The Strawbs album by album thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Not quite where I came in. That would be 'Bursting'. But I heard them doing GNW numbers when I saw them in '73 so I knew I wanted to hear it. I did eventually, months later, but not through a listening booth in a shop.
    I was dating a girl who was from a big church-going family. I went with her as support in any church activities they did. Helped setting up stalls etc. One time, in a local community centre, one of her friends brought some LPs in to play. I rushed across the room immediately when I recognised the vocals. It was the first time I'd seen the open-out triple sleeve. Whoa! Deep. It was no 'Bursting' but contained some stunning tracks. Hard sell to my more 'rocky' friends though, so it became a solitary album for me.

Here's some photos I took of the GNW reunion show at the Turk's Head, Twickenham. A Strawbs without Lambert is unthinkable, but I do miss Tony Hooper. Nice that they included Brian Willoughby too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Its truly sad how the dynamics are squashed on the A&M remaster (and yes, hard on the ears after about 20 minutes). Check out the dynamic range comparison with the Halcyon Days compilation:
    Benedictus: DR7 (DR12 on US Halcyon Days)
    Queen of Dreams: DR7 (DR13 on US Halcyon Days)
    New World: DR6 (DR11 on US Halcyon Days)
    Heavy Disguises: DR6 (DR12 on US Halcyon days)
    On Growing Older: DR6 (DR12 on UK Halcyon Days)

As you would suspect, when I want to hear these 5 great tunes its Halcyon Days for me every time.

yesstiles likes this.
  3. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Wow! It looks like it was in someone's home. Those are some great photos. Turk's Head must be a very small venue.

Andy Smith and carlwm like this.
  4. Andy Smith

It was just a pub gig. I think historically it probably held some significance for the band. Or the area did. Maybe.
    I didn't overthink it. I was just overjoyed to be able to see a past reincarnation of my favourite band. More than worth the 400 miles round-trip. It was an amazing night for me. Emotional :).
    The harmonies that evening were on fire. Love to hear tapes from the event. Thought something from the night might have turned up on the 'A Taste Of Strawbs' set as it was such a special occasion, but nothing did.

Instant Karma, carlwm and Dok like this.
  5. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I've never quite been able to settle on which Strawbs album is my personal favorite, but it's either Grave New World or Hero and Heroine. The biggest argument in favor of GNW for me is the three song run of "Queen of Dreams"/"Heavy Disguise"/"New World": All three are just outstanding. As with most Strawbs albums, there's some less interesting (to me) material mixed in among the classics, mainly on the second side. The album has my favorite Strawbs cover artwork as well (with the trifold inside adding an additional benefit). It's one of the better adaptations of pre-existing (and somewhat famous) art for an album cover.

Andy Smith, Dok and Pete Puma like this.
  6. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Grave New World is definitely one of the greatest albums of all time IMO ... and has one of the greatest album covers too. I have a few versions ... the early Japanese D18Y4118 is probably the best on CD AFAIK.

[​IMG]

yesstiles, knb, Instant Karma and 3 others like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Enjoying this thread but disappointed that nobody's mentioned the Sandy Denny album from 67.
    [​IMG]

rikki nadir and Andy Smith like this.
  8. Andy Smith

I prefer this cover with the chalk drawings on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Ignatius, rikki nadir and carlwm like this.
  9. Andy Smith

I love the patter that leads into 'Dance On'.

10. The 1972 single Lay Down has a B-side that seems to take the p!ss out of David Bowie for some reason. Backside by Ciggy Barlust (and The Whales From Venus) is a pretty cool song that certainly fits in with the other songs on Bursting... Its available on the UK version of Halcyon Days and as a bonus track on Bursting.

The boy stood on the burning stage, his back against the mast
    He did not dare to turn around 'til David Bowie passed
    The stardust painted round his eyes was really fading fast

Oh but I think I'm going to come again

The spiders from Uranus were climbing up the walls
    With such a spacy oddity, his fey libido calls
    But people in the front row can only see his smalls

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Andy Smith likes this.
  11. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Lots of lovely Mellotron on this album (and many other Strawbs albums). See the excellent Planet Mellotron site to point out on which tracks it features:
    Planet Mellotron Album Reviews: Strawbs

12. Did you like it?

carlwm likes this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Still digesting it but yes it's a good 'un. A couple more spins and I'll go into a bit more detail! :righton:

Reminds me I haven't given an opinion on Grave New World either. Must get that done too.

Pete Puma likes this.
  14. joeym3

joeym3 Forum Resident

How do the SHM CDs sound compared to the A&M reissues? Love this band!

