The Sound of Vinyl new Who’s Next Blue Vinyl release.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PB Point, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was hoping this one was going to sound good.

It said Label name = Decca on the website.

Just arrived today, opened it up and immediatley recognized the album inner sleeve.

Yep, the rear is exactly the same as my other version - Polydor/Universal/Track Record.

I feel duped. They need to label these things correctly.

I need to have a word with Don Was and Henry Rollins...This Aggression will not stand, man!

I now have two muddied versions of this album.

Seriously thinking of buying a Schittt Loki just for these problems.

Can someone recommend a good edition of this album?

This is not the pressing you were looking for.

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's the dismal tide. It's not the one thing.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well, there are a few good threads on this out there, but I feel for you too much to not reply.

I have a UK Tracks from 1971. It has the most authority, though the half speed master from a MCA is very strong.

stax o' wax, monte4 and PB Point like this.
  4. TeleCaster

TeleCaster Forum Resident

The SACD of this sounds amazing. Sorry...could resist. ;-)

PB Point likes this.
  5. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident Thread Starter

This could break the camels back and make me want to delve into SACD.

It did make me break out my only surviving Who cassette, Who’s Better, Who’s Best, Best of. .... It’s even better than some of the vinyl tracks.

I think it might be cheaper tracking down old cassettes first...

I dig cassettes! I love seeing levels go into +4 bd. ):

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The SACD sounds great. The CD mastered by Steve sounds great. I also have the half speed mastered MCA. Definitely no need for a reissue :cheers:

7. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Have chased a decent sounding vinyl version too and found it with Classic release. Worth every penny.
    Also have the Jap SACD too by the way

Myke likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I have to agree the Classic Records and the 1995 MCA 180g are very good. I prefer the Classic Records. Chris Bellman cut the Classic Records and Kevin Gray cut the 1995 MCA.

9. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

10. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I own the original (the one to have) UK Track, The original US West Coast Decca, The MCA half-speed, and a regular old MCA late 70's reissue. Played this late 70's MCA the other day in honor of The Who visiting PGH and I thought it sounded real nice - meaning you might look in that direction to find a nice sounding copy that won't break the bank. I also own three different CD versions of this album, but it seems to sound better on vinyl to my ears.

11. Our host and others have mentioned that the UK got a dupe of the master, and the W1/W1 DECCA US used the master tapes.

For my ears, W1/W1 then the Classic for vinyl
    and SHMSACD for digital.

Maybe I’ve never heard a good UK first issue, but for me, I reach for my W1/W1 and “won’t be fooled again!” :)

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm a fan of the US Decca......I have several W1's and W2's. I also own the 200 gram Classic, which I don't think lives up to my best sounding Decca.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

At the very least, side 1 of the UK 1st pressing and the W1 are the same Doug Sax cut. Just look at the dead wax.

Some argue Side 2 of the UK is from a cutting copy of the master (for unknown reasons), but I’ve never been convinced of this personally (nor has it been definitively proven).

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not sure what OP means by "muddy". If this blue vinyl edition is the same Miles Showell cut that was done a few years ago on regular black vinyl it should sound quite good, not "muddy". I have that one and have no problem with the way it sounds.

I also have Steve's CD version and another 80s CD edition mastered by someone else and both of those sound quite good also.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've bought and sold so many different copies of this favorite.

Christmas, 1971 - My grandmother gives me a W1 / W1. How she knew what she had, with a sealed album, I'll never know !

Then there's the The Who - Who's Next , which also sounds great of course.

We also have the The Who - Who's Next , which isn't as ballsy as the other two.

I'll not go into the digital, esp. with the SHM SACD already being endorsed by others. I of course, agree.

I'm down to 7 copies total.

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Sound of vinyl on Trust pilot is very low rating.

17. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

This is the MCA reissue I was talking about in an above post... also the images aren't correct, the 1977 label is the tan/brown MCA label, not the rainbow/blue sky.

The Who - Who's Next

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

According to discogs entries, it’s the same cut as the recent versions by Showell.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right, I saw that. I have the 2015 Showell cut and think it sounds good, so I'm puzzled by OP's response. I wonder if something is up with OP's equipment (maybe too rolled off on the highs) or if it's a bad pressing or something. My version sounds very lively and crystal clear. Many people on here were happy with it also back when it came out a few years ago. The only real criticism I have is that it's not an AAA cut but was done with from a hi-rez transfer, as Showell often does.

20. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

You won't regret that purchase.

21. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The MOV cut of Who's Next is very good, one of my favorite listening copies. They even did the limited blue vinyl pressing. If you have to have a colored version, the only good one I know of is the MOV. Obviously the MOV black vinyl is the same and cost far less. I like it better than the Miles pressing.

DK Pete and maui jim like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's my favorite sounding vinyl copy of the album.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No joke, I sampled a few and by far, the Music On Vinyl pressing is the best I've heard. Yes, that surprised me as well! The W2 is a muddy mess in comparison, IMHO.

24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Funny I just brought this up in a another thread on the ranking the Who albums.

The MOV pressing blew me away won't bother looking for an original now

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're not missing out. According to my personal experience and the dozens of needledrops I've sampled, they all sound bloated and muddy. The MOV was a revelation... and it's cheap, too!

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.