"The Steely Dan Band" releasing "Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' Live"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fictionalsounds, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

fishcane and DemonPreyer like this.
  2. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I am still mystified. Is Walter on "Northeast Corridor" or is this a recording from after his unfortunate demise ?

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Official website says (no years quoted):
    Northeast Corridor: Steely Dan Live! was recorded across tour dates at New York City’s Beacon Theatre, The Met Philadelphia, & more, and showcases selections from Steely Dan’s extraordinary catalog of slinky grooves, sleek subversive lyrics, and infectious hits.

fishcane likes this.
  4. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Thanks!

I saw that. Took it to mean 2019.

fishcane likes this.
  5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

You’re right, Sunken Condos was very poor. I really like Walter’s two solo albums, so I’d recommend them.

mr.dave likes this.
  6. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. Pre-ordered.

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Mr Sam, gregorya and AnalogJ like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I like Sunken Condos quite a bit, particularly the vinyl version, which sounds much more alive than than CD.

sbsugar, somnar, PhilBorder and 2 others like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm not really sure the point of the live version of the album, in terms of what they'll bring to it. The original was so beautifully done, played, and produced. If it's to merely reproduce what they did on the album, it's not necessary. If, on the other hand, it's to put a new spin, no pun intended, on the material, then I'm in.

10. DemonPreyer

DemonPreyer Forum Resident

I saw Adam Ant perform the Friend Or Foe album live and he did several songs out of sequence.

head_unit likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sure would like a CD version of the dukes 9of september DVD someday.................maybe, please....

head_unit and Usagi75 like this.
  12. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

For me, the appeal is seeing an artist perform the DEEP CUTS from whatever album they're playing start-to-finish. Like, if Springsteen had simply played River shows with "Drive All Night," "Point Blank," and "Wreck On The Highway" every night.... but no "Hungry Heart" or "Out In The Street".... I would've been 100% fine with that.

Oddly, the first time I ever saw an artist do this was 1990, and it was NOT for nostalgic purposes. Queensryche did the entire Operation: Mindcrime album live, in order, with visuals and so on.... on their headlining tour supporting Empire. They reasoned (perhaps correctly) that they might not always be headlining arenas, and this was probably their one chance to give that album the full treatment.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing more artists take that approach. Do the album in order when it's recent, and fresh, rather than 30+ years after the fact. OR do it completely unannounced.... which has happened in 2 of the 5 cases I've seen an entire album performed live. The gradual realization that seeps over the crowd with each successive song is something to behold.

Either way, though, it feels kinda pointless to release a live album after the fact. These kind of shows definitely tend to be "had to be there" moments.

head_unit, RoyalScam and kevimetal like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i actually saw jackson browne do exactly what you are saying in atlantic city.

he did not play 'doctor my eyes' or 'somebody's baby' and it was one of the best jackson browne shows i ever saw.

i found the setlist from july 6 2013:

1. Black and White

2. Call It a Loan

3. Late for the Sky

4. For America

5. Rock Me on the Water

6. Rosie

7. Looking East

8. That Girl Could Sing

9. These Days

10. Redneck Friend

11. Running on Empty

12. Fountain of Sorrow

13. The Naked Ride Home

14. The Pretender

15. In the Shape of a Heart

16. Take It Easy

17. Encore:
    18. I Am a Patriot

19. Before the Deluge

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Bands used to do the same thing at "fan club" shows. Not sure if it's still a thing or not. I know Pearl Jam's done a few over the years where the setlist was curated by (or geared towards) hardcore fans, and it's fantastic. All deep cuts, no overplayed hits.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It looks like a bootleg. And suggests the recording within will have the fidelity from that back row balcony perspective.

Although its still much better than "Alive in America." Possibly the worst cover ever

head_unit likes this.
  16. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I kind of don’t agree. They hadn’t been around for a long time when that record came out, so I looked at it like they were laughing at themselves - like they were mummies dug up from another time. It seemed very Becker to me.

The new live thing? yeah, totally looks like something you would buy in a Tokyo bootleg record shop. But the sound quality is pretty good from the one track I’ve heard

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

negative1 likes this.
  18. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

Absolutely delighted to learn of the two releases, especially the Nightly Live. I was at the Beacon show, it was fantastic. I'm always happy to hear a classic album performed live (often more vibrantly), or even just to hear a different take on a recording that I've been listening to for decades. Steely Dan has for the past 15-20 years been one of the finest touring bands I've ever heard, performing highly complex pieces with extraordinary skill and artistry. And to my ears, Donald's voice hasn't lost nearly as much as many of his contemporaries, perhaps because it wasn't operatic to begin with.

I agree with earlier posts that this should be a larger box set covering several of the album nights. But it does look like they're trying to keep costs way down, hoping to make at least a small return in a market where streaming services, YouTube and other channels have rendered it a losing proposition for most artists to release anything new. Hopefully they'll see a strong response that will encourage them to release more. I listen to a lot of Steely Dan shows, and it's nice finally to have a way to pay them for some of it.

F.U.B.B and Atmospheric like this.
  19. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Excellent news. can't wait to get these.

Hopefully, there will be more in the future, maybe of the other
    albums.

later

20. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Their covers have always been equal parts lazy and terrible (aside from The Nightfly). So no surprise with this one.

Love Sunken Condos from front to back. Terrific record.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

He never sang Maxine live, TMK. Always left that to the ladies.
    Glad they left out that awful cover of Mis'ry and the Blues

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

+1

somnar and linklinc like this.
  23. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

+2

I also think Everything Must Go is a damned fine record. I like it more than Two Against Nature.

Lovealego, kmk pdx, Ronnieb and 7 others like this.
  24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I sold Two Against Nature. Everything Must Go is a solid lp. Green Book and Things I Miss are favorites.

Musicisthebest and Atmospheric like this.