The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead Super Deluxe Edition 3CD+DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBR, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi

obi Forum Resident

I don't think so. More likely is:
    The main album on the single LP and the demos and live album in each their 2LP gatefold.

BawBag likes this.
  2. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Robert C likes this.
  3. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

The August 28, 1986 show from Irvine, CA circulates in excellent sound. It's been widely bootlegged, so I'm glad they didn't include that show as the live disc.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Amazon U.K. This morning. The description has been changed since then.

5. 007james

007james Forum Resident

6. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Get the two disc version. It's brick walled, but the track list is really hard to beat. A fabulous introduction to the band. I also agree that if you like that one, just get the complete set after that because you'll wind up getting everything anyways.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Louder Than Bombs would be a great introduction to The Smiths.

My first Smiths albums were cassettes of Hatful Of Hollow and Strangeways Here We Come that belonged to my girlfriend at the time. From there I was almost obsessed to the point where they temporarily almost overtook The Beatles as my favorite band

tedg65, DLeet, pobbard and 2 others like this.
  8. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Right, so it's a soundboard of the Mansfield show according to the SDE site. Where did you get the information that it's the Irvine Meadows show?

9. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the vinyl set yesterday from Amazon UK for £58 and I notice this morning it has already risen to £69.99. guess the price will fluctuate a bit more, but I'm glad I didn't sleep on this one

10. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Off another forum I think, but someone must have assumed it would be that one. If SDE is saying it is the Mansfield show, it will almost certainly be so. The information there tends to always be correct.

bobbydriver likes this.
  11. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Me too! Just because I ordered this to my office in Singapore, the price was only £48.13 + £3.58 postage (no VAT :cool:).

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I ordered as soon as I saw the price of £58 as I had assumed that was a mis-price as it's very cheap for five albums.

garrincha likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Absolutely!

14. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

maybe they were cack performances? I'd rather have the premium range...

15. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Maybe they were bad performances and/or they wanted to maximise the difference in setlist between this and Rank (as the 2 shows were barely a few months apart)?

3 of the 6 cut songs appear on Rank. The resulting set of 13 songs only duplicates 5 tracks from Rank

Also 4 of the 6 songs that they cut from Rank now appear on this new release

All conjecture of course

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yes, this! It was my intro to The Smiths, and remains my favorite collection of Smiths songs.

George P likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Moz cut arguably the two greatest Smiths song off the only official live album - unforgivable!

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Which two songs?

19. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

18. Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now
    19. Bigmouth Strikes Again

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

There Is A Light and How Soon Is Now is not on Rank, perhaps both are played on the show.

George P likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

These two I was referring to.

George P likes this.
  22. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Sorry, I missed your mention of "official." :hide:

However, it is unforgivable they cut the two I quoted off the new release.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

There is an opportunity for Rank to be forgiven with a 2cd/DVD of the entire show in a future deluxe edition! :D

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Cut for playing time of the vinyl but both were broadcast on the BBC at the time, so I don't think it was personal.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'm speculating, but my guess as to the reason only 13 of the live songs are here is because to include all 19 would've required a 6th LP for the vinyl version. The Led Zeppelin reissue campaign suffered from this in some places too - underfilled CDs because they had to content with the time limits of LP sides.

As for this release in general, the pricing generally seems fine (and any high prices might come down at Amazon et al as the ship date approaches). The real question for me is the sonics: The 2011 remasters generally have excellent clarity and very good to excellent frequency balance. I imagine the 2017s will have that too. The only question is whether, as others have discussed above, Marr and the engineer will ride the limiter less, enabling more dynamic range. I don't need the DR13-15 dynamics of the 1980s to be happy; but for this to be worth it for me, they've got to improve noticeably on the dynamics of the 2011s.

As for the track selection and packaging, Marr did say around 2011 that he wanted to do a rarities/b-sides companion package to the Complete box, but legal/record company issues prevented him from doing so. If I had to guess, I'd say the b-sides disc, and possibly the new live material, represents the alt. material Marr wanted to release for Queen Is Dead, but filtered through the record company's requirement for how it be packaged and released.

For that reason, I am guessing that if this upcoming set sells well, we might see similar reissues for other Smiths albums. I would guess the debut would be the next likely candidate, owing to the Tate material (and I would guess some additional Hacienda '83 live stuff) as the natural companion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.