SH Spotlight The Steve Hoffman Forum Glossary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curiosity, Dec 30, 2007.

  1. Jamie Tate

    Jamie Tate New Member

    Would that be like Duophonic and electronically re-channeled for stereo?
  2. keoki82

    keoki82 Active Member

    e.g., master tape boxes that herald "MONO to STEREO?"
  3. Perisphere

    Perisphere Forum Resident

    OOPS just refers to reversing the polarity on one stereo channel, then mixing the two channels to mono, so you hear everything except what is panned to the centre in the stereo mix.
  4. keoki82

    keoki82 Active Member

    Essentially, a "karaoke" effect used by some computer programs and component DVD players! Of course, the vocal is only truly removed when it is dead center of the mix. In addition, if there's any sonic bleeding of the center information to other studio mics at time of recording, it is still heard when this effect is used (faintly).
  5. John Cantrell

    John Cantrell Active Member

    Outta here
    Smiley-Faced or Smiley-Faced EQ

    Refers to the practice of using equalization to boost the bass and the highs exclusively at the expense of the midrange. So called for the appearance of the equalizer while in this mode.

    Illustration of a Smiley Face:

  6. John Cantrell

    John Cantrell Active Member

    Outta here
    Ear Bleeder or Earbleeder

    Used to describe an extremely shrill sounding recording. In most cases the treble range has been overly boosted to achieve this effect.

    There have been no recorded cases of ears actually bleeding while listening to such a recording.
  7. Grant

    Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

    Or, the upper-midrange (around the 4,000kHz - 10,000kHz) has been boosted, usually with EQ and band compression, to the point of literal ear-pain.
  8. LeeS

    LeeS Music Fan

    Nice graphics. :righton:
  9. doowopman

    doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

    Over and out
    Drop-out: An anomaly that occurs with some analog tapes. A few seconds to a few minutes of music that momentarily "drops out" in one or both channels.

    Boomy: Bass frequencies have been overemphasized either during mixing or mastering.

    EQ'ed Dub Tape: A tape for cutting vinyl LP's with the needed EQ, limiting, etc moves already "built in."

    JPN: Proper abbreviation for a disc that has been manufactured in Japan.

    WG: Proper abbreviation for a disc that has been manufactured in West Germany.

    Dead Wax (aka The Lead-Out Groove): The almost blank space at the end of each side of a vinyl LP. This is where matrix numbers and mastering engineers' initials are etched.
  10. John Carsell

    John Carsell Forum Resident

    Northwest Illinois

    The gaps on a LP, CD or tape between songs.
  11. Matthew B.

    Matthew B. Scream Quietly

    Tokyo, Japan
    They do? Seriously? I've always understood it to refer to excessive treble. I.e., the opposite of dull.

    Bass can be rolled off too.
  12. therockman

    therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

    I have never heared the term "bright" used to refer to compression, just to excessive treble. Grant, could you please post an example of somebody using the term "bright" to refer to compression.
  13. shokhead

    shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

    SoCal, Long Beach
    Dull like your heads are dirty on your 8-track player.
    Bright like your treble is +100
  14. bdiament

    bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

    New York
    Hi John,

    This is a new one for me.
    I've always referred to the gaps ("gaps" or "pauses" on a CD) in the old term we used for vinyl: spirals.

    While I'm at it, "dead wax" is relatively new to me too. We always referred to this as the "lead out".

    Best regards,
  15. Dave D

    Dave D Done!

    Milton, Canada
    I think rills is British for the gaps between songs on vinyl, not any other format.
  16. bdiament

    bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

    New York
    Thanks Dave,

    I've only heard of "rills" before as features (long, narrow valleys) on the moon.

    Best regards,
  17. Dillydipper

    Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

    Central PA
    +1 - the poster agrees with something another poster has stated.

    Coaster - a defective CD-R; a member tried unsatisfactorily to burn a disc on his computer, so since it doesn't work, it's only good to put under a drink glass.

    Matrix number - tells you which exact press-run your album comes from. On an LP, it's scratched into the empty space between the grooves and the label n the playing surface; on a CD, it's the teensy lettering on the inner ring close to the hole. A "-2" at the end of the number, for instance, tells you this is the second time the master has been used to make a run of LP's. This is not an exact science.

    Bootleg - a recording produced a non-legit tape source, most often a tape made at a concert, or sometimes sourced from smuggled studio tapes.

    Pirate - a CD, LP or cassette copied from an existing legit album, masquerading as the real thing. The record industry often fails to distinguish a Pirate from a Bootleg when trying to make the case for increased protection from lost profit involving these.
  18. 8tracks

    8tracks Forum Addict

    San Diego, CA USA
    To me, these two examples border on trolling. To me an example of thread capping is taking the recent Anyone Buying LPs from thread and turning it into a discussion about how the store's selection of CDs is a fraction of what it once was. No disagreements, but that's not what's being discussed.

    Both divert from the main topic, but trolling smells of wanting to start a fight, while thread capping usually has no such intentions or will state a contrary view in a more civil manner.

    Does anyone else see the difference this way?
  19. Stefan

    Stefan Senior Member

    Montreal, Canada
    You're right about the trolling aspect. Threadcrapping, however, can be harder to pin down. After all, it's human nature that in a discussion the topic will drift somewhat as the conversation evolves. How often in real life would you see someone in the middle of a group of people conversing suddenly stop and say "Hey stop conversation crapping!!!" ? Sometimes I think we all get a little too zealous in shouting threadcrap.
  20. Metoo

    Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

    Spain (EU)
    According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

    Pronunciation: 'fəts
    Function: intransitive verb
    Etymology: perhaps part modification, part translation of Yiddish arumfartsn zikh, literally, to fart around
    Date: circa 1930

    slang : FOOL AROUND 1 ― often used with around <futz around without producing any worthwhile music ― John Koegel>
  21. Metoo

    Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

    Spain (EU)

    Making a digital recording of a HiRez disc (SACD, DVD-A, DAD, HDAD) through the analog outs of an universal player, which makes it quite similar to doing a needledrop, hence the derivative term 'laserdrop'.

    These recordings are usually done with the purpose of having a backup of the disc in another format at the same, or different, resolution as the original.
  22. Grant

    Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

    Actually, changing the topic of a thread is called hijacking.
  23. KevinP

    KevinP Forum introvert

  24. Dalziel53

    Dalziel53 Senior Member

    One term that has intrigued me is "Fold Down" refering to a mono version of some CD or LP. I'm assuming that this refers to taking a stereo source and creating a mono version by "folding down" two stereo tracks on to one mono track.

    First, I'm interested if my explanation is correct? Second, I'd like to understand a bit more on why people do this (I assume there is no mono source and they are trying to create a mono version). Third, I'd like to understand why a true mono is better than a Fold Down (or is it all one word "Foldown"?)

  25. Cymbaline

    Cymbaline Shiny Dog

    Buda, TX
    As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), a true mono mix is better than a fold-down, because it was specifically mixed for mono.

    When you create a fold-down by just combining the L+R channels into one, like hitting the Mono button on your stereo, the Left and Right information is reduced by 3dB, while the center information stays the same. So it's not as "true" a mix as one that was dedicated for Mono.

Share This Page