The STILL working vintage CD Player thread - pictures, comments & appreciation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I've had a lot of players in my time, most have broken. Two OPPOs, two Sonys, Technics carousel, NAD (either 2 or 3, can't remember) and - well, probably a few more. :laugh:

While on a speaker hunt, I came across a 36 (or so?) year old Phillips CD473. Still works. A swing arm player, whatever that is. Certainly not the best one on the Phillips range during that era. Came across this review:

1988. New around 400 euro. CDM-4/11 (“composite” read plastic) transport, TDA1541 DAC. Like all swing-arm/TDA1541 equipped players, it sounds full and smooth in the bass, creamy in the midrange and fluid in treble. Yet it is a bit fat and full....

upload_2024-4-2_19-57-20.jpeg

So far, I'm very pleased with the sound! And it's groovy, too. :laugh:

What gems are lurking in your racks or storage areas?

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1991 Denon DCD-670 still works flawlessly, also has SPDIF co-axial output also flawless. Even sounds good. The remote remains full function.

3. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I’ve got one that might fit the description, thought it’s a little on the young side.

Cambridge Audio DVD-87 circa 2005. I used it for CD and SACD. Quite nice build and sound for the price. It was rumored to be a prettier version of a contemporary Oppo unit.

Does 19 years old count as vintage, or just plain old?

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

As far as I'm concerned, it's vintage. Especially since many of my players struggled to make the 10 year mark.... :sigh:

PH416156, chris8519, Rick58 and 5 others like this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

iirc I bought this new in 1986(?). Made a power supply and used it in my car. Plugged it into a Blaupunkt head unit. It worked last time I tried it, less than a year ago,

[​IMG]

6. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

My 'oldest' working CD player is a Sony CDP-XA20ES.

[​IMG]

7. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

1991 Yamaha CDC 715 5 disc carousel .....works fine sounds pretty decent too.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wish I still had my old Sony 707. What a great sounding machine.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My first year or more of CD life involved my brother's Sony CDP-101. The first player I bought was a Yamaha CD-2, which lasted 7 or 8 years, I guess. Around 1992, I purchased a new Carver sd/a-450, which is STILL my cd player 32 years later!
    2776011-1e9b4803-carver-sda-450-cd-player.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  10. Four Winds

Four Winds Solipsistic Audiophile - sounds good is good!

While not entirely vintage, I still have an Ah! Tjeob CD 4000 (tubed) from 1999 bought at Upscale. It has to warm up for 45 minutes to clear fog off the laser, but it still works like a champ. Ah! - the precursor to PrimaLuna - modified an entry level Marantz player to create their tubed version.

11. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

My brother in law still uses my old Sony cdp302 mkIi. That was a cool machine, you could see the disc spin behind a semi transparent mirror.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

13. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I had an XA20ES in rack with the JA20ES MD deck. They were quite the pretty pair, with sound to match.

jonwoody and John3655 like this.
  14. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I love those pics. Really cool.

jonwoody and LA2019 like this.
  15. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Still using my 1994 vintage Sony CDP-XA7ES in champagne finish that I imported from Japan nearly eight years ago. Pretty much my end-game player at this stage. I do pamper it and only play it occasionally as parts are non-existent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lpfreak1170, Paul_s, Lenny99 and 20 others like this.
  16. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I still have the first CD player I ever bought — an Akai CD-A30, circa 1986. Very basic, but it still works! (I later upgraded to a Denon DCD-910, which also still works.)

[​IMG]

17. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

My Cambridge Audio D300 from 1999 or so is still playing great and going strong in my bedroom system. I had the tray belt replaced around 15 years ago but has been playing like a dream since.

lpfreak1170, crooner and John3655 like this.
  18. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

My second CD player, a Technics SL-PG300, bought new in 1991, still works fine. I don't have a photo of it handy, but here's one of the same model from the web. Originally I kept it in my office at work and used the headphone jack, but it's been part of the living room stereo system at home since I changed jobs in 1993.

[​IMG]

19. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I have a few 90's portable cd players I keep in rotation for headphones listening.

This is a 1993 fisher one of favorites
    [​IMG]

20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I bought a CDP-101 in 1983 or 1984, when they first came out. The second one in the state of Alaska, the dealer kept the first. $900!
    He did throw in 6 CD's. ;)

lpfreak1170 and TimB like this.
  21. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I've had several vintage players over the years one of them being a Philips 880 I believe. It was the one and only cd player I'd ever seen that had an external heatsink on the back. I can't remember the model numbers of the early Sonys that came and went. A big Toshiba unit was here for a bit as was a Denon 1560.
    Honestly I didn't think any of them sounded good so they all got sold while they were still operational.

lpfreak1170 and John3655 like this.
  22. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I've still got my Technics SL-P999 that I retired only a year or so ago, moving it into storage in a wardrobe. Still fully functional. Bought it right at the start of 1990 to replace my then 4ish year old Technics SL-P3. Lovely machine with lightening fast seeking when selecting tracks during play. Wasn't as fast once the laser had to replaced a number of years later from overuse though still rock solid. It struggled later on with CD-Rs but they weren't even a thing when the player was released in 1988/9. Even after 34 years it's still in beautiful condition.

[​IMG]

Image found on web, not my actual unit.

23. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Marantz CD 63 SE still in great working order. Not sure the year, think it was mid 90s.

[​IMG]

24. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Great Anri album.

25. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

I have two Rotel rcd-855, tda1541 based cd players, one I've modded (detailed in the DIY thread page 26) and one stock. I listen to the modded one quite often, recently it was only working for about 4 hours when a wall of noise would sweep in, basically the chips were getting hot seems to be cured so far with a few glue on heatsinks. I have the tda1541 replacement chip waiting in the wings to try. At some point all the tda1541s and saa7220 chips will die of old age.

jusbe, lpfreak1170 and Old Rusty like this.