"The Steely Dan Band" releasing "Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' Live"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fictionalsounds, Jul 26, 2021.

1. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

That was 2007 in Berlin. Anyway, I am aware how great Steely Dan was in many concerts. And it wasn't the first time, I saw a tremdendous differences. The Free Spirits Concert springs to mind. Tokyo performance was incredible, almost perfect. Berlin totally sloppy, to say the least.

Anyway, Dan's Live DVD from around 2000 is one of my all-time favorits. Therefore my disappointment when they totally sucked in Berlin.

head_unit likes this.
  2. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'll take the counterpoint on that. I couldn't live with any of the tracks being the only version of a song I have, but overall I quite like it. Babylon Sisters especially is pretty great. What is it that folks dislike about it? Enquiring minds want to know I suppose.

OT, but I'm on record liking another live record that people love to hate: Commander Cody "We've Got A Live One Here!" Yeah, the production is kind of thin, John Tichy is MIA, and Lance Dickerson crashing on every downbeat late in the set gets pretty obnoxious, but overall there's some pretty great stuff on that one as well. San Antonio Rose is terrific.

head_unit likes this.
  3. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I haven't listened widely to live (post-1974) Steely Dan, but in what I have heard the arrangements and performances just sound cheesy and "lite jazz", almost like musical revue-type stuff. I prefer the smoking 1974 shows with the Baxter-Dias-Porcaro-Hodder lineup

frightwigwam likes this.
  4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

You don't know what lite jazz is, obviously. Or maybe you just hate any jazz, period. Or you don't like horns?

The original SD touring band had its charms. I enjoy the few good recordings of them that are out there, but I get why Don & Walt ended up becoming studio rats for the rest of the '70s.

Technocentral likes this.
  5. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Jesus, relax...

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Quite happy to buy these. I'm sure any issues with Don's vocals will have been taken care of in post-production; just hope it doesn't have that sterile vibe that Alive in America had.

It's a great shame that the issues between Fagen and Becker's estate seem doomed to plague any (already admittedly slim) chance of a release of any archival stuff.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    rockclassics and misteranderson like this.
  7. SFM1965

SFM1965 Well-Known Member

What is the obstacle there?

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

There were/are legal issues that have arisen since Becker's death. Didn't Donlad sue becker's estate? I think it's over the use of the name Steely Dan. DF claimed they both made a agreement years back that should one of them die, the other can go on using the name. There may well be more to it, of course. However, as I'm sure you know, the biggest obstacle to releasing any demos/outtakes/alt. versions/unreleased songs has always been Donald and Walter.

misteranderson likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It was over Fagen having the right to buy out Becker’s shares in Steely Dan, Inc. upon Becker’s death. I seem to recall it seemed to look pretty cut and dry to me when I looked at the corporate agreement, but who knows? And other things probably did get dragged into it (like Fagen touring under the Dan name) as the litigation remained unsettled and Becker’s shares still remained with the Becker estate.

I don’t recall seeing where anything was settled publicly, but given the recent RSD re-issues and these releases, I’m guessing that even though the initial litigation was very public, maybe something got settled fairly privately and quietly.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Thanks. I'd like to think so.

11. SFM1965

SFM1965 Well-Known Member

That was also my conclusion, although I was wondering if there was something I'd missed.

The only thing about the upcoming SD release that got me thinking was that it chose a post-Becker show, perhaps suggesting that the Becker estate still have to agree to any material involving Walter. That might put a spanner in the works of even a reissue campaign, let alone unreleased archive material.

12. brinkeguthrie

brinkeguthrie Forum Resident

PineBark likes this.
  13. brinkeguthrie

brinkeguthrie Forum Resident

14. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

John Cale did this.

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Listening to it right now. Its fantastic so I have no idea what you are hearing.

Atmospheric likes this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I am the exact opposite here. Didn't find much to like with it.
    Two is fantastic and I can listen to the whole thing back to front and it just flies.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I kept both. Sell Steely Dan? Never.
    I do prefer 2vN though.

Not as bad as this:

[​IMG]

Though the fact this has Everybody's Gone To The Movies (Demo) on it, sees me in a forgiving mood (and saved me from buying Citizen Steely Dan. Seriously, if you want bad album art, look at some of the stuff Graham Parker has released over the last 20 years...

head_unit likes this.
  18. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

I've heard the ladies' version of Maxine, which is quite good, but I believe that Donald was singing as well at the Beacon that night.

Also, I love that cover of Mis'ry and the Blues from his Morph tour.

I also think the Nightfly may (by a narrow margin) be the best album off all the Steely Dan/Don/Walter albums. Timeless.

Technocentral and linklinc like this.
  19. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

New Frontier is on Spotify now, sounds fantastic, wonder if much post was done on the vocals in particular? No cowbell at end though!

Ports and uffeolby like this.
  20. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Easily the best song on Everything Must Go. Instant classic.

I333I and rodentdog like this.
  21. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Easily the best song on Sunken Condos (Miss Marlene #2). Instant classic.

smilin ed likes this.
  22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

:rolleyes:

marcb likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'd put it firmly behind the first six SD albums, slightly better than Morph and Kamakiriad, much better than Gaucho and all subsequent SD albums.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  25. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I always liked it too.