The Soft Machine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

Psych-freaks, lend me your atoms...
    Which are the best versions (cd and lp) of the first four Softs records. (let's stop after Wyatt is kicked out).

eg. how does the VOL 1 and 2 cd on Big Beat compare to the One-Way?
    etc...

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

IIRC, they're pretty much exactly the same, and as the Big Beat version is in print (and, err, is two albums on one CD) I'd go with that unless you ABSOLUTELY NEED THE ORIGINAL ARTWORK.

Keep in mind that Vol. 2 is a murky sounding piece of work any way you slice it, so be prepared for the MASSIVE change in sound quality between Vols 1 and 2.

Regarding 3rd...the Columbia CD (the only thing availible) isn't bad, but is nothing special. I don't own 4. Going back to three, though, I've always wondered why *those* performances happened to show up on the CD. FWIW, I think the 3 version of Moon in June is by far the worst version I've heard, and there're countless many out there (my favorite is the "joke lyrics" version from the Peel sessions, which is both hilarious AND musically fascinating).

So yep. Big Beat for 1/2, and Columbia for 3rd (you have no choice). I know there's a 4/5 compilation out there...it's probably a good bargain. And for the PRE Album 1 material, sadly, there's no official place currently to find Feelin'/Love Makes Sweet Music. As for the Giorgio demos, I have no idea how different issues compare in sound quality, only that Jet Propelled Photographs seems to be the most "famous" CD release, and the Dressed To Kill disc (while mercenary in appearence) sounds just fine.

-D

303 Squadron likes this.
  3. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Dave.

Where are the other "countless" versions of MIJ?

I'm aware of the two above and the That's how much I need you/You don't remember combo in the Gomelsky recordings.

I don't believe I understand: you mean they should have used different versions in the CD release of 3?

Years ago, I had the chance to exchange mail about the recording of 5 with the engineer in an Internet mailing list (Wordplay, of all things). He mentioned taking a lot of time to get the right sound for the water drop. IIRC, they used a bucket and a stair.

And no, he hadn't any outtakes of SM nor ELP, another of the artists he recorded at Advision. I asked.

His name is Gary Martin. Appears as "Garry" in 5.

Thanks in advance.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Big Beat/ Ace are the same label. I have yet to be disappointed in anything they out. Always top quality and I have many of their releases and they always blow away the US counterpart! An amazing company. Can't say enough! I Can't say the same for One-Way. I have all the Big Beat Chocolate Watch, Standells, all their garage music releases, etc. Can't go wrong with them either!

5. Vivaldinization

In retrospect, I'm a bit disappointed with their G.S. I Love You Comp, but that's mostly because I wish they *had* mastered it, instead of appropriating the crappy Teichiku sources.

Anyway, back on topic...re. MIJ, there's also the two Backwards versions, and IIRC a few other live versions that show up. All I meant was that I find the "official" 3 version the least impressive of all of these, and very lifeless compared with the Peel sessions one.

-D

6. dachada

dachada Senior Member

The Soft Machine 3 and 4 CDs are available in Japan. The sound should be better. Also try to find their Triple Echo (3Lp)Best of.. with mny unreleased tracks and great book

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

I wanted to know because I have gone through all the pressings and wondered, what is THE ONE!
    I get the impression that Big Beat is alright. That's good to know. Their music has always affected me uniquely and I love Wyatt's vocals. Some of the best I have ever heard.
    I believe the album "Triple Echo" has the early singles, but that is only on vinyl. Got it. What else is cool from this period?

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

IMO the Big Beat version of 1/2 is superior to the One Way. I believe the One Way was taken from vinyl sources. As far as Third goes I have the Columbia CD which is totally mediocre, I've never seen the Japanese version. Unfornutely it sounds about the same as the US vinyl version. By far the best sounding version of this album is the UK CBS orange label LP version. As far as 4,5,6,7 the Japan CD's are far superior to the One Way's.
    I also agree that the peel version of MIJ is a great alternate. It can be found on the Stange Fruit version of the Peel Sessions inaddition to the Echo box set. I guess unlike many others I was never a big fan of the Kevin Ayres version of the band. IMO they hit their peak on 3rd, although I like 5 and especially the live side of 6 a lot.

9. Vivaldinization

I doubt the sound on the Soft Machine 3 Japanese CD would be better...in my experience, "old Columbia" versions of discs stay the same accross that particular divide.

Anyway, Triple Echo apparently has one demo track (She's Gone?) that doesn't show up in the same version on CD. I think.

-D

10. dachada

dachada Senior Member

The catalog# of the SM 3 japanese cd is ESCA5535. Issued in DEC 1992.

Triple echo tracks:
    Record 1: Love makes sweet music(mono single a side), Feelin'reelin'squeelin'(mono single b side), Memories(mono demo), She's gone (mono demo), Why am I so Short?, So Boot if at All, A certain Kind, We did it Again, Plus belle qu'une poubelle, why are we sleeping?, A concise British Alphabet-Part2, Hullo der, Dada was here, Thank you Pierrot Lunaire, Have you ever bean grean?, Pataphysical introductio-Part2, As long as he lies perfectly still, Dedicated to you but you weren't listening.

Record 2: Moon in June(BBC live69 mono), Esther's Nose Job (BBC live69 mono), Mouse Trap/Noisette/Backwards/Mousetrap reprise(BBC live69 mono), Slightly all the Time/Out Bloody Rageous/Eamonn Andrews (BBC live70 mono)

Record 3: Teeth, Kings and Queens, All white, Bone, Stanley Stamps Gibbon album, Carol Ann, Hazard Profile-Part 1, The Tale of the Taliesin.

11. Robb

Robb Forum Resident

Does anyone have Soft Machine 3 on British CD? I have heard it smokes the American version of the vinyl or CD, but it's almost impossible to get in the US. I've been trying to pick it up for several years.

I love the Big Beat version of Soft Machine vol. 1 and 2. Their first album sounds amazing to me, in your face brusque but not fatiguing. It's not disappointing, and Big Beat can't help it, but the worst thing about this compilation is the head spinning transition from the first album to the second. Production values take a 180 degree turn. I can't listen to them in succession, I have to hear one or the other. Album One sounds like it was recorded in a small room, album Two in a concert hall.

12. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Thanks David.

What/where are the "Backwards" versions?

I'd say that MIJ is an acquired taste. Were it not a full side, I'd use it to freak my less-enlightened friends up.

Thanks in advance.

13. Vivaldinization

There're two Backwards versions...a live performance and Wyatt's original demo. Both *still* don't shape up to the Peel version (frankly, the first part of which is one of the most enjoyable things in their entire catelogue...hardly inaccessable!)

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.