The Soul Revival: Daptone, Colemine, Big Crown, et al*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andres lira, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Hitting the Colemine triple bill in Spokane on Sunday - GA-20, Nicky Egan and Monophonics - can't wait.

The other neo-soul album I'm just loving these days is the Thee Sacred Souls on Penrose/Daptone - top notch - just beautiful.

Spazros and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Ok - so I misremembered and it was Kendra Morris rather than Nicky Egan.

If this tour is coming to your town, GO. I can't believe how empty the Bing was in Spokane for this amazing trio of bands, and I also can't believe how incredible all three were. I'm a fan (hence my presence on this thread), but I had one of those rare moments where witnessing live performance irrevocably has changed the way I hear their studio albums - it was that good. Further thoughts on each:

Kendra Morris - how had I slept on her music and more specifically, her most recent album Nine Lives? This woman is an incredible vocal talent. She's backed by a great band (keys, drums, bass, guitars) that have that Daptone sound down to a tee. Her guitarist seems to be the arranger and provides tasteful and groovy accompaniment throughout. Kendra's the real star though. Her vocals are straight-up powerhouse soul. An Otis Redding cover (Pain in my Heart) is a brave move and she nailed it. A particular highlight was Who We Are from her current album. Visually pleasing as well in terms of her 70s Farrah Fawcett aesthetic. Easily could've headlined the show.

GA-20. Blues power trio with two guitarists who fluidly tradeoff playing basslines and ripping lead lines. Their drummer is phenomenal as well. Listening to them on the trip down had us thinking that it was somewhat generic well-played blues that'd be fun to hear live, but inessential. Wrong. These guys are in good time business, and if you don't like to have a good time, well then you probably can't do business with GA-20. They go off. Their vocals are equal parts soulful and gritty blues. The sound is reminiscent of the first couple of Black Keys albums. I say these guys are better though. Great stage presence. Easily could've headlined the show.

Monophonics. They were why we drove down and back the same night from Canada (got home at 3:45am to teach an 8am tort law class). They replicate that psychedelic soul sound of their albums in powerful fashion. Kelly is front and centre with his keyboards. Guitar and bass to his left, trumpet and trombone to his right. Drummer ties it all together. Guitarist has an Ernie Isley tone and can certainly rip fuzzy stratospheric solos like Ernie. Kelly is able to replicate the falsetto of the two most recent albums live while bass and trumpet double up backup vocals. Kelly is a powerful front man - passionate, feeling the music. Encore brought out Kendra and their Merch Booth worker, Alanna Royale for backup vocals on Last One Standing - a fitting closer for a great night of music.

Folks - if you love this label (and hey, if you're reading this thread, you WILL love this label) - go to a show. These are hardworking pros who make incredible music and deliver in spades when performing. They're super nice and accessible too, working their merch booths after their sets, chatting with fans, etc. We left with an armful of records that I'm simply loving. It was one of those concerts that leaves you with an afterglow like a great mushroom trip - you see the world a little bit differently as you integrate something wonderful that shifts your perception. Support these artists (and other similar ones) - we need music like this more than ever: soul music that feeds your soul.

3. DustyRobes

DustyRobes Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I am absolutely feeling this one, soul brothers. Recommended for at least a good stream.

4. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Just sayin'
    [​IMG]
    The Motors – Tenement Steps
    Label: Virgin – VA 13139
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Die-Cut Cover
    Released: 1980
    Genre: Rock
    Style: New Wave, Power Pop, Pop Rock

I came to this thread after I got the email from Lee Fields on his new album and I saw this and couldn't not mention it.

Spazros and Greenalishi like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Heard one of their songs in the background music system at a restaurant, and it's great classic Philly soul sound. Definitely have to explore more.

bliss44 likes this.
  6. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nice way to start the morning with this and some coffee

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

New Jalen Ngonda album coming

8. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Thee Lakesiders-"Can't Fool Me Twice"

DLant and bliss44 like this.
  9. djej

djej Forum Resident

Got mine ordered. Have been waiting for this one. The tracks released so far have been my style.

zither, Twinsfan007, DLant and 2 others like this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Haven't ordered much from daptone in ages, but I pre-ordered the Victor Axelrod thing. The Bob and Gene remixes are two of my staples when I spin 45s, and that kind of retro ska thing would make a fun weekend spin. I played as much as I could find online and it seems like a solid comp.

Also picked up a few more 45s - that new Lee Fields, I like both sides of that one more than anything on Sentimental Fool, which never really hit. And two Thee Sacred Souls singles, they're hit or miss for me, but Love is the Way is my favorite by them. Other wise the LP I'm ok streaming when I'm in the mood.

I was tempted to preorder the Jalen album too, I like the songs they've previewed, but would like to hear the whole thing first. I've grabbed too much where the first song or two hit me, then the rest doesn't and it never gets played.

Finally, this is probably my favorite dap store pickup of the last few years. This song is killer:

Batman21, DLant, Bob J and 1 other person like this.
  12. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

This just came out on Friday and I can't stop playing it. It's so good. HIGHLY recommended for everyone to check out. Saw him open for Thee Sacred Souls earlier this year. Excited to see him again when he swings by next month.

13. djej

djej Forum Resident

I saw him perform an acoustic 25 minute opening set earlier this year as well with Thee Sacred Souls and Say She She. Enjoyed it and don’t know if he will be back to my city. Glad I saw him when I did.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  14. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

Thought there would be some interest in this here, been really digging this the past few days.

If You Ask Me To: Victor Axelrod Productions for Daptone Records

If You Ask Me To: Victor Axelrod Productions for Daptone Records, by Victor Axelrod

[​IMG]

Em. and guidedbyvoices like this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Daptone linked to a great article today, breaking it down song-by-song and gives insight to who plays on it, how the mixes were done, I found it really interesting:
    We asked Victor Axelrod and he answered - Brooklyn Magazine

In typical Daptone fashion, I preordered the vinyl, album was released last week and no sign of a tracking number yet. I like this album a bit, and like the vibe of it, the remix of I Can Be Cool is one of my go-to's when I spin 45s, it really works with that mix.

16. djej

djej Forum Resident