The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead Super Deluxe Edition 3CD+DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBR, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I'm going to wait and see if Morrissey gives me permission to buy this before I get too excited.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Of these 9 tracks, I show these had already leaked and been floating around for a while. I love the sound of the drums on these

Queen is Dead full length
    Never had no one demo
    Bigmouth demo
    There is a light (early take)

Frankly Mr Shankly leaked but as a trumpet version. Probably different than the demo.

I know it's over, cemetery gates, some girls would be new.

It would be nice to get the rubber ring from RSD single or the alternate demo that leaked years ago. And I'll gladly buy this and any other smiths deluxe sets with alternates and outtakes.

pobbard likes this.
  3. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I'm in. At least it gives us another version to talk about.:laugh:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I guess ever since 2CDs = Deluxe.

SJP likes this.
  5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Yes..Craig is standing to the right of Morrissey. The Complete live Rank show on double vinyl would be a nice release. All the tracks are out there.

Echo likes this.
  6. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

I should be more excited about this, but I'm not. I preordered the CD/DVD, but I doubt it'll replace my original vinyl. What I'm really buying it for, I suppose, is the DVD. If it's great quality, despite not being a blu-ray (no excuse anymore), then it's a must have.

7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I guess if I watched that clip I'd have seen it!

Complete Rank would be low on my list of wants. Like you said those other songs are out there, and not really essential.

I'd love a reissue campaign like this

Debut / Tate versions
    Meat / outtakes and b sides
    Strange ways / outtakes and b sides

Oxford 85 on vinyl
    Hatful / outtakes and additional BBC
    World won't listen / outtakes and addl b sides
    Rarities - BBC and b side mop up

8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I guess I see 2 CD's as "expanded" and a package like this as perhaps "deluxe". I'd think super deluxe should be reserved for those more exhaustive (or exhausting?) sets with 3 or more CD's plus any combination of additional DVD/Blu-Ray and/or vinyl.

tmtomh likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

I was pointing to Deluxe Edition 2CD sets, like these:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

You could do a lot more with the Smiths live recordings than just reissuing the BBC recordings. Their sound guy Grant Showbiz supposedly has soundboard recordings from all the concerts he worked with them on.

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I get that but adding a lousy DVD doesn't make for a super deluxe in my book.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This could be very good. I'm a little skeptical, but I'm leaning towards a purchase.

hutlock likes this.
  13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It will be the slightly different mix issued on the RSD single this year. Interesting to see that the b-side of that single, the alternate 'Rubber Ring' didn't make it to this set.

Also, if people aren't aware, the title track has also just been released as a 12" single. The b-sides are the instrumental tracks from singles of the period (the 7" has 'I Keep Mine Hidden', I think), and the a-side is the 'rare' - but pretty worthless - edit that appeared on a 90s reissue single. I think it just cuts off the 'Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty' intro.

14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

He also put together a pretty cool souvenir of a tour from 1984 with live performances, backstage stuff and other bits that he give to the band. It was streamed one time in the early 200s on a website and captured at a very low rez quality. Would love a good quality copy of it.

ScienceFriction likes this.
  15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

So, no vinyl then? That would be kind of odd.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

At the very least, this desperately needs to happen.

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well as long as that DVD has at least something we haven't seen before, I'm in. Otherwise I'll save the money and just get the 2cd for the demo material. But a must purchase one way or the other. Fingers crossed on the new mastering...

18. m300

m300 Forum Resident

So, you don't know what else they could have done, but somehow it deserves better? Like what exactly?

bobcat likes this.
  19. tomd

tomd Senior Member

There should be at least a 24/96 stereo Blu Ray Audio disc.Huge
    Wasted opportunity IMHO.

qtrules likes this.
  20. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Maybe morrissey is getting ready to push his new album out soon (it's done and recorded apparently) and he's using this to put himself out there after the relative failure of "World Peace Is None Of Your Business".

21. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Wasn't a reissue of World Peace... promoted at one time, with new artwork and (I think) an altered tracklist?

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, Morrissey is getting his name out there, but once again for all the wrong reasons...

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Would be awesome. At the moment they are scattered across the discography. I'm sure a few were missing from The "Complete" Smiths collection

24. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

25. George P

George P Notable Member

lpfreak1170 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.