15. I don’t have the SHM cds, but the dynamic ranges listed online are a big improvement over the remasters from the 90s. Except for the bonus tracks appear to be the same compressed ones from the remasters.

joeym3 likes this.
  16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Maybe because he tried to steal Wakeman away before Yes managed it?

Chemically altered and carlwm like this.
  17. Did Bowie try this after Wakeman became a full-time member of the Strawbs in 1970? I read recently a funny story in another thread about an encounter between, Bowie, Adrian Belew and Frank Zappa. Frank was quite pissed at Bowie for enticing Adrian away and repeated "F-you Captain Tom". demoting him in the process.

18. Andy Smith

Been going through some of my old Strawbs stuff. Lot of fun. Unearthed some 80s Strawbs Office mail-outs. Here's one where I've put ticks against names to indicate that I'd had contact with most of these other supporters. Where have they all gone I wonder...? :). Happy days. Addresses blocked out for data-protection legalities. Wonder if all these guys & gals got what they were looking for?

[​IMG]

rushed again and carlwm like this.
  19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Bursting
    At The Seems - 1973. The Strawbs' most commercially successful album in the UK with the UK pop chart hits Laydown and Part Of The Union. I ignore the latter song, not because it's pop but just because I feel that it's not up with the quality of this album. Lady Fuchsia, Tears And Pavan, The Winter And The Summer, The River/Down By The Sea are my favorites on this one. Gone is Hooper who was replaced by Dave Lambert. The rest are still Cousins, Weaver, Hudson and Ford. There's still lots of good mellotron on this one.

Dok likes this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Grave New World

Classic Strawbs! One of their very best. The switch from Rick Wakeman to Blue Weaver feels seamless. Indeed, if anything Blue seems to be a better fit for the band.

Benedictus is a tremendous opener, stately and epic. This was the song that got me interested me in the band when I heard the Baroque And Roll version on the radio and it remains one of my favourites. There's a little bit of a lull then, for me. Hey Little Man is a pleasant enough piece of fluff but I've never quite manged to get my head around Queen Of Dreams. The noisy bit in the middle just interrupts the flow too much, I reckon. It's there, it's loud and it adds nothing. From here though we're back up to Benedictus levels again, for pretty much the rest of the record. Heavy Disguise is just marvellous. In the sleevenotes to my CD, Dave Cousins suggests that it's John Ford's best Strawbs song and I tend to agree with him. Acoustic guitars, impassioned vocals and melodramatic brass arrangement. Stunning! Speaking of melodrama, New World is packed full of it. The strings pack a real punch here, elevating what is already a massive song right into the stratosphere.

After, another Hey Little Man excerpt allows us to catch our breath, Side two opens with The Flower And The Young Man, a delightful folk pastiche which starts with a massed bank of choral vocals before Tony Hooper takes the lead and leads us wistfully through an allegorical year. The instrumental parts with Richard Hudson hitting seven bells out of his drums under what sounds like a delicate synth oboe, are remarkable. From the folk side of the band to the prog with the heavy - in every sense - Tomorrow . Dave spits out the lyrics with real venom pouring invective and ire all over erstwhile band mate Mr Wakeman. To further cock a snook in the Yes man's direction, the track is dominated by Blue Weaver's organ (as it were!). The reflective On Growing Older comes next, a lovely lilting tune and a lyric far too full of regret for a writer who is not yet thirty. One can only hoe it wasn't autobiographical! Opinions differ on whether Oh Me Oh My, a rare enough Tony Hooper composition, is a charming piece of whimsy or a rancid piece of.... well, you get the picture. I'm in the former camp. It's fun, it fits the concept and it doesn't even last thirty seconds! What not to like? (Please note this question is rhetorical! :)).

The album winds down with a pair of short, quiet songs that contemplate taking that final step towards the edge of the perch, Richard Hudson's Is It Today, Lord? and Dave's beautiful piano led The Journey's End. A gentle conclusion to an emotional roller coaster.

21. I never picked-up on the Wakeman reference in Tomorrow. I had been aware that the line in Benedictus "All those who cause us pain" was a dig at Rick.

For appreciating Queen of Dreams more I suggest ignoring the bridge that irritates you and focus on some of the best lyrics Cousins ever put to music -that and the lovely mellotron flute.:angel:

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a fair point about Queen Of Dreams. There's certainly lots to like on the track.

My searing insights into Dave Cousins' lyrical targets come from the man himself from the sleevenotes of my CD. :)

Apparently it wasn't so much that Rick left the band as the way he did it, with no personal contact.

Pete Puma likes this.
  23. Andy Smith

I had totally forgotten that!

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes, I believe he was slated to be a Spider but turned that down for Yes.

carlwm and Pete Puma like this.
  25. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

*Bump* BATS posted above. ^^^^

carlwm likes this.