The SOUND of Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I saw it a couple of weeks ago at Arclight Old Town Pasadena. The sound was incredible--perfectly balanced around the room and loud enough to enjoy without cringing. I really dug the soundtrack...or whatever that was LOL.

Old Rusty and Paul Saldana like this.
  2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I saw this a couple of weeks ago at the local IMAX room. The sound was punishingly loud, especially the high frequencies. It might have been acceptable if the theater was full, but there were only about 10 or 12 at this matinee. My ears were ringing afterward, and I feel like they might still be. I never even considered wearing ear protection to a movie, but I bought some plugs the next day and I will make a point of taking them to the next film I go see.

I liked the movie itself very much. But it wasn't worth risking permanent hearing damage. I should have spoken to the manager.

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

When I saw the film the sound mix was fine. I guess it's a theater to theater issue with calibration being key.

4. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

The mix sounded OK to me as far as balance of the elements, dialog and sound effects, was concerned. It was just WAY TOO F'n LOUD for the space, and it seemed like the treble was cranked to ear-bleeding level. I think you're right, it's the theater's issue, not the film per se.

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just saw the film today at the Angelika Film Center in Fairfax, Virginia. The sound was perfectly balanced. 7.1 surround system.

Zep Fan likes this.
  6. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The sound in this trailer is very good.
    After watching BR 2049 several times, this trailer is even more enjoying:

7. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Bit late now, but for the future I'd check out the IMAX with Laser at Navy Pier. There are still only around 14 locations in North America that have been outfit with the new Laser IMAX system, which means they've been upgraded to support the new object-based 12-channel IMAX sound system and dual 4K laser projectors. The levels are constantly monitored by IMAX's main Network Operations Center so you won't get someone locally messing it up.

I always take my custom earplugs to the cinema with -9dB filters.

All IMAX with Laser installations are in the proper large IMAX screens 75' and up, the ones capable of full 1.43:1 aspect ratio that were previously 15/70 film screens.

For movies with scenes shot in full IMAX 1.43:1 AR it's absolutely incredible to see them in Laser IMAX, the most incredible picture quality I've ever seen.

The Revealer and Zep Fan like this.
  8. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I saw the original and was more impressed overall. Music & effects. Although Harrison Ford is in great shape for a guy over 70. Or under 70.

9. Watching the movie at home on UHD BD (European Sony release) on a 7.1 set up (Pioneer SC LX-76 from 2012,also sold in the US with the Elite Badge) and a full set of B&W 600 series from 1997 except for the subwoofer which is a ASW 608 from 2015. Hearing it in English in 7.1 hears nothing like the cinema I watched it dubbed into Spanish. For me this is a demo reference movie audio track, maybe a little less bass on some scenes would have nailed it.

The Revealer likes this.
  10. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Yes, my home sound is a dream and makes up for the overkill I experienced at the theater. The channels are wonderfully discrete and the music really comes through dynamically. I wish I could isolate the musical soundtrack! I look forward to many viewings.

11. Zep Fan

Not to sidetrack this discussion, but the original Blade Runner in 4K is getting great reviews for it's sound also.

12. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Sounds incredible on regular blu ray as well. All the background sounds that are revealed make me feel like I'm living in the movie. I think this, in a way, captures the tone difference of the two films. The first film really pulled me into a world through identification with a main character. The music follows the actions and fleshes out the environments. And the sounds are also textured and involving.

The sequel is a mystery and I'm more at a distance as an observer of a world I know somewhat from exposure to the original film, but which has taken even darker tones. The music is panoramic, rarely reaching for emotional involvement, and when it does, it's by using cues from the original. I feel more carried along by the sounds of BR2049, and that serves the purpose of a different kind of story.

Spirit Crusher and polchik like this.
  13. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Unfortunately your assumption is correct. I was complaining to the manager of my local cinephile theater about the volume of another movie some months back, and he told me he is given standard levels these days for all major releases by the distributors. So in the end it comes down to the theatres having a good enough sound system that is able to cope with extreme frequencies at high volume levels.

BGLeduc likes this.
  14. What I really miss is when actual theatrical mixes ended up on Laser Discs and DVD's. One didn't need THX to "tame" those audio tracks properly in a home enviroment, depending on the movie one could decrease treble,something available on 99% of old and new A/V receivers, and lower dinamic range depending on the dinamics of the movie, also a standard feature on Dolby Digital and available too on 99% of A/V receivers.
    Some "home mixes", a practice that I think started by the mid 2000's, sound subpar, are unworthy of the set ups we have today unless one is using a soundbar. Some Disney mixes on the last releases are absolutely dreadful.

15. captain_hightop

captain_hightop Forum Resident

16. Zep Fan

I will never go to see a movie at an Alamo Drafthouse again.

Stadium theater back in the late 90's... I was already having to put tissue in my ears to adjust for the sound overkill in action movies.

As for BR2049, the most effective big sound use for me, was the scene where K was chasing Luv in the flying cars.

Why I like BR better is that it had action and tension augmented by music.

BR2049 wants to make the musical sound the primary "action" in several parts, and I just think that the main action should be what's going on in the film, over the music that is supposed to then support that... It's hard to put my finger on it, but I know it when I see it, when sound effects are given too much weight depending on the scene.

I watched BR2049 the other night. I'll be watching it again and again, looking for little details in each scene that I missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.