The Sparks Brothers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Jan 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

or, sing along, as loud as you wanted!

Al Smith likes this.
  2. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Singing “When I’m With You” aloud to an empty theatre is a delicious irony!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I just bought a bunch of $3 movie tickets at Costco to AMC, Regal, and Showcase Cinemas. Today, I looked to see if the Sparks documentary was playing at any of them.

Of course not. Those theaters are all showing the same 8 mostly crappy Hollywood big releases. If I want to watch F9, they all have me covered, though...

Oh well...

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The Sparks documentary is playing tomorrow at the AMC theatre in Danvers, MA, where I saw it last weekend

Veronica Mars likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting. OK. Maybe it's just the ones near me that play only hits...Hmmm...Thanks for the tip!

Veronica Mars likes this.
  6. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

You're welcome. It will be playing in the Danvers Liberty Tree Mall AMC until June 30th at 4:20 & 7:45 PM.

7. vince

This was distributed by Universal, right???
    That MAY mean that it'll show up on HBO, in about a half-a-year........maybe.....

8. Al Smith likes this.
  9. vince

Al Smith likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The **** does this guy think a hook even is?

One reason my wife is such a Sparks fan, and I agree, is they know how to turn repetition into a hook. It's been since Lil Beethoven that they've really gone full-bore into that idea ("My Baby's Taking Me Home" is the natural culmination), but even as early as "Wonder Girl," this was a major factor in their music.

There are many reasons not to like Sparks. The voice, the lyrics, the synthesizers, the look, whatever. Suggesting "lack of hooks" as one is just ****ing stupid.

11. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

I think the three songs he picked are from the shallow end of Sparks' pool.

If those are his favorites, he doesn't really "get" Sparks.

12. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Complete nonsense. He's entitled to his opinion but Kimono through Big Bear is full of hooks. They had plenty of hit singles in the UK and in Europe.

13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It might be playing in t least one of your local AMC theaters. I'd visit their website and search by your ZIP code.

14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I saw this today, first movie in a theatre since Pixar's Onward.

Love the band. I'm a "2nd phase Sparks" fan more than any other phase, but I also really liked FFS.

I liked the movie, but it ultimately feel more like a hagiography to me - which is fine - I think I just no longer like documentaries anymore - it's not this one that's done it.
    Too much talking about the band and not enough of the story of the band. I wish the brothers talked more.

15. Chris DeVoe

Shockingly, the film is going to be in theaters for another week! The AMC Studio 28 is still showing it this weekend.

16. Chris DeVoe

One of the best part about the transition from 35mm film to digital distribution is that, since they no longer have to make physical prints, tiny little films like this can play in multiple fields. And they can move the "film" from one auditorium to another with no hassle.

Back in the bad old days, they would have to make multiple prints, costing thousands of dollars in weighing as much as 100 lbs, ship that to theaters, where someone would have to assemble all of the reels onto a platter, and moving it from one screen to another would take hours.

So I love that tiny little films like this have the opportunity to appear on hundreds of screens.

MrCJF and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  17. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon wants 20 dollars to rent it

palisantrancho likes this.
  18. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

To be fair I don’t think that’s Amazon’s choice. That being said, if you’re a fan and haven’t seen it and can’t wait for the physical release, it’s worth it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Watched at home - I liked it much more on the small screen - can't say why.

palisantrancho likes this.
  20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I can't wait to watch it. I love Sparks! But I do believe charging $20 online is a bit extreme. Why would I pay at home more than it would cost me to see it on the big screen? Over time I am sure the price will go down, but not sure how long I will hold out. Does anyone know when it gets a release date to purchase? I can't imagine it would be much more than $20.

The article that says they have 25 albums searching for a hook is absolutely ridiculous. Their entire career is filled with them. Not many bands in the history of music can claim to be this consistent in quality for 50 years!

johnnyyen and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

North American tour was announced today. Looking forward to St. Paul.

February 7 – Los Angeles, CA @ Walt Disney Concert Hall
    February 8 – Los Angeles, CA @ Walt Disney Concert Hall
    March 11 – San Francisco, CA @ Warfield Theatre
    March 13 – Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom
    March 14 – Seattle, WA @ The Showbox
    March 15 – Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theatre
    March 18 – St. Paul, MN @ Fitzgerald Theatre
    March 19 – Chicago, IL @ Copernicus Center
    March 21 – Atlanta, GA @ The Eastern
    March 22 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
    March 24 – Knoxville, TN @ Big Ears Festival*
    March 25 – Raleigh, NC @ Lincoln Theatre
    March 26 – Washington, DC @ Lincoln Theatre
    March 28 – New York, NY @ The Town Hall
    March 30 – Boston, MA @ Boch Center Shubert Theatre
    April 1 – Royal Oak, MI @ Royal Oak Music Theatre
    April 2 – Toronto, ON @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre

Scope J likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Too bad we moved to Kansas City, as we were only a short bus ride from this venue on Lawrence Avenue.

23. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Which also finally explains this 2001 song for me:

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I had 2 Vancouver theaters play it. Socially distanced 10% capacity pricing is $15/head, the average year I only see 1-2 movies in theater, so I will spend $30 on a Blu ray rather than 2 tickets. I am under the impression the blu will be skimpy on bonus stuff, even if a commentary track is low hanging fruit.

Happy for success and look forward to the show here in March. Saw them Coachella about a decade ago and think I can see myself in those crowd shots from that webstream. Must be biggest US tour in nearly 40 years, 45 years as a headliner.

25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

[​IMG]

For the most part it's a great overview of their career. Because it's so thorough, it's also ****-numbingly long. I could have used an old-fashioned intermission for a stretch and a wee. Not many people in. I counted 23.

Sparks have released many (in my opinion) forgettable albums, yet a non-event like the 'Balls' received just as much screen time as 'Propaganda'. Seems somehow wrong but that's the way the brothers wanted the director to go.
    Loads of footage I'd never seen before.
    I'll be getting the dvd when it comes out. I guess that's where they'll make their money.

Apart from the mega-successful 'English' years, my favourite part of the documentary was the work they did with Giorgio Moroder. I never knew it was a happy accident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.