The Sophistication of the inexpensive VM540ML

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Not sure about Denmark labor.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That is your opinion and not the opinion of thousands of other users who purchased on the several different makes if the 440ML.

VinylSoul and 389 Tripower like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But you just don’t know for sure what their marketing research methods are, no you do not.

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I know Audio-Technica is a large company with a long and prosperous history. Their market research has to be more sophisticated than monitoring the whims of internet forum posters.

Heckto35, Jbird, Spin Doctor and 2 others like this.
  5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I think it would be naive to think they don't research perceptions about the company, their products, and pricing, from time to time.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find an Audio Technica employee on these forums.

Heckto35, VinylSoul and bever70 like this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Of course they do. What I’m saying is they are not raising prices just because people comment on their cartridges being a good deal. Market forces are more complex than what a subset of the customer base posts on forums. I think it’s overly simplistic to blame forum posters for Audio-Technica setting the pricing for a newer cartridge line higher than the pricing for the previous cartridge line.

Heckto35 and patient_ot like this.
  7. Phil Thien

Agreed, lots of factors involved.

Heckto35 and Big Blue like this.
  8. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Alright. Back to the cartridge.

has anyone set up one of these on a more entry level table like a Pro-Ject? Did it respond well, or was setup too tricky to benefit from the ml?

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Umm, no. Again you have no idea what I am speaking of. It was not a new line of carts or styli. It was simply a huge hike in the price of the same thing.

10. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

you should really take your theory to the Music Matters thread.

Heckto35 and smctigue like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

OK, I didn’t realize your comment was only pertaining to the 440ML, since this thread is about the 540ML (on which the price has not increased, to my knowledge). I still seriously doubt the price increase of the 440ML was directly and exclusively in response to people commenting on how good a value it was. It seems far more likely their costs increased, or they found they had under-priced it initially (in terms of bottom line profitability, not in terms of what a minority of customers posted on forums about the value).

But you’re right, I don’t know. It just seems highly unlikely.

Heckto35 and macster like this.
  12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm running the 540 on my 1200gr TT and it sounds fantastic. I do run the VTF a little heavier around 2.1. I think the sound is a little more full. I was thinking of upgrading to the ART9, however, I'm afraid I might be disappointed if I do not hear a large improvement.

Heckto35 likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thank you! I actually posted a legitimate question hoping for some feedback and it seems no one really cares lol. Except for the one person that replied to me, thank you!

Here's hoping you get some feedback on your question.

ubiknik likes this.
  14. struttincool

Rega P2 + VM540ML works great for me. I adjust tracking force and tracking angle (with shim, mats or nothing) and anti skate (did a simple hack to allow adjusting). Pretty basic and VM540ML performs just fine.

What adjustable features does your tt have?

Heckto35 and patient_ot like this.
  15. jss5152

jss5152 Forum Resident

Currently using one on a Debut Carbon DC with acrylic platter. Blows the 2M Red out of the water in every facet. I was frustrated with IGD with the 2M. I hear zero distortion with the AT cart. I had it installed by my dealer, World Wide Stereo in Southeastern PA.

16. Phil Thien

As long as the cartridge you're replacing is the same height as the 540ML, you should be fine. If not, some way to adjust VTA is needed. Super precise VTA isn't as critical as some would have you believe.

Heckto35 and Big Blue like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Even with the ability to fine-tune VTA, I find there is a range that “works” with my ML. Precision is best, but I would not think it’s too tricky to be worth trying. You can probably get it close with shims and/or thicker/thinner mats, if needed.

Heckto35 likes this.
  18. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I have one of the Rm1.3’s which you can adjust the vta. So I think I’ll give it a go. I was leaning toward the nagaoka mp200, but I think I’ll give this a shot.

Big Blue likes this.
  19. struttincool

how about capacitance amount and arm compatibility? Both are discussed here or elsewhere.

20. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I rewired the tonearm with cardas wire, .5 meter of DH Labs Air Matrix into a MS Nova II. 200pf of capacitance is the lowest I can set it for. My main concern.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've made my point now thank you. But no I would not and should never move my Audio Technica hardware / equipment comments to a discussion on music artists, albums, songs, and new releases. Very poor suggestion and reply.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Capacitance would be the main concern. Is 200pF the setting on the Nova II itself, so you have to account for cable on top of 200pF?

23. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

200pf is the setting. So around another 50pf

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Could certainly be a problem, with the recommended range being 100-200pF.

25. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I have the 150MLX on both the original 150 cart and one on a older p mount 152 cart. Its a step up vs the 540 or 440. I hated the 440's stylus. The cantilever was too flimsy. The high end was too forward for my ears. The 540 isn't bad, it needs some fine tuning. It's not a bad sounding cart for the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.