21. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Swords is a great mopping up of b-sides from Quarry through your Refusal; a lot of worthwhile material.

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Christian Dior
    4 of 5. Definitely a strong b side and would've been a quality album cut.

23. Vauxhall

Vauxhall Forum Resident

A lush, beautiful tune and unlike yesterday's track, it's accompanied by a very impassioned vocal by Moz. It's crazy to think this is the only song by Boz from the Ringleader sessions, but it's certainly a case of quality over quantity. A solid 4.5/5 for "Christian Dior."

Pop_Zeus, The MEZ, Spazaru and 2 others like this.
  24. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

I really love "Christian Dior"
    This song made me want to go buy a Dior suit.
    Then I saw that they were $4,000 and I wished Morrissey had instead made a song about Hugo Boss.

Spazaru, Snoddywilko and ARL like this.
  25. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Not really feeling it. A low 3/5.

mooseman likes this.