The Smiths/Morrissey - song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Absolutely agree.

As for Reel Around The Fountain the definitive version is the one on Hatful of Hollow The Smiths. :whistle:

blaken123, dlemaudit and Luisboa like this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

strangely out of place when we're still discussing The Smiths debut. Interesting period for Moz. Sort of the calm before the storm. The storm that was "Your Arsenal"... which was my fave solo period.

vette442 likes this.
  3. StevenC

I need the twinkly Hammond organ to make this song ("Reel Around The Fountain") feel whole. Now "Still Ill", I prefer the 'Hatful of Hollow' version... but not "Reel Around the Fountain"...

The MEZ likes this.
  4. Hollow Horse

I love a good organ myself but on Still Ill it seems unnecessary and a fish out of water - what were they thinking!

But you know...

I am way too harsh on this. It's dark and foreboding by comparison. Totally brilliant work, however, once I have heard something the first time, it is nigh-on impossible that I will ever change,

5. StevenC

For some reason, it always bothered me that they always got the lyric wrong in "Jeane" when artists covered it (Billy Bragg, Sandie Shaw) and I think it was printed incorrectly in the guitar tab music book...
    Morrissey does not sing "you still have that greedy grace, as you tidy the place"
    He instead sings "...you still hold up really great, as you tidy the place."
    I don't care what it says in print and no matter what we've thought it was for 35 years, he says "you still hold up really great..."

6. Hollow Horse

I always heard it as "greedy grace" and poetically speaking, great would not rhyme so well with place, would it?

I think you are correct though, it certainly sounds like "hold up really great" although it is somewhat muffled.

The Passions Just Like Mine blog questions it as 'ready grace'... :shh:

Jeane - lyrics

And Genius, who IMO are pretty decent on lyrics have "ridding",,, :laugh:

The Smiths – Jeane Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Catching up...I am all over this thread. Thank you, Turk Thrust!

Reel Around the Founatin -- it's a grower, but it really grows. I'll give it a 5. It's come to be one of my favorite Smiths songs.

You've Got Everything Now -- 3.5/5. I love how the first album sounds like studio demos rather than a properly "produced" album like The Queen Is Dead. This song feels like nothing particularly special, but I like it's punky energy and I find the lyric mildly amusing. When it breaks out into the chorus with the organ, it really comes alive.

8. Hollow Horse

9. StevenC

Well, as far as rhyming great and place, Morrissey is a storyteller first and a rhymer second. Though the brilliance of a man once capable of rhyming “your mild best wishes make me suspicious”..

But you know, the context is too perfect to suggest “you still hold up really great..” meaning, you can still try your best and put on a good face when there is ice on the sink and the cupboards are bare... I can’t get to a place in his storytelling where the lyric “greedy grace” makes sense, you know? What does greedy grace mean? Is it a chiefly British expression?

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  10. Hollow Horse

Nobody picked me up on this one so let me berate myself!

That line is from I Don't Owe You Anything. :doh:

Johnny66 and Gavaxeman like this.
  11. Hollow Horse

Totally with you. And as I have already made a lyrical faux pas can I hazard at a guess that “your mild best wishes make me suspicious” comes from The More Yiu Ignore Me? I don't want to Goigle and cheat you see, I am happy to be wrong.

12. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

That's from "I Don't Mind If You Forget Me"!

I'm liking this thread - it made me sit down and listen to three versions of early Smiths tracks last night, and that can't be a bad thing.

13. Hollow Horse

Rejection is one thing but rejection from a fool is cruel!

(At least I'll have got one thing right this morning).

Thank you!

ARL likes this.
  14. StevenC

Your Mild best wishes make me suspicious is from “I don’t mind if you forget me” - a fave on Viva Hate...

15. Hollow Horse

Viva Hate is still my fave Mozza album. Okay, time for that bath - apologies to OP @Turk Thrust for all these digressions, I believe we are discussing YOU'VE GOT EVERYTHING NOW!

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

It would be interesting some day to hear the original demo of You've Got Everything Now which according to Simon Goddard clocked in at 6 minutes and featured extra lyrics...

The MEZ, Lance LaSalle and Pop_Zeus like this.
  17. Hollow Horse

18. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Could try this one;

Thanks to the uploader - MrSmithsDisco

19. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I noticed but was too polite to point it out :magoo:

The Sandie Shaw version of I Don’t Owe You Anything is a work of beauty

mooseman and Hollow Horse like this.
  20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

My introduction to the Smiths was This Charming Man followed by the Hollow CD. Didn't hear the debut until years later.

Enjoying this thread. Thank you for starting it.

The MEZ and Turk Thrust like this.
  21. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

I was more familiar with the debut album than Hatful, which my sister got a copy of. Wouldn't be without Hatful, but the debut album is pretty special. Wouldn't change a thing on it. I got the first Japanese CD last year, which is a bit lighter on the drums, but I'd say the mastering overall has a particular quality that is unique to that label. I have several titles released around the same time by Japanese artists on the same label, plus the debut by Aztec Camera and the Requiem for Rough Trade comp, and all have the same, light, feel. It sounds good if you turn it up but compared to some other masterings at first seems a bit weedy.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I have the Japanese issue,of the S/T on c.d....does you're version have related singles tacked on?! Mine has the extras.

23. Turk Thrust

The ratings for You've Got Everything Now are:

1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-3
    5-0

The MEZ and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. Turk Thrust

Today we will focus on Miserable Lie.

I can again only rate this a steady 3/5.

Morrissey and Marr probably hoped that this could be an epic masterpiece on their debut album, but unfortunately all 3 versions fall short of that. Johnny has said that he blames the guitar for not having a powerful enough sound and, while that's probably partly true, the band were still very inexperienced and Morrissey was still learning to sing. He would go on to record much more impressive falsetto vocals (eg. Art-Hounds), but here...well, it was a plucky attempt I guess. :)

The album version is probably the weakest of the three with Morrissey being particularly critical of it in his book, "Our live firebrand is choked to death and boxed in, when it had always been up to this point detonated as a step-by-step incline crowned by a yowling falsetto...". Both the Troy Tate production and the Peel Session are superior have a lot more energy, even if Mike never seems entirely in control of his drumming.

This song clearly had potential though and it would be cool to see Morrissey attempt it in concert (I fully expect this never to happen! :)).

The MEZ likes this.
  25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Miserable Lie" is one of my least-liked Smiths songs. Doesn't have much of a tune and Morrissey's falsetto is painful! I think it's a pity that this made the cut for the album when there were better songs like "Accept Yourself" and "These Things Take Time" which were relegated to b-sides.

Having said that, on the album version, the fast section has some nice country-esque licks from Johnny which foreshadow some of his later works. But it just lacks the energy and feel of a full band performance and comes across stilted. The Troy Tate version is much better in that respect, but it doesn't make me like the song any more. Can't give this one any more than 2/5, sadly.

kannibal and The MEZ like this